Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How frequently do you hit the highway?
More than once a month 125 29.62%
Once a month 75 17.77%
Once in 2 months 64 15.17%
Once in 3 months 58 13.74%
Damn, I really need to get out more often (Once in 4 or more months) 100 23.70%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 16:43   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How frequently do you hit the Highway?

*Poll added to the thread* - How frequently do you hit the highway? Head out on a road-trip, however short?

Note: If your daily commute to work includes the highway, please don't vote based on that. This poll is only for holiday road-trips, even if it's a one-day drive.

If Ford's survey (2,000 responses) is anything to go by, Indians rank highest in the Asia-Pac region for heading out on weekend getaways. An excerpt:

Quote:
Most Indians today are taking short, leisurely weekend road-trips to go out and spend their time with friends & family. As per the Ford Driving Habits Survey, 8 out of 10 Indians acknowledged going on a short, recreational trip at least once a month. Tied at the top spot with the Chinese, this is higher than their counter parts in Australia, Philippines and Thailand.

55% of drivers in India claim to take more than one road-trip every month, whereas 28% drivers travel to weekend destinations at least once in every four weeks. This shows that, with sizeable youth in the workforce and higher incomes, Indians are becoming increasingly mobile and showcasing inclination towards exploring new places more than ever before.
How frequently do you hit the Highway?-image004.jpg

My answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can't change my vote, but can add it here. For me, it's now 3 - 4 times a month. Every weekend, I'm out on a road-trip . Reason = Test-drive cars. Earlier in July, I spent a weekend in Nashik with the Venue. This weekend, it is in Pune with the Hector. I go to Lonavla more often than people go to a mall! Every car that we review, I now take out for a long drive (most memorable recent ones being the M5 & E63 ).

Next weekend, I'm taking another car out for a long drive (won't tell you which one yet). There is simply no better way to deeply understand a car than to take it out for a multi-day trip.

On the downside, because of all the test-drive cars that I have to drive & put 500 km on, my 530d is craving a highway run.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2019 at 10:17.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 16:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How frequently do you hit the Highway?

Living just off the highway with weekend getaways in either direction have meant that my car is a regular cruiser in the fast lane. Mumbai is the default destination but have also driven to Goa (multiple times), Bangalore, Solapur, Shirdi/Nashik, Diveagar, Ganapatipule, Lavasa, Khandala and many other destinations from the home base in Pune. Family shares the wanderlust so it's a win-win!

It always strikes as somewhat pathetic to use one's car only for commuting- crawling along bumper to bumper not allowing your engine to get some much needed exercise in the great wide open
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 17:18   #3
BHPian

Usually twice every month. Chandigarh, Jaipur, Alwar(usually a 5-600 km round trip). We have lot of relatives coming up North very frequently. As most of them are 40+, I'm given the duties of accompanying/ferrying them on these trips.

My thirst of travelling is satiated and I'm also able to maintain the good boy image.
Manoj2268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 18:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted More than once a month.

Lets say If I never stepped out on a weekend, I am sure the next weekend I make it to my home town which is 250 kms from Bangalore, just for a drive and no particular reason.

On an average, I easily hit the highway twice.

This is something that has been happening with me on a regular basis.

Pune and Chikmagalur/Belur take the maximum share among these.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th March 2015 at 18:39.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 19:14   #5
BHPian

More than once a month.

I live in the exteriors of Pune, more towards the highway to Mumbai and that works for me. At times, we get down to buy some stuff from the market and end up on some hills of Lonavala .

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2015 at 11:55. Reason: Typo
Engine_Roars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I'd like to be on item 1, but voted factually for the last item. Owing to family commitments, my highway trips, not to mention out of town trips, have become rare. It is my fervent dream to hit the highway by the end of this summer, when my daughter completes her CA.

My only respite is the ORR in the city which I visit at least once a month to stretch the legs of my Fiesta and Figo. But if you discount that, either car has only seen less than 10% of the miles crunched on highways.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th March 2015 at 19:23.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 19:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ok now that daily commute is not included.
I am out on the highway for leisure at least once or twice every month.
Be it a 200 kms drive or 400+.
That said my daily commute of 118kms includes 95kms of highway driving.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 13th March 2015 at 19:23.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 20:20   #8
J.Ravi

Voted for once a month as I drive/ride between Bangalore and Chennai every month.

Old 13th March 2015, 20:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Typically my highway drives are to my home town. Typically had been 2-3 times a year till I got my Vento TSI. In the 13 months since I got my Vento TSI, I have made 10 trips. At least 4 of them have been purely because I want to enjoy a long drive in the Tsi. And I look for any excuse to take the car to the highway.

Hence voted for once a month.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 20:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

I do a lot of driving on weekdays within the city (~2 lakh km in 7.5 years), so avoid any driving holidays.

Once in more than 4 months, but I am not complaining too much
Old 13th March 2015, 20:52   #11
BHPian

Before I got my bike, my weekend tours were limited to when ever the family decided to go on a holiday and that used to be once or twice a year. Now in the last one month I have been hitting the highway every weekend (mostly 250-300 kms rides) but plan to limit it to just once a month. Hence voted once a month.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 22:25   #12
BHPian

When I was in college, I used to hit the highway on my bike almost every evening/night(post 10 PM) just for relaxation. Since the bike was new, I used to enjoy it a lot in spite of it being just 15HP. There was no one to question me back then either, since I stayed away from home. But ever since I moved to BLR, I rarely take my bike out on weekends as I get tired of riding it in city for 2 hours everyday in horrible traffic.

Also, after tasting more powerful bikes and having extracted every drop of juice the bike has to offer, riding solo on my bike on highways isn't much fun. My friends have been very busy in the recent past too, to go on group trips.

I have been planning to buy a more powerful bike and a car. After that, I'd definitely do a lot of exploration in South India. Believe it or not, I have never been to AP and KL even after having lived in Karnataka for 20+ years. Damn!!!

PS: Voted "Damn, I really need to get out more often (Once in 4 or more months)"

Last edited by theredliner : 13th March 2015 at 22:32.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 11:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

I usually travel about 200 kms one way on the highway between home and office every other weekend. I do not want to take that as a holiday/weekend travel as i really don't like the alternative of public transport. That said my weekends are very busy with chores, so I have to vote for the last option.
Old 14th March 2015, 11:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

More than once a month. I stay away from hometown, hence no option to skip frequent highway drives.
Old 14th March 2015, 12:06   #15
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I definitely do it more than once a month, almost every weekend I go for a leisure ride on my motorcycle typically covering 250-300 kms. And every few weeks I go for a longer 1000-1500 km rides over 2-3 days.

Apart from this, I hardly use my motorcycle for city runs or office commutes.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks