Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 15:24   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

So, Uber is banned in Delhi. And their CEO has the cheek to blame the incomplete Govt records for lack of proper background verification. Now that the driver is caught, hope he is thrown in prison and the keys thrown into an ocean, especially since he is accused of rape for the second time and has no remorse for his heinous act.

Last edited by hrman : 8th December 2014 at 15:29.
Old 8th December 2014, 15:43   #287
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Guys who support Uber please understand that we can live without the Uber. One co. goes and another will come, but wrongdoers should not go unpunished. We can go on talking about whose mistake it is and put % for all. But if there is a way to punish all 100%, go ahead do it. Or atleast punish those who are immediately punishable.

In a country where we are mute spectators to see so much violence against women, they atleast deserve a decent cab service, when we failed to ensure a safe public transport system. If banning Uber will teach similar companies a lesson or two, let us do it. Uber is big enough to afford to loose Delhi business and we are better off without Uber. Therefore, go ahead.
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 15:50   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
As usual lame knee-jerk reaction - Uber Banned.

Uber should have been suspended and legal action initiated against it.
It should have been made to suffer till the case comes to a closure.

With this ban, Uber would be the most happiest entity now.
Wham bam and go scott free.

After banning also, legal actions can be initiated. Legal actions take time. Banning is immediate to hurt the wrongdoer. You make mistakes, pay for it...period.
Old 8th December 2014, 15:54   #289
BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

It's a good move in my opinion. This will ensure that the service providers do a thorough background check before hiring people (as they do in many companies today). Our nation suffered from lack of harsh punishments which has driven up crime rate and actions like these will help curb the problem.

It's quite an unfortunate incident. :(
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:09   #290
Senior - BHPian

This move is baseless and brainless. Banning them doesn't improve the process. The government needs to institute a process for regular and stringent background checks for public transport personnel. The job of the police to maintain and supply such information should not be pushed onto the market players like uber or any other cab company.

Heck it should be available for a fee even for people wanting to hire drivers. Had that process worked, this fellow would not have been employed by Uber in the first place. They're attacking the wrong person. Sad.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:13   #291
Team-BHP Support

I find the ban on Uber, pointless and stupid.

http://www.dnaindia.com/delhi/report...t-year-1944984

Quote:
more than 96% of accused in rape cases are acquaintances or relatives of the victim.
And the NCW data shows 4 rapes in Delhi everyday.
Let that sink in for a moment and then tell me how banning Uber has made Delhi safer for women.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:15   #292
BHPian

As a frequent user of Uber in and outside India, I find this ban quite unfair. This entire case is focused only on Uber and not on the rapist that got a character certificate from Delhi Police. I was reading an article on NDTV where they were blatantly comparing Meru and Uber, and were almost trying to infer that the rape wouldn't have happened if the girl had boarded a Meru instead of Uber. Rape can happen anywhere and be done by anyone. President's bodyguards raped a girl not too far from Rashtrapati Bhawan. I am sure those men would have gone through the most stringent of background checks but it didn't deter them from raping a teenager.

Instead of identifying how the rapist went scot-free on the first occasion, Delhi police is making Uber a scapegoat. It's a service that's extremely convenient for consumers and that's the reason many have moved from conventional radio-taxis to Uber. Till the point Uber didn't enter the market, conventional radio-taxi operators were very happily charging us Rs 23/KM (+night charge after 11 PM) for their rickety Indigos and Esteems. Wish the government would have evaluated this better and taken a rational decision instead of getting influenced by sentiments (perhaps biased) expressed in media.
Biraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:45   #293
BHPian

TOI News
"According to the department, the taxi permit was granted on May 28, 2014, after due verification of character and antecedents of the permit holder."

The question now is who checked the antecedents.
While Uber has been banned my point is that has the person who signed on the verification should be named and suspended.Why has the responsibility not been been fixed for this very serious lapse.
Unless we take action against erring individuals, such incidents will keep on repeating.
A thorough overhaul needed to weed out this menace.
Old 8th December 2014, 16:47   #294
BHPian

Not trying to counter argue, respect the point you both bring up, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
T The government needs to institute a process for regular and stringent background checks for public transport personnel. The job of the police to maintain and supply such information should not be pushed onto the market players like uber or any other cab company.

Heck it should be available for a fee even for people wanting to hire drivers. Had that process worked, this fellow would not have been employed by Uber in the first place. They're attacking the wrong person. Sad.
Don't we have such organizations today which do background checks? Why couldn't uber not have used them in the first place? Don't we expect companies to trust with our personal information whenever it is provided to them? Similarly can't we expect the operator to provide a safe travel when we hire them?

Pushing everything to be done by the govt doesn't work well in our country. Besides this is a private operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I find the ban on Uber, pointless and stupid.

http://www.dnaindia.com/delhi/report...t-year-1944984

And the NCW data shows 4 rapes in Delhi everyday.
Let that sink in for a moment and then tell me how banning Uber has made Delhi safer for women.
This just doesn't make it safe. There is no silver bullet using which the problem is sorted out and we have to start somewhere to try and make the country a safer place for everyone.
Old 8th December 2014, 16:58   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Don't we have such organizations today which do background checks? Why couldn't uber not have used them in the first place? Don't we expect companies to trust with our personal information whenever it is provided to them? Similarly can't we expect the operator to provide a safe travel when we hire them?

Pushing everything to be done by the govt doesn't work well in our country. Besides this is a private operator.

This just doesn't make it safe. There is no silver bullet using which the problem is sorted out and we have to start somewhere to try and make the country a safer place for everyone.
Couple of points.
The accused driver in this case was acquitted in an earlier charge.
Our courts hold you innocent until proven guilty.

So I don't think any back ground verification would have helped in this particular case.

I am not arguing if he did it or not. I am merely stating the facts.

I don't use Uber. I have very rarely used other radio cabs.
But in this particular case I find it difficult to totally put the blame on Uber and ban them.
What about all the other drivers associated with Uber. Are they somehow guilty and hence have to suffer.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:58   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
As a frequent user of Uber in and outside India, I find this ban quite unfair. This entire case is focused only on Uber and not on the rapist that got a character certificate from Delhi Police. >>>President's bodyguards raped a girl not too far from Rashtrapati Bhawan. I am sure those men would have gone through the most stringent of background checks but it didn't deter them from raping a teenager.

>>>>>Wish the government would have evaluated this better and taken a rational decision instead of getting influenced by sentiments (perhaps biased) expressed in media.
Dear Biraj,
You don't like guilty getting punsihed? Had they followed the rules (engaging a driver with commercial driving licence/background check/Active GPS fitted in the car) and still this incident took place, there is no reason the ban them. But they failed to do so.

They did exactly opposite to what they advertise as a safe mode of transport. See this, they have the cheek to put it in the T&C that they are not responsible for the safety of the cars booked through them.

So, if you can't take responsibility, you can't do business here. Go and do business at where you don't have to follow these rules and don't have to take responsibilities. Like your parent country where police will shoot and kill unarmed civilians for petty thefts but allow such companies to freely operate.
srameshdelhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:59   #297
Senior - BHPian

No action on the transport department which can issue driving licenses at will, no action on the Delhi police which issues a clean character certificate to a repeat offender, ban Uber because that solves everything. I am glad I will be out this mess called India soon.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 17:09   #298
BHPian

Rather than banning UBER the more apt decision would have been to ensure that all Yellow Board drivers comply to police verification system once a year and get their licenses renewed (something like fitness certificate).
And without this certificate no Petrol Bunks to dispense fuel for that particular vehicle.
Old 8th December 2014, 17:10   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
So, if you can't take responsibility, you can't do business here. Go and do business at where you don't have to follow these rules and don't have to take responsibilities. Like your parent country where police will shoot and kill unarmed civilians for petty thefts but allow such companies to freely operate.
First, I understand that the 'You' here is Uber and not me. I won't get into discussing politics/lobbying/etc in USA and India however, I wouldn't want to put the entire blame on Uber. The taxi driver is the rapist and he did the same heinous crime while he was driving for another radio-taxi operator. Got caught, went scot-free, and even got a character certificate. There have been cases of auto-drivers attacking/molesting/even raping passengers. Do we ban auto or auto-unions?

Uber is just a platform for booking cabs and a very efficient one at that. Most of Uber's users understand that they are dealing with an efficient service that links customers to cab-drivers. It has its set of conveniences and shortfalls. The government should focus on improving overall safety for women and punish the real culprit (the driver). Banning Uber won't make Delhi roads safer for women but it will definitely help Meru,Mega,Easy and their clan with an opportunity to charge higher fee for substandard cabs.

Last edited by Biraj : 8th December 2014 at 17:12. Reason: typos
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 17:14   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
So, Uber is banned in Delhi. And their CEO has the cheek to blame the incomplete Govt records for lack of proper background verification. Now that the driver is caught, hope he is thrown in prison and the keys thrown into an ocean, especially since he is accused of rape for the second time and has no remorse for his heinous act.
Actually he is right. Uber has shown a character certificate issued by Delhi police that says he has NO PRIOR antecedents, no mention of the previous case.

So what is Uber supposed to do? Have its own detective agency & go into the entire past of every employee?
gsurya is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed