Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 10:51   #31
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

I finally got a chance to use Uber yesterday. I got 300 rupees of credit on signing up. The app is damn good. What a neat way of taking a cab. I took two trips. Both times the car reached me within 12-15 minutes of requesting for a car. I got an Accord and a Corolla Altis. The cars were well maintained. The drivers were extremely courteous. On the way home, the Accord driver insisted on taking the car inside my complex instead of dropping me at the gate.
Felt a bit weird saying thank you and stepping out without any exchange of money. As soon as the trip ends, you get a notification on the app for the fare and a receipt on email. The fare quote seems fairly accurate too. Overall, quite impressed
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 01:20   #32
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

After being pestered by my friend, I signed up for Uber (So that he will get some credit points or something). I used it yesterday only. I must say, it was a whole new experience in hiring a cab. But, like GTO pointed out, this is not very suitable if we want to work it out on a fixed timing. Anyways, I enjoyed the ride.
Few things about Uber
1) Uber has raised $1.2 billion in funding from a group of mutual fund managers and venture investors that values the company at $17 billion pre-money.

2) Uber’s new valuation is a record for technology startups in a direct investment round, said Anand Sanwal, CEO of research firm CB Insights. At $17 billion, Uber is worth more than public companies including car-rental service Hertz Global Holdings Inc. and retailer Best Buy Co. Startups such as cloud-sharing company Dropbox Inc. and short-term rental service Airbnb Inc. have recently raised money at $10 billion valuations.

3) Uber is creating 20,000 jobs per month, the company said in a blog post.

Courtesy - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...w-funding.html
mksureshhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 12:18   #33
BHPian

Just received an email from Uber that they have introduced a new service in Delhi called the Uber X. Its a cheaper version of their Uber Black services. Rates (as mentioned in the email) are as under:

Base Fare: Rs. 50
Per Km: Rs 15
Per Min: Rs 2
Minimum: Rs 150

No mention about what cars they would be using for this.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

EDIT: The email has no mention about other cities. Maybe members here can confirm.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 12:40   #34
BHPian

Hyderabad Uber X

Base Fare: Rs. 40
Per Km: Rs 13
Per Min: Rs 1
Minimum: Rs 100

No mention of vehicles.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 14:25   #35
BHPian

Checked the site online and got fare quotes. A trip from Dmart Hiranandani Powai to Mulund Check Naka is quoted at 360-400 but if you cross the toll naka in to Thane the quote gets changed to Rs.2500.. Not possible for me staying in Thane to use their services. A distance of 6Km to reach mumbai border would cost me Rs.2500

RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 14:38   #36
BHPian

Bangalore:

Vehicles on uberX are mid-range, commercially licensed sedans with seating for up to four people - think Toyota Etios and Maruti Swift DZire

Base Fare : ₹50
Per Km : ₹15
Per Min : ₹1
Min Fare : ₹125

MG Road to Airport estimate: 586 - 764
Vahanam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 14:43   #37
Team-BHP Support

http://www.bgr.in/news/uberx-launche...m-car-service/

Above link has all the details and it looks like they have Nissan Sunny's as well.

Not bad. This is similar rates to Meru Genie. The per minute is the only additional charge over Meru.

I think I might just start using Uber X now.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 15:24   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
! The lowest Uber we've ridden in is the Innova (although Mod Ajmat ended up in a cramped Fiesta once).[/url]
I must have got an Uber-X under pilot/ training!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 15:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
And ended up paying the usual Uber price. Talk about smart pilot/training from Uber

Uber-X per Km rate is cheaper than Meru in some cities. Interesting.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 15:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Uber X - a low cost taxi service by Uber

Uber, a premium cab service (headquartered in USA), has gained popularity in India primarily due to the luxurious experience it offers its' users. Today the cab service provider has introduced Uber X - a more affordable cab service, in 3 cities - Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Uber X aims to offer customers a similar luxurious experience at lower costs. The cars offered to ferry passengers are mainly C-segment sedans like Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Nissan Sunny, Ford Fiesta and Toyota Etios. The booking for Uber X services is to be done via the Uber app using a smartphone only, and the fare is deducted from the customer's credit card on reaching their destination.

The Uber X service will directly compete with radio cab services, such as those offered by Meru and Easy Cabs.

A chart comparing the fares of Uber and Uber X is attached for reference.

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uberx-fares.png

Link to news article

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2014 at 17:03.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 17:20   #41
BHPian

I am an avid user of radio cabs, and at most times just need an excuse to take one. Though I use my car as a primary workhorse, every time I am going to be late in morning or if I have party plans in the evening or on weekend mall trips - a radio cab has been my ride over the last few years.

The other part I am an avid user of is phone apps, I just tend to avoid calls any where I can and end up using apps for almost everything. It is no surprise that I only use apps for booking cabs too (I have 7 of them on my phone - Meru/Tab/Ola/TaxiPixi/Mega/Easy/Uber).

I have tried all these cabs all too often, but since we are talking about the premium category here I will restrict my comments to Uber and Ola Premium.

I anyday prefer an Ola premium cab over Uber
, reasons below:

App review
:
The Uber app is a global one and hence not quite customized for India.
- Ola lets you to pinpoint exact location and throws the address which you can edit to inform driver of exact location
- The same Ola app can be used to book both normal cabs or premium cabs, this gives you more options on a busy evening
- The Ola app lets you bookmark your regular addresses (home/office/in-laws place/bff place) and save it to use at a tip of a button
- In Ola, there is no need to give "drop" location and get rejected by drivers who do not want to ply that side

Car Review:
- Both Uber and Ola have the same/similar kind of tie ups when it comes to premium cabs (IMO)
- I have had the experience of using everything from a BMW / Audi / Merc to a Fortuner / Innova / Verna
I think both would score equally well on this parameter

Car Availability / Driver Courteousness / Other parameters:
- I have had a higher probability of getting a Ola cab over an Uber during peak hours. Hence with time, I now always try Ola before trying Uber
- I agree with GTO on the courteousness of drivers from Uber is a different league altogether. Not that Ola drivers are rude, but they are just "normal" drivers and I havent seen much of the Uber level of courteousness.
- No credit card payments in Ola so no last minute adjustments in actual fare charged (this is a pain when submitting Uber bills for official use)

Overall I prefer Ola Luxury to Uber anyday

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2014 at 12:33. Reason: Rule #11, thanks for sharing
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 09:22   #42
BHPian

I was in need of a cab this morning and my regular cab guy is not available. Thanks to this article, I suddenly remembered UBER services and wanted to give it a try. Registered immediately and got assigned an Innova with an estimated time of arrival as 9 minutes. To confirm, I called the driver directly and he came right on time. I didnt expect that and got delayed by a good 15 minutes. The driver waited patiently and all I was charged for a ride from my Home on Sarjapur Road to Richmond Town is just Rs 394. This is amazing. I pay nothing less than Rs 400 to my regular cab guy in his Etios.

I was so happy with the service, I even paid some generous tip to the driver.

From what I observered so far, UBER services in Bangalore seems to be pretty good and I am sure I will use their services hence forth.
samabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 14:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I was so happy with the service, I even paid some generous tip to the driver.
"Being Uber means there's no need to tip," says the FAQ.
Perakath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 14:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have a client of mine that has come down from the US and he's with us for the last couple of days. He has the 'Uber' app on his iPhone and says the service is too good and very economical too. He even showed me where his cab was and how many mins it would take the cab to reach the office to collect him. The best part is that the app displays a pic of the driver along with his rating in addition to the map which keeps showing the location of the cab at all times.
Old 4th July 2014, 15:34   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A few days back i got a Honda City in Mumbai! I asked him how long he'd been with Uber (3-4 months) and whether he had heard of UberX (nope, he hadn't) - but hopefully Mumbai will see this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
...Home on Sarjapur Road to Richmond Town is just Rs 394. This is amazing. I pay nothing less than Rs 400 to my regular cab guy in his Etios.
Was this Uber or UberX?

And i hope you paid the driver only the tip (and not the whole amount - as that gets billed to your card automatically)

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks