Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 19:37   #331
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A city is a safe not because the taxi drivers are well behaved, a city is safe due to co-ordination between the government and law enforcing agencies and to an extent citizens. The onus is not only on the private player.
Surprised by your comments which are not the official Delhi Police as well as Uber's stand. If you are right, Uber will file a suit against ban and will win it easily. If they don't, please stand corrected atleast then.

The Onus is very much on the operator who runs the agency. If they can't follow the rules of the city, they have to be banned. No other choice exists. Please understand.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:45   #332
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
If they can't follow the rules of the city, they have to be banned. No other choice exists.
Where was Delhi Police before this incident? They should have been banned the next day when they started their operations in Delhi, right?

Last edited by sinharishi : 8th December 2014 at 19:47.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:46   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I never trust these services no matter what people tell me. Even after reading some good reviews on Team-Bhp I never even thought to hire these so called premium services, the reason was not safety. I prefer regular taxis, this way the money goes straight to the needed poor man and not these foreign brands who never care about the safety and are only there to earn their piece of currency.

Mods: I hope I am not offending or posting something irrelevant to this topic (the part in bold).
http://www.medianama.com/2014/11/223...-capital-mind/

Money is still going to the poor man.These new services are supposed to make things transparent and keep shady people out of the business.I hope the policy makers will put in place a framework with proper roles and responsibilities defined. If such a case of poor service occurs , itnhas to be swiftly dealt with and punitive action taken immediately.

In the IPC , there is more severe punishment against people in authority who abuse their power . Death in custody, abuse of mental patients, abuse by doctors etc. The law should be modified to put certain services in that category . Drivers picking up late night customers, school children , public transport etc should be penalized heavily for negligence/misconduct.

People should feel safe in a Taxi.

Last edited by drsingh : 8th December 2014 at 19:48.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:46   #334
BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

I find the new government taking actions that are way too strong, and at times come out naïve and stupid. Take the banning of 15 years or older vehicles for example.

The government needs to realise that it needs to make decisions that are wiser, more sensible and not impetuos and mindless. Getting to the root cause is important, rather than just cutting off a stem.

While I certainly agree that Uber is largely at fault here, I don't believe that banning it is the way to go. Banning will only lead to externalities such as loss of jobs and inconvenience to previous and frequent Uber users.

The government was at fault too (not saying it wasn't Uber's fault), as the laws and restrictions regarding such companies are full of loopholes and are extremely lax in nature. Additionally, Uber is not the only company out there which provides services like these. I am certain that other radio cab companies too, in their wild rush for expansion have given parameters like safety checks of drivers low importance.

Government should enforce new laws that mandate proper checks of drivers, not only for radio cabs, but also other forms of public transports like Autos, busses, taxis etc.

Uber is right when it says that the government should strengthen its commercial licensing process wherein past records of drivers are properly checked and only after proper evaluation is a license given.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 8th December 2014 at 19:48.
prakhar1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 19:57   #335
BHPian

Banning Uber in Delhi is not the only solution. The government should enforce norms for such tourist taxis and the police should carry out regular checks of such taxis. Uber, as a company should do a background check of the vehicle and it's driver, and also reinforce it's car tracking system. Both, the company Uber and the government are at fault. Uber just cannot wash it's hands off from the incident even though their policy says that they aren't liable for any incident.
Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uber.jpg
Old 8th December 2014, 19:57   #336
BHPian

Hi All,

Seriously Both Uber and Driver are equal partners in crime.

What was Uber (Classified as among better Cab Companies), no back-ground check is done by the company

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45415846.cms

Now Wonder: 2 Just Hrrs to be Uber Driver.
http://m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech-...w/45412753.cms

and top of it, all the data is stored in US. Very lengthy legal process for police to get data to prove out in Court for the crime.

Bottomline: Uber is disgusting.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:58   #337
BHPian

IMO banning is an easy way out. Uber should be prosecuted for not following the law (MV Act has provisions for organized cabs). Most BPOs and IT companies insist (and get) background check for the drivers in ALL their cabs - this started after the incident in Bangalore a few years back and the law held the IT company accountable. AFAIK, it covers criminal antecedent checks and yes, it covers booked/ under prosecution cases as well, not just convictions.

But there is a catch. yes, as always, it is C-O-S-T.

I think Uber probably tried the cheap way out to expanding its fleet. And now it must be held accountable, and not allowed to wriggle away free by a ban.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:00   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Uber knew the particular cab had accepted the request by the registered user. Uber knew the cab had started the journey with the traveler. Uber knew the journey was not finished and the driver went offline.

Responsible corporate with a fail safe process would try to contact the driver or the traveler and if not possible contact the law enforcement agency with GPS track till offline spot.
No it act as an intermediary between the driver and the passenger. They do not have a call center looking at the movement of cabs because that is not what they do. It is for the same reason that they are able to give you cheaper rates, good clean cabs and more profit to the driver than the traditional radio cab companies.

That said no one here is absolving Uber towards any responsibility to their customers but banning their services is not going to help at all and that is what the argument is all about.

Quote:
What Uber did in this case? If they have followed any of the above, the thing should have been completely different. So why something like Uber should be there? What is the difference between them and the local rowdy who set up a travel agency shop on the corner and provide you some cab number with keeping his commission?
And how Meru and other radio taxi operators are different then? The driver of a Meru too can switch off his gps if he wanted to. Lets ban them all.

Quote:
Uber should be made accountable to be part of this crime. They surely didn't follow their corporate responsibility here.
For their lapses sure but lets not make them a scapegoat for our inept government and useless police. Remember if they had done their jobs, the driver would not have been driving in first place.

Quote:
Surprised by your comments which are not the official Delhi Police as well as Uber's stand. If you are right, Uber will file a suit against ban and will win it easily. If they don't, please stand corrected atleast then.
It is indeed Uber's stand and that is how the character certificate came into the public domain.

Quote:
The Onus is very much on the operator who runs the agency. If they can't follow the rules of the city, they have to be banned. No other choice exists. Please understand.
The onus was to get the driver verified by the police and the police had given the driver a clean character certificate. The private operator will do it collaboration with the state machinery and the law enforcement which failed to do their duty in this case. If they had done their jobs properly, the driver would not have been driving in first place.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th December 2014 at 20:33.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:30   #339
BHPian

Crime in tinted vehicle, ban sun film usage.
Crime in rented car,ban rental service/platform.
Problem solved.
Thilak29 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:34   #340
Senior - BHPian

With no disrespect to the victims, the words "Delhi". "rape" and "ban" seem to be tied together very closely. Last time, they banned the sun films. This time, they banned the service provider.

However, having seen the tall claims from Uber and the subsequent fineprint that says the exact opposite of what they claimed, I'm happy that Uber didn't get away from this incident due to the fine print. This would be a precedent that other operators would also be careful about and would do better diligence regarding their drivers and operations instead of inserting a fine print. I'm thinking of like a punitive damages awarded in US courts - to ensure other players would also take these things more seriously.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:41   #341
BHPian

At the risk of being the odd one out I have a few things to say
1. Driver getting verified by the police: Well unless one has priors, what is our police force going to say? I have a gut feeling that this man is a rapist? Or chai paani k paise de do to pass kar denge.
2. Uber getting banned: If they broke the laws, it took a rape to freaking figure that out? They should not have been allowed to start operations in the first place. Now when the heat is on our baabus, then well lets play point a finger

The sad part is that instead of deciding the fate of the sick @#$%$ who committed the crime, Uber is what gets all the attention.

The police suspended his license and his cab permit. With all due respect, that guy should not be allowed to step foot in public again so those 2 are out of the picture anyways. If it were my world, the victim would get to decide what is to be done with him.
Uber did screw up. They paid a hefty price. Can someone go hang the rapist now?
Old 8th December 2014, 20:48   #342
i10
BHPian

The police claims that they character certificate is forged, and they are looking for the person behind it. Going by how things work in India, they may not be entirely wrong.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:58   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
The sad part is that instead of deciding the fate of the sick @#$%$ who committed the crime, Uber is what gets all the attention.
He would get the required attention in the only place that really matters - in the court. Current laws are very harsh on rapists and he is not going to get away with it for sure.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:09   #344
Team-BHP Support

Idiotic. But expected. First sun films and now banning Uber? I would love to see the % in decline in rape cases after the sunfilm ban, and now after banning Uber.

If only the Police put in as much effort on a regular basis as they do to look for sunfilms, I'm sure rapes would come down a significant amount.

What about the other drivers who will now find it harder to make their livelihood? Uber was great for each and every driver that I've spoken to, with on time payments, etc.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 8th December 2014 at 21:27.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:20   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
He would get the required attention in the only place that really matters - in the court. Current laws are very harsh on rapists and he is not going to get away with it for sure.
I do agree with you. But the entire system is so slow. Call me crazy but I have a feeling if rapists were punished in a couple of days and the punishments were harsh and publicly announced by the media in bold letters, some of the future incidents could be deterred.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks