Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2014, 13:55   #181
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by four.bytes View Post
They don't have any contact information on their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
From what I've seen, they take a long time to respond, but they do respond.

Here's where to contact them via Email : https://support.uber.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
I have been using Uber for past few months. It was all good till about last month when I had my experience of - no human no phone contact - with Uber.

I booked a cab for my sister. The cab came promptly. The driver, after he reached, enquired about the destination. Then started to act funny. He made statements like - are you sure vehicles can go into the lane etc. My sister had to go Delhi University. I sensed the driver didn't want to go. So I let the cab go. I didn't want to take chance with my sister having to travel alone with a disgruntled cabby.

The whole episode took about 2 minutes.

I booked again. The cab came promptly. The driver didn't create any fuss.

So, I had 2 interaction with Uber that day.

For the first one - Uber charged me INR 112 on the credit card/receipt.

For the second one - Uber charged me INR 522 on the credit card/receipt.

For the first one, I wrote to Uber why the trip didn't work. I am yet to hear from Uber.

For the second - I was charged twice on the card. I wrote to Uber. Yet to hear.

Yesterday while going through the credit card statement, I realised the charges were showing + 1 INR i.e, INR 112 was coming as INR 113. Same for INR 522 - it was INR 523.

I have written to the bank.

This made me think:
  • there is no number one can call and seek clarification
  • there is no office address given anywhere
  • Uber has an independent tie up with the cab driver i.e., it does not have any stake in the cab or the driver
  • what happens if there is an accident involving a uber cab - they will say its not their cab. Only recourse is against the cab driver. Who may not even own the cab.
  • Uber is like a agent. That is all. One will not have any recourse of any kind against Uber.
  • payment to card is charged to a Netherland company

I do continue to use Uber cab - it is simple to use and one can book for family without bothering like how payment is to be made. At least till 30 NOV 2014. From what I have read - RBI has extended the deadline till 30 NOV 2014 for the payment issue.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/1x...ent-norms.html

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 15th November 2014 at 13:56. Reason: typo
Traveller Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 15:26   #182
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post

For the second one - Uber charged me INR 522 on the credit card/receipt.

At least till 30 NOV 2014. From what I have read - RBI has extended the deadline till 30 NOV 2014 for the payment issue.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/1x...ent-norms.html
The card issue in which the price would change by a couple of rupees was due to forex rates at that point of time.

Now that paytm is in the picture this will not be a problem. By the way Uber has already transitioned to paytm online wallet. Used 3 times with paytm already. No issues as yet.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 16:47   #183
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue with a driver at Bangalore airport. So promptly cancelled the trip. A cancellation charge was debited from my CC. So wrote to Uber and to my pleasant surprise they reversed the amount in 2 hours flat.
From my experience,once you ride Uber, you are never going to hire an auto again, atleast in Bangalore.

Last edited by poloman : 15th November 2014 at 16:52.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:59   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
[/url]
I had this problem too when a cabbie refused to go from Jayanagar to Sarjapur Road in Bangalore, because he didn't have fuel and neither had money to pay for fuel!!

I took a cab from the airport back home yesterday and the cabbie asked me to pay the Rs. 115 toll since he didn't have cash. They put the toll in the bill anyway. Wrote to them this morning. Nothing yet on that.

I tried Uber in Paris in the last couple of weeks. Just for your information, in Paris, you (or ask your hotel or reception in office to) call a cab the cabbie starts the meter from the point he starts to head towards you. So while the base fare actually starts at 2.6o Euro, you could get a cab with 15 Euro already on it!!

With Uber, they start the meter only when the cab reaches you so you start with the base fare so it turns out to be much cheaper than the normal cabs.

The other big advantage when you're traveling is that you don't get cheated with longer routes. I used it in Mumbai and the driver didn't know the way and ended up taking a much longer route which ended up with a bill of 456 instead of a bill of 315-330 from the days before. Wrote that in the reveiw, not even a complaint, and they promptly returned the excess amount saying that they could see it wasn't an optimal route used!

There are small niggling issues but there's way more pros than cons.
rjun04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 11:01   #185
BHPian

TAXI FOR SURE

Date : 13th November 2014
Place : Hyderabad
To : Toli Chowki

1) Time : 2:50pm
Booked a cab at Taxi For Sure using the app. Got the driver name, cab no. and expected pick up time of 3:15pm at 2:53pm by SMS.

2) Time : 3:00pm
Got another SMS but with a different driver name, different cab no. and no mention of pick up time.

3) Time : 3:05pm
Got yet another SMS with still another driver name and cab no. and no pick up time.

4) Time : 3:10pm
Got a call from the driver mentioned at Sl. No. 3 above that he is too far away and needs minimum 30 minutes to reach (though from the place he mentioned he is parked at, he was only 2.4km and 10 minutes driving time away). So told him to cancel the booking. Tried cancelling the booking and the app responded that network error is there (though it worked fine for all other aspects). Called up Call Centre and cancelled.

5) Time : 3:40pm
Got an SMS that cab is reaching the pick up point.

Taxi "Certainly NOT" For Sure!!!

Not wanting to remain stranded, fired up the Uber app.

6) Time : 3:15pm
Booked an Uber-X on Uber app. Estimated pick up given was 3:25pm. The cab arrived promptly on time.

Started at 3:25pm. Recahed destination at 3:55pm. Travelled for 9.42km. Credit Card got charged for 192/-. Vehicle was a Maruti Dzire in excellent condition. Driver drove very sedately and smartly with minimal braking. A smooth journey in an Uber "Taxi For Sure".

Uber ROCKS!!!
hyd_traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 15:33   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Not wanting to remain stranded, fired up the Uber app.

6) Time : 3:15pm
Booked an Uber-X on Uber app. Estimated pick up given was 3:25pm. The cab arrived promptly on time.

Started at 3:25pm. Recahed destination at 3:55pm. Travelled for 9.42km. Credit Card got charged for 192/-. Vehicle was a Maruti Dzire in excellent condition. Driver drove very sedately and smartly with minimal braking. A smooth journey in an Uber "Taxi For Sure".

Uber ROCKS!!!
Thanks for the review hyd_traveller. And what a revalation to me. I never knew UBER operates in Hyderabad. Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:02   #187
BHPian

As predicted, uber is switching now to PayTM - a prepaid wallet. It comes with a free 500 rupees drive in Uber. So make use of it folks
Old 19th November 2014, 17:30   #188
BHPian

I wrote to Uber yesterday asking them whether I need to switch to a Paytm account. I have been using Uber for quite a while now and had registered with my credit card.

They responded by saying that it is not mandatory to switch to a Paytm account and I can continue paying with my credit card as before.

I dunno what's up with that ? Have they found a loophole here in which you choose to have an extra security step ?
Old 19th November 2014, 18:59   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I wrote to Uber yesterday asking them whether I need to switch to a Paytm account. I have been using Uber for quite a while now and had registered with my credit card.

They responded by saying that it is not mandatory to switch to a Paytm account and I can continue paying with my credit card as before.

I dunno what's up with that ? Have they found a loophole here in which you choose to have an extra security step ?
International cards are exempt as I understand it. If you hold an international card, you probably don't have to worry. But what about India issued cards that work internationally? Do they bypass this step? If yes, most cards will have no problems!
Old 20th November 2014, 10:55   #190
Team-BHP Support

Uber is no longer a premium cab service!

Bangalore now gets a new Uber service called "Uber GO". Uber go has smaller cars like Ritz, Micra.

What's the fare like?

Base fare of Rs.40
Rs.1/min + Rs.11/km

That's Rs.4/km lesser than Uber X. There is a flat discount of 35% for the Uber Go service currently.

Bye bye auto rickshaws and bye bye personal driver and no longer need to buy a second car.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 11:21   #191
Team-BHP Support

Premium taxi service Uber has introduced UberGo, it's most affordable service in the country. The new service features a range of low-cost chauffeur-driven hatchbacks such as the Maruti Suzuki WagonR, Maruti Ritz, Toyota Etios Liva and the Tata Indica. With the addition of UberGo, there are now three price slabs - UberGo (hatchbacks), UberX (entry level sedans) and UberBlack (usually Innovas).

Uber claims that UberGo is best suited for short journeys such as bank runs, short trips between meetings, trips to the mall and the movies.

The costing for UberGo in Mumbai is given below:
  • Base fare: Rs. 40
  • Per kilometre: Rs. 12
  • Per minute: Re. 1
  • Minimum fare: Rs. 80

At present, Uber is offering a discount of 25% on its services. At the reduced rate, the base fare for UberGo is Rs. 30, per kilometre rate is Rs. 9 and per minute rate is 75 paise. The minimum fare has been pegged at Rs. 60.

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uber.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 20th November 2014 at 12:14.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 11:41   #192
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I registered a while ago on Uber with my American Express corporate card but never actually used it except once. I logged into the app yesterday just like that and it shows my credit balance as 1200 Rs. Does it mean that for a bill upto 1200 rs, I would not have to pay anything through my credit card?
Old 20th November 2014, 12:41   #193
Senior - BHPian

Surge pricing is a big issue with Uber in my area. I stay in Brookfields and very often I am seeing surge pricing as high as 2x normal rates. Not sure how this is different from an auto guy overcharging you when the demand is more. Due to this UberX frequently appear even costlier than UberBLACK.

I see UberBLACK availability normal in this area only on weekdays mostly catering to ITPL.

Last edited by poloman : 20th November 2014 at 12:46.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:49   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys, I registered a while ago on Uber with my American Express corporate card but never actually used it except once. I logged into the app yesterday just like that and it shows my credit balance as 1200 Rs. Does it mean that for a bill upto 1200 rs, I would not have to pay anything through my credit card?
You are right you can use up Rs. 1200 in free rides and then your credit card will be charged.
athanedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 13:49   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Surge pricing is a big issue with Uber in my area. I stay in Brookfields and very often I am seeing surge pricing as high as 2x normal rates. Not sure how this is different from an auto guy overcharging you when the demand is more. Due to this UberX frequently appear even costlier than UberBLACK.

I see UberBLACK availability normal in this area only on weekdays mostly catering to ITPL.
Same here. Off late surge pricing is there for a long time. One time last week when it was raining the surge pricing was there from morning till 10pm night. Never once did it show normal pricing.

But you can get Uber black most of time without surge and it's not too bad.

I guess surge pricing is the only way they make money. Rest of the time with such rates I'm not sure how they work at profit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks