Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 15:27   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Shatabdi takes 5 hours to reach Bangalore from Chennai. Heck, I have done Chennai Bangalore in my Bullet motorcycle, following all traffic rules, adhering to speed limits etc in 5/5.5 hours flat. 60 kmph for a super fast train is totally unjustified.

Similar is/would be the case with Pune Mumbai corridor.
I agree. Any train running on the existing trains cannot be termed superfast just because it skips some stations.
The idea of a high speed train is one that will have minimal stops and have its dedicated train line with the best possible technology. China started late, but they have already made huge strides in this area. Why can India not develop such technology here? Is it because people with such skillsets move abroad for better opportunities? Why does that happen?
Or are we depriving deserving candidates from having higher education, perhaps by our reservation/ category/ quota mindset?

Oh wait, did I just open a huge Pandora's box?
Old 17th January 2013, 17:51   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I agree. Any train running on the existing trains cannot be termed superfast just because it skips some stations.
The idea of a high speed train is one that will have minimal stops and have its dedicated train line with the best possible technology. China started late, but they have already made huge strides in this area. Why can India not develop such technology here? Is it because people with such skillsets move abroad for better opportunities? Why does that happen?
Or are we depriving deserving candidates from having higher education, perhaps by our reservation/ category/ quota mindset?

haha. leaving aside the burning questions, technology transfer is not hard at all in such cases - there will be a global tender everytime something as significant as this is planned . It as, someone pointed out earlier, a case of reactive governance rather than proactive governance - and hence something smart which could have been done easily, now will be cumbersome to do.

(Even present metros being planned in cities, all had Indian Railways people being sent abroad to be trained etc. I know people in IRS in Bombay who were sent abroad for training for Bombay metro, 4 years back - and the metro is not yet functional.)
Old 17th January 2013, 18:12   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Yep you are right.

Indian Decision makers are yet to mature. I would like india to be at least 50% as good as Europe. When Europe can rise from Age of Empires to what they are today, it is possible but will/does not happen in india.

Forget a high speed train service. Cops are unable to enforce traffic rules on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. We pay so much toll already and it is for that toll, service is being expected. I still notice 2 wheelers on the right most lane on the wrong side.

Expressway is a beautiful road no doubt but the lack of policing makes it dangerous.

You Hit the nail. Deserving candiates go abroad as facilities are better there. In India, I am sorry to say but even for basic rights, we need to pay money. In other countries you need to bribe only for a deviation, but here we need to bribe even if we are abiding by all rules.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:06   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I feel it might be a good idea to stop at McDonalds Kalamboli and again stop at some restaurant at Wakar Pune. I am sure a tummy-full at McDonalds would carry us till Pune which is around 2 hrs drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
So a coffee/Tea in a Thermos Flask does the trick for me.
It takes about 1 hour and 25 minutes to do the Kalamboli to Wakad route even while doing 80 / 90 speed. I do it regularly. I am not sure why one needs to keep eating for such a small duration. Even during our daily routines, we'd not eat or even drink beverages this frequently.
Old 19th January 2013, 10:43   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It takes about 1 hour and 25 minutes to do the Kalamboli to Wakad route even while doing 80 / 90 speed. I do it regularly. I am not sure why one needs to keep eating for such a small duration. Even during our daily routines, we'd not eat or even drink beverages this frequently.
Driving for me is a very enjoyable and refreshing affair. The tea/coffee/ cold water part just makes the party more merrier.
The idea is to come out of fatigue.

If you have children accompanying, you never know when a specific 'tantrum' would throw up. You should better be equipped with knowledge of the eateries around your route for your own good.

Cheers
Abhijeet
Old 28th January 2013, 10:23   #156
Senior - BHPian

Just read this: http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c...w/18217540.cms

5 persons killed in an accident on the Pune-Mumbai E-Way this morning, around 9 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 18:20   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Just read this: http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c...w/18217540.cms

5 persons killed in an accident on the Pune-Mumbai E-Way this morning, around 9 AM.
This morning, I did see some cars parked on the left while coming from Pune to Mumbai. Some were police cars / tow trucks but I did not stop to see whether it was major/minor accident. Just mind noted that something must have happened there.

The TV actors accident happened in the night. But this was in broad daylight. Hard to understand.
Old 30th January 2013, 09:42   #158
BHPian

The police have started a new drive on the expressway, they calculate the time taken from one toll to the other toll which is 100 km and if you cross within half hour then they fine you for speeding. I think this is a positive measure to check over speeding on the expressway.

Last edited by dkhatau : 30th January 2013 at 10:01.
Old 30th January 2013, 09:58   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
The police have started a new drive on the expressway, they calculate the time taken from one toll to the other toll which is 100 km and if you cross within half hour then they fine you for speeding. I think these is a positive measure to check over speeding on the expressway.
Distance between the 2 tolls is 50km. The entire expressway is only 95km. Which expressway are you talking about?
Old 30th January 2013, 10:05   #160
BHPian

Quote:
The police have started a new drive on the expressway, they calculate the time taken from one toll to the other toll which is 100 km and if you cross within half hour then they fine you for speeding. I think this is a positive measure to check over speeding on the expressway.
The total length of expressway is 90 km and distance between 2 toll booths is around 55 km. Even trucks can cover this distance easily in 1 hour.

It will be better if the police work to keep out 2-wheelers and unfit trucks away from expressway. They will surely reduce accidents.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:30   #161
BHPian

sorry here is the link with actual data.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c.../18249595.cms?
Old 30th January 2013, 10:41   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Anyway, I reiterate my point that there are more dangerous vehicles moving on the expressway. You can see trucks moving without tail lamps/reflectors, overloaded trucks, good for nothing mini buses/tempos. I've seen 2-wheelers driving rashly even during rains and also talking on phone! Does Mr. Bhujbal have any plans to tackle these?
Old 30th January 2013, 15:14   #163
BHPian

Quote:
I like this. I regularly come across many such vehicles on expressway and used to wonder why the police cannot fine these on the toll booth? I did not think of this way of calculating time between toll booths but I was thinking on the speed gun + intimation at the toll booth model. Also, I think 200 is less. The fine should have been such that it should have made offenders think twice before overspeeding.

Still some people will escape paying this even if they overspeed. I have seen some SUVs like Fortuner or Range Rover Evoque driven fast and rash but these guys stop at Food Malls. So effectively the time taken will be more than 30 minutes since the food malls are before toll booths barring the BPCL one.

Last edited by shipnil : 30th January 2013 at 15:20.
Old 30th January 2013, 16:31   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am not sure why one needs to keep eating for such a small duration. Even during our daily routines, we'd not eat or even drink beverages this frequently.
Many of us eat on expressway to avoid eating in mumbai which is more time consuming than expressway. Similarly, many people who travel by train eat heavy breakfast in Deccan Queen and do not eat anything in Mumbai. They again eat on the way back in train. I trust most visitors from Pune who travel by road also resort to similar routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
It will be better if the police work to keep out 2-wheelers and unfit trucks away from expressway. They will surely reduce accidents.
In addition, one also needs to keep tab on numerous Volvo buses who regularly travel at 130 kmph+ in the overtaking lane.

One assuring news is they want to install stretched cable barriers along the median. (I do not remember exact name but read in today's papers) These were earlier used in Ambenali ghat (between Poladpur and M'shwar) and Pasarani Ghat (between Wai and Panchgani) and were found very effective in keeping stray vehicles on track without much damage to vehicle or barrier. Let us hope they do it soon.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:06   #165
BHPian

http://moneylife.in/article/mumbai-p...ing/31057.html

Another interesting article on expressway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks