Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2023, 17:12   #196
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

In this whole Sunroof craze, kids are being taken for a ride - excuse the pun, not intended. What I am trying to say is that kids trust adults to take care of their safety and security and we as adults are failing them big time.
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:00   #197
BHPian

And we thought it was only kids! These people don't have basic common sense! If the driver slams hard on the brakes, what will happen to these guys? It is very unsafe!

These people need to be stopped on the road and be given a few tight slaps then and there! This is basically endangering their own lives!

Come on people! Use some of your brains!!
Attached Images

Old 17th October 2023, 18:08   #198
BHPian

Recently saw an ad of MMRDA, wherein it show cases peeping out of the sunroof with glory. How was this ad even allowed to air.

Last edited by Capri89 : 17th October 2023 at 18:15.
Capri89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:04   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Though I don't own a car with a sunroof, thanks to TBhp, I've understood the risks associated with popping one's head out of a sunroof. Again, I've never done that, but I'm sure i would have, given the chance and before reading this thread.

But I also think that for the vast, vast majority of people, this is not going to change. It's too enticing a prospect and probably the primary reason most people opt for the sunroof in the first place. Last year, I was in a car where the parents were more than happy to let their kid stick his head out. Because of this thread, I tried to get them to not allow it, but they were both ok with it "I'm going slow", "There is no traffic" "I'm holding him". So I didn't/couldn't push it.

Gruesome as it sounds, until there are some accidents involving people in India getting flung out, and those get news traction, we're not going to see any real change in behavior. (googled and found only one incident involving a sunroof, that too involving a kite thread, not anyone getting thrown out).
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:35   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Recently saw an ad of MMRDA, wherein it show cases peeping out of the sunroof with glory. How was this ad even allowed to air.

https://Youtu.be/IPlnTlHm1Uc?si=0RAXxbQhvG1q5vFw
Quoting myself.

Have lodged a formal complaint with The Advertising Standards Council of India. Link for that below.

https://www.ascionline.in/complaint-faq/

Others can raise similar concerns too so that there is more heft to the issue.
Capri89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 15:05   #201
BHPian

I was travelling to Yelagiri Hills today and the amount of kids sticking out their heads outside of the sunroofs was just too much!!

There was even an instance where a guy in a Hyundai Alcazar was sticking out his heads to take pictures during the hairpin bends!!
nova.19_exe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 21:38   #202
BHPian

Re: The Official Joke thread

This one -29th October 2023 - Hassan highway
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-9b9f3fd2835f4c44adc6133ecf34642c.jpeg  

Old 30th October 2023, 14:06   #203
BHPian

This occurred during our return journey from Chennai to Shirdi, where such senseless occurrences happen regularly. It wasn't a particularly scenic route or under great weather conditions, just another hot and dry day. However, the availability of a sunroof seems to prompt people to engage in such reckless behavior.

Similarly, during a trip to Rameswaram last week, numerous children and even some adults were enjoying the view from the Pamban Bridge. I witnessed three kids in one vehicle collectively leaning out of the sunroof while the vehicle was in motion.

Despite being fellow road users, they refuse to heed our warnings. There's a growing sense of egotism among people, and they seem only responsive to consequences rather than interested in taking preventive measures.
Thyag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:21   #204
Senior - BHPian

Now is this a new trend? I sure hope not!

https://www.freepressjournal.in/indi...deo-goes-viral
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:29   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Now is this a new trend? I sure hope not!

https://www.freepressjournal.in/indi...deo-goes-viral
Looks like a variant without the sunroof and and he seem to have bribed his kids to lay on the roof as a compensation What next? People doing reels on the roofs of moving cars?
Old 4th March 2024, 06:28   #206

Lunatic Driver in India drives with kids laying on the roof

A man driving a Mahindra XUV 700 with a Telangana number plate is seen with his children apparently sleeping on the car's roof. The video captures a local resident confronting the man, expressing concern about the safety of the children. Despite the confrontation, the man dismisses the question and continues driving nonchalantly, claiming to be taking a right turn.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th March 2024 at 06:54. Reason: Please search the forum for existing discussions before creating a new thread. Thank you.
atmosphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 07:33   #207
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In general, the re-distribution of wealth across strata in India, was not (sadly) accompanied by a re-distribution of common-sense, responsibility and good behavioural standards.

We in India do definitely have a strong sense of entitlement and are definitely pretty insensitive and egoistic in most of our daily dealings.

This is very evident across various spheres of life in the way disrespect the law, the way we litter, how we treat other folks, particularly those whom we perceive as ‘less important’ than ourselves.

Everything has to begin from the grass roots. It will take another generation to happen if we make a beginning now.

As someone said, it may take a few accidents involving some of these folks-who-stick-their-heads-out-of-sun-roofs and only then will people come to their senses. But this is a negative view.

Taking the positive route, there is definitely a better way! All this can be prevented through strong coverage in media, by car makers in their ad Campaigns and in Cinema Halls and Multiplexes before the movie starts. And perhaps we will see a change.

Remember how earlier - 20 years ago or so, the way mobile phones used to ring in the Cinema Halls during films? That has stopped now, because people have been sensitised and educated on mobile etiquette by relentless visual campaigns before every film.

We can easily do the same for this sun-roof thing.
I do hope that we do.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 08:10   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In general, the re-distribution of wealth across strata in India, was not (sadly) accompanied by a re-distribution of common-sense, responsibility and good behavioural standards.
We in India do definitely have a strong sense of entitlement and are definitely pretty insensitive and egoistic in most of our daily dealings.
This is very evident across various spheres of life in the way disrespect the law, the way we litter, how we treat other folks, particularly those whom we perceive as ‘less important’ than ourselves.

Taking the positive route, there is definitely a better way! All this can be prevented through strong coverage in media, by car makers in their ad Campaigns and in Cinema Halls and Multiplexes before the movie starts. And perhaps we will see a change.

Remember how earlier - 20 years ago or so, the way mobile phones used to ring in the Cinema Halls during films? That has stopped now, because people have been sensitised and educated on mobile etiquette by relentless visual campaigns before every film.
All very good points. I am wondering why do we need sunroofs in India at all? We already have too much of sun in most parts of the country all year around and in many parts we have torrential rain. We need sun roofs as much as we need seat warmers. This is our OEMs selling it as a must have luxury feature and many customers accepting that.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 08:47   #209
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
All very good points. I am wondering why do we need sunroofs in India at all? We already have too much of sun in most parts of the country all year around and in many parts we have torrential rain. We need sun roofs as much as we need seat warmers. This is our OEMs selling it as a must have luxury feature and many customers accepting that.
On the contrary it is a fun feature to have in a car on a nice spring morning, driving in the relatively unpolluted hill roads.
(Problem is on weekends even all the Hill Roads are choked!)
Old 4th March 2024, 14:03   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am wondering why do we need sunroofs in India at all? We already have too much of sun in most parts of the country ...
I agree and I have (almost) no wish for one at all, especially in my "three seasons: hot, hotter, hottest" city! My only hesitation on that would be that they are an excellent way to clear the hot air out of the car when it has been parked in the sun.

For those who want fresh-air ventilation (rather than AC), they give it with less draught and noise than open windows. For the big cities, even if cooler, I would still want to keep the dust out.

And... For those who want to reduce the size of their family, they could be a boon
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks