Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 12:43   #16
BHPian

re: No Parking. No Problem. Just put your bonnet up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Quite sinister actually!

The bonnet opening mechanism isn't given INSIDE the car for fun sake! Anyone noticing this can easily punish him immediately! Simply cut 1 random wire inside and he'll actually have to call the mechanic! Then he'll see who gets the last laugh.

A BMW X5 broke down & got locked in the middle of MG Road for 4 hours and someone filed a PIL in Karnataka high Court against such cars!
Good Point
The next time I see some smart Alec misusing/inconveniencing public place like this, I will definitely walk up to the vehicle and pull out/damage a few wires.

If the owner comes along I can still say that it was open and was damaged

P.S. Please try it at your own risk. I will be judicious!
racer_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 12:26   #17

Re: No Parking. No Problem. Just put your bonnet up!

As funny as it is people will just do anything for their convenience, even if it in-conveniences hundreds others. Just makes your blood boil. As mentioned someday he might find something missing from the engine bay. I would like to see how he reacts then!
Parry1410 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 13:12   #18
BHPian

Why do people think they can inconvenience hundreds of motorist by hours because they want to save 5mins by not parking at a designated spot? I face this each day commuting to work. I see people park right infront of shops, tea stalls and block half the road when just a little yards ahead there is a perfectly good parking spot.

Once a moron watched the whole road get blocked by his car and still finished his smoke and tea before moving his car! That just made my blood boil on that day.

On a bad day anyone is capable of teaching this Indigo guy a lesson. One can just pull the engine oil stick and empty two sachets of sugar in it.

Last edited by mac187 : 26th November 2013 at 13:13.
mac187 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And the car in front will again be issued a no parking challan? That's amazing. But didn't bangalore police started using hand held black berry devices to check the car details and record? I feel sad for the car in front in case he got fined twice for the same offence!
A lot of traffic cops in Bangalore do not know how to navigate / use the blackberry app . They prefer using the old paper challans .
Old 26th November 2013, 14:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

LOL, this thread is really enlightening.
I faced something quite similar a few months back.

There is a road, and a small two wheeler parking. Next to the parking is a shop which sells Chaat items. So you can imagine how busy it would be. The 4 wheeler parking is quite further ahead.

I saw a lady coolly parked her car right at the entrance of the shop/2 wheeler parking with hazard lights flashing. When I asked her to move and park in the 4 wheeler parking - she claimed that the "parking lights" are switched on ... so what is the issue!

*LOL* Parking lights! The idiots these days think the flashing hazard light is actually parking light!
Old 26th November 2013, 14:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, I really don't see anything "brilliant" or "smart" about this at all. Inconveniencing others and taking a short cut - this is just one of the problems on our roads. Funny how some of you seem to like it so much
naveenroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

On the Delhi Airport approach road, the cops do not allow you to park your vehicle on the roadside and wait for a flight etc.

A friend tried pulling off this bonnet open trick. Cop comes, closes the bonnet, fires the engine, car starts, gives my friend a piece of his mind, challans him and leaves...
Eddy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Sorry guys, I really don't see anything "brilliant" or "smart" about this at all. Inconveniencing others and taking a short cut - this is just one of the problems on our roads. Funny how some of you seem to like it so much
Oh come on you have to see the funny side of this. In fact I am having a bigger laugh at those who do NOT get away with these stunts, such as Eddy's friend above .

Cops are not fools: occasionally a car does break down in an awkward location but they certainly have the sense to distinguish those cases from those smart alecs who try it just for some free parking!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Hahahahaha this made my day Smart guy this is. I would have winked at him and given him a thumbsup if I saw him walk out of the mall. I don't approve but this really is neat
I waited hoping that this guy would return so that I can do the same but the person whom I was waiting for arrived and we go into a conversation. Even I felt like giving him a big thumbs up for his innovative idea. Although donot advocate this but might work in case of emergency.
Old 26th November 2013, 15:16   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Funny how some of you seem to like it so much.
If it were only some, our traffic situation wouldn't be so bad. The sad reality is that a majority of us will think this sort of thing is 'smart' rather than pathetic.

When will we realize that following rules/regulations makes sense for the overall good for the majority of people, rather than because of compulsion or because one is not 'smart' enough to find a way around the rule?!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
No offense taken. FYI, no one was really inconvenienced by the way he parked the car. Its just that since its the front side of the mall, they (cops) have a strict no-parking rule in place (may be due to security reasons or may be to increase the visibility of the mall)

Whatever it was, it indeed tickled the funny bone of quite a few people on my Facebook wall and TeamBHP. Cheers!
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:03   #27
P76
BHPian

May I add some more parking gimmicks used here in Chennai ;
1. Cars (particularly Scorpios, Safaris & Fortuners) sporting a ruling party flag hoisted on a 1 inch thick flag pole mounted 1 feet above the bonnet level(not to go unnoticed by anyone), and additionally having the photo of the CM inside the windshield for others (Police included) to see.

2. Latest violators are cars having a plastic placard inside the windscreen reading "POLICE" in bold red colour. These cars are not the government provided Police vehicles but the private cars owned by the kith and kin of Police officers who use their authority to evade a Rs.5/- parking fee, and park their car right in front of the 'No Parking' board. This is a common sight in shopping areas like T.Nagar, and Purasawalkam High road. No traffic policeman would dare to touch that vehicle.

3. Vehicles sporting "Press" stickers, advocate stickers, and ones with a yellow ganesha sticker in the number plate(resembling a 'G' letter)

4. All types of government vehicles. It is understood that Government Vehicles are exempted from paying Parking fees, but that does not mean that they could park their cars in No Parking zones.

The first two category of vehicles are also good at avoiding paying up at Toll plazas. I have seen a number of instances where they just shout at/threaten the hapless toll-plaza employees who demand money from them.

Last edited by P76 : 26th November 2013 at 18:04.
Old 26th November 2013, 18:22   #28
BHPian

A guy I know drives a Swift. A few days back he was returning home from downtown Mumbai to Mira Road, a distance that usually takes two hours in peak traffic. On the way he was desperately in need to relieve himself. Traffic was crawling at snails pace on Western Express Highway and he was on the extreme right lane almost kissing the dividers.
At some point he could no longer hold himself back. Noticing a Sulabh Shauchalay on the left pavement,he stopped right there. Pullled the bonnet lever, started his hazard lights, shut the doors, locked the car and opened the bonnet and latched the bonnet open. All this while cars behind him kept honking like crazy ! Once the parking lights were on and blinking, everyone quietly shifted to the next lane, and passed him. This guy crossed the road, did the needful to relieve himself and came back to his car. Bonnet shut, he got in and drove away !!!!!
andy69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 19:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is GANGSTER innovation. I mean 'CLAPS' to this guy for his thinking. Of course do not advocate this kind of action, but the innovative thinking is worth a laugh and commendation.
Old 26th November 2013, 19:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

This used to happen a lot on the Delhi airport road flyover. Since it's a strictly no parking zone and no other parking area or waiting area nearby, drivers would wait here and as soon as the person would land they would call driver and he is at the pick up point in 5 mins.

Usual modus operandi was seen in the night with cars having their bonnet up. One could see 10-15 cars with their bonnet open at the flyover descent with drivers sitting inside or standing outside next to cars and idling around.

The steps as taken by cop as mentioned by a Eddy is a smart move to taken action against such practice, if more people resort to such tricks cops will figure out steps to take action against them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks