Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 17:22   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Real result would be out on Monday but from what i could see in my 24 kms drive today, i have never seen the roads so empty ever from the past 2-3 years. It was such a pleasant experience driving through Delhi roads.

We need to do some thing about traffic and pollution, this rule is there for just 15 days for now so we should try and co-operate rather than ridiculing such efforts. Some thing needs to be worked out and and am glad some one took notice of the alarming pollution level and steps are being taken to get the situation under control.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 19:28   #347
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

As expected the outcome is not very encouraging.
Quote:
NEW DELHI: Half of Delhi's cars stayed off the city's roads on Friday, as the AAP government rolled out its 'odd-even' formula in a bid to control hazardously high levels of air pollution. However, the air quality showed no marked change and remained 'very poor'.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50407555.cms
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 19:35   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post

Changes are not going to happen overnight, we need to wait and watch.
Lets not be judgemental in less than 12 hours since the rule was enforced
And one should remember, that cars arent a major source of pollution.
Old 1st January 2016, 20:09   #349
BHPian

Are crackers Banned too? Or did today's charade just achieve in nullifying last night's midnight fireworks?

Anyways, it was nice to know the response to the rule has been positive on the part of Delhi'ites. Here's hoping this initiative becomes model for the world to follow and emulate.
Old 1st January 2016, 20:39   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm going to hold onto an opinion till 8 pm Monday. Everyone knows the situation in the 1st of January. Tomorrow's Saturday, so it will be more or less the same. The madness will arrive on Monday.
FYI, apparently the automated registration process of new vehicles can be bought for 20k rupees for specifying even or odd last digits.
Old 1st January 2016, 21:07   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Then what was the point of this tamasha?

In other news, i traveled from Noida to Gurgaon using public transport. For kicks. My little contribution to Mr Kejriwal's effort. I must say except not being able to sit down during the ride - atleast, it was quick enough. Door to door in two hours, which is only a tad longer than doing it myself. So for those not too far from the metro, it is doable only if you don't wear formal clothes to office.

But today there were no crowds - when my brother in law did it recently, he almost lost a pair of spectacles courtesy the crowds at Rajiv Chowk
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 21:40   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to some (or most) of the opinions posted on this thread I am fully in favour of this scheme and am hoping for its success and further expansion to two wheelers, the brick kilns, the truckers and then to action against government works departments who dig up the pavements and leave the mud covered debris to fly around adding to the fine dust pollution. We have to start somewhere and given the limitations that the State Govt of Delhi has (even the police is not in their control) they have limited options but to start with the easiest low hanging fruit ie cars. I am happy to be a part of this group to get the ball rolling on our city's extreme pollution. My family along with the families of most on this forum are the economic top 5% of this country and if we are not willing to step up as evidenced by the threads selected below then who will. In India we always want Mr. Somebody to step up and take action and Mr. Everybody to follow it so long as our little nest is not disturbed. If we are asked to make a small sacrifice for what really is a serious problem then no siree not me. We have oodles of advice but not one drop of willingness to act ourselves. At the cost of getting butchered on this forum I am pleased to say this is the first right step of a difficult journey. A lot more has to be done but that does not mean we should not take the first step that we can. We who constitute this country's middle class to rich class can afford to adjust our lives or our pockets to live with this law and we should do it. I hope these efforts do not get drowned in the crab like conduct we as a people are known for. My request to all Team BHPians is to follow the law and lets wait for the 15 day trial period to draw conclusions. I have not voted for the AAP but like hell we should give them a fair chance. I have not met a single person below the age of 18 who believes this scheme is a nut-job....because they see us (the current generation) burning up their future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I fail to understand the point of this 15 day exercise.. is it just to gauge the chaos on the streets and the public transport system?
It can never be a success, so why the circus act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
So, I cannot drive my car if I am going out with my family(of 5) in my Swift(which is designed to carry 5 thereby utilising the vehicle 100%) on an even day.

Wow! Just Wow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
I don't get this. So I am privileged class. 30% of my income is taxed. On that I pay 14.5% service tax on every transaction I make. The tax on the fuel I buy is 50%. On top of that, if I still manage to save and scrounge and buy a car then you tell me that I should be okay for using it only for half the time. Mind you, the Delhi government did tax me all of the road tax not just 50% of it.

What is the alternative to a car in India? Have you ever tried to find public transport in Gurgaon? What if you need to commute from Gurgaon to Connaught Place? How am I supposed to travel from my home in Gurgaon to a metro station or a bus stop?
Let us at least not say that it is okay since this affects only 1.8% of the population. Injustice is still injustice. It is like saying that only 2% of innocent people are behind bars. No it is not okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Yes, I agree that vehicles do contribute to the problem but targeting them ALONE is what leaves me enraged. The car-owners are soft targets and this why we the so called “privileged” section is unhappy. Why just us?
Moreover don’t make it an issue between the “privileged” and the “unprivileged”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
What about those who wish to travel outside delhi or are coming back home from some other city ?
Now travel plans will also depend on which number plate do you own. Foolish !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The Delhi CM has also asked car users to carpool instead of using buses or the metro, as they will be really crowded on those days .

Source

IMHO, this trial is a foregone conclusion. The pollution levels won't come down during the trial period by banning only the cars, if reports are to be believed.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 1st January 2016 at 21:54.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 23:36   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post

In Beijing, it took a 2 weeks to clear up. See the difference here :
http://thelogicalindian.com/news/the...even-car-rule/

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Contrary to some (or most) of the opinions posted on this thread I am fully in favour of this scheme and am hoping for its success
What happens after 15 days? In Delhi, this is a gimmick nothing else.
And then not allowing new diesel vehicles to be registered.. overnight? What happens to all the thousands of crores auto companies have invested? Lunacy.

Everyone here wants Delhi to be pollution free and agree that a drastic step is necessary. But you cannot force someone to do something, it has be the easier option. Strengthen the public transport system and then do this.

This is a big step :
http://www.businessinsider.in/Eight-...w/50101447.cms

Last edited by Hatari : 1st January 2016 at 23:44.
Old 1st January 2016, 23:56   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
How about a voluntary Odd-Even rule. Even if you state does not enforce it, why not do it yourself and ask family and friends to do the same. Then when your state finally enforces it, you will not find it inconvenient. Besides that you will be contributing in a small way to improve the air quality in your City/Town/Village.
The simplicity in things would be carpooling. It's one of the most underrated things. The benefits are
1. Less vehicles on road
2. Less pollution
3. Cost sharing/cutting
4. Building priceless relations with fellow passengers.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 07:58   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
In Beijing, it took a 2 weeks to clear up...What happens after 15 days? In Delhi, this is a gimmick nothing else.
And then not allowing new diesel vehicles to be registered.. overnight? What happens to all the thousands of crores auto companies have invested? Lunacy.

Everyone here wants Delhi to be pollution free and agree that a drastic step is necessary. But you cannot force someone to do something, it has be the easier option. Strengthen the public transport system and then do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
The simplicity in things would be carpooling. It's one of the most underrated things. The benefits are
1. Less vehicles on road
2. Less pollution
3. Cost sharing/cutting
4. Building priceless relations with fellow passengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Contrary to some (or most) of the opinions posted on this thread I am fully in favour of this scheme and am hoping for its success and further expansion to two wheelers...
I ventured out on Delhi roads yesterday especially on some jam spots to witness how this Odd Even scheme is going on day 1 i.e. 1st Jan 2016. One can expect less traffic on 1st of Jan since for many its either a hangover day or first official/unofficial holiday of the year.

1) There was less traffic on road. Most of the cars were odd numbered. There were defaulters too but the percentage was hardly 5%.
2) Enough of women and senior citizens on driver's seat. I think they are the most benefited of the lot as they will reach destination on time with a big smile on face, however I strongly oppose exceptions as law and order should be equal for all .
3) One ambulance found its way without hassle.
4) Enough of Pvt CNG buses running on DTC routes under Govt Scheme. Occupancy was less than half with people of all age groups, women, children plus they'll stop anywhere by raising hand. Means you just come out of the premises, raise hand and this bus will stop for you immediately. Looks like Delhi administration are taking security issues more seriously
5) I haven't seen vehicles being challaned, despite good presence of civil defense personnel and traffic police.

To early to conclude, but on practicality Delhites are following this. If we keep our political differences (I am not AAP supporter) & media critics aside, this scheme appears good enough for controlling traffic jams, noise pollution, friendly public transport but I'm not sure how air pollution will be controlled with so many exceptions in place.

Will go out today to see how autos and metros are doing business as both of my cars are Odd numbered

Last edited by OneToughRider : 2nd January 2016 at 08:11. Reason: typo
OneToughRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 08:31   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I support this initiative.
But the data speaks volumes. The pollution graph of <10ug at Anand Vihar last 24 hours.
http://www.dpccairdata.com/dpccairda...r10&graph=Line
You can see the pollution levels start rising drastically from 3PM. All I am saying is lot more needs to done if your real intention is to bring down pollution. Delhi cannot be seen in isolation in a densely populated North India. If you apply this scheme to all vehicles and across North India, you may see some improvements.

Last edited by poloman : 2nd January 2016 at 08:40.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:02   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Now its being contemplated that the next phase when it occurs, is going to have lesser exemptions.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50412326.cms

I like kejriwal, but he seriously needs to reconnect with the ground. Roaming around in the city on a holiday is not going to give you the correct picture. And that roaming around cannot give you a "100% succesful hai ji" result and declaration.

COuple of points on exemption of women:
1. Remember the helmet enforcement and the extremely strange arguments against?
2. I can ADJUST to taking buses and rickshaws, and crowded metros. I may even have to adjust to fleecing autos and taxis. But I will not be willing to put my wife and child in a metro or an auto in the freezing cold or the scalding sun, basically to any sort of inconvenience. No sir. You need to work harder than this.

I have a feeling the very people who are so gung-ho right now will be singing a very different song when faced with a no-go, and the results after this tamasha is over on the 15th.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:23   #358
Senior - BHPian

So, my experience yesterday. It was less traffic when I was going to my office in karolbagh in the morning. But evening was a mess. Chaos and jams all around. India gate was fully packed. People figured out that police can't check numbers in the dark so there were plenty of even number cars.

And a big LOL to Mr. Kejriwal for declaring it a success. You close the schools, so many offices were shut down and many people still on extended leave till Sunday. You don't take the data of late evening when Delhi has the most number of cars on road and declare it a success. Nice politics.

Mark my words. Monday will be chaos when everyone has to go to work.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:49   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But today there were no crowds - when my brother in law did it recently, he almost lost a pair of spectacles courtesy the crowds at Rajiv Chowk
It is going to be a diametrically different situation on Monday and also Tuesday. Tuesday will have the maximum public on the roads. I dread what Rajiv Chowk will be like between 8:30 - 11:00 AM. I doubt people will be able to use the internal foot over bridge to change lines, forget even about boarding the metros. Women,kids, and the elderly should avoid Rajiv Chowk. There might even be a stampede. Sorry to sound cynical, but it is in our Indian tendency to push and shove for a target, irrespective of man, animal, or weed.
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:00   #360
Senior - BHPian

The affluent's will simply buy enough odd number and even number cars. Not so affluent will consider a cheaper alternate number car.

I would simply buy an even number car may be a Na no to commute on those alternate days.

I fear now the mindset changes to buying more cars, bribe for numbers and registration and all possible corrupt practice's than actually fixing the pollution issue.

Time to incentivice electric cars, build enough charging station and even provide additional benefits to return ones gasoline car in exchange of electric ones.

Provide discount's at different things if your family is run only on electric cars.

Punishing does not help as the country is built on bribe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks