Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 15:14   #601
BANNED

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Today was the first real day, and looking at the traffic the cops did not go about challaning.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:56   #602
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
And now, I have to haggle with a Meru who overcharges, or pray for an Ola or Uber which are scantily available for the last few days?

Where is fairness of governance?

This, pardon the language, is as nonsensical and a misuse of power as it is preposterous and self-defeating...
Now even that prayer is being taken away. Our friends are unhappy with letting markets function.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51869605.cms

Quote:
On Sunday, Kejriwal announced that his government would take "strong action" against app-based taxis operating in the national capital. "Received some complaints against Ola/Uber. Government planning strong action against them. Will announce it soon," he tweeted.
Old 18th April 2016, 18:08   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Now even that prayer is being taken away. Our friends are unhappy with letting markets function.
Wonders will never cease... The common man be damned, and so on...

Four-wheelers emit the least amount of PM2.5 and they are banned on Odd and Even days, as the case may be. Smoke-belching trucks, black smoke spewing motorcycles are allowed to ply, alongside errant and undisciplined Autorickshaws who fleece and under-maintain their machines... But a Merc or a BMW or an Audi or a Skoda, all of which conform to Euro 5 and even Euro 6 norms, are targeted.

What a pithy irony: A high-end diesel that can be registered in Europe or the US, after the auto company having spent millions upon millions on emission-control meaures, cannot be registered in Delhi anymore. And the ones that are registered already can only run on alternate days.

A telling case in point: I know a person who (after years of planning and saving and waiting) bought himself a Euro 5-compliant Mercedes. It's odd-numbered. So for today, he is traversing the streets of Delhi in his wife's 14-year-old Zen. Pray, do tell me, which pollutes more?! Tomorrow, he will be back in his Merc, while his wife will be in an auto or Ola!

rajeevn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 21:51   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

There was no respite from the traffic so to say today. It was more or less the same as any other day. This was without any autos and yellow-black cabs. I am guessing people are armed this time to counter the scheme. Maybe with CNG kits, maybe with a second car.
Old 18th April 2016, 22:35   #605
Senior - BHPian

The odd/even scheme will lose its purpose within one year even if it will be made permanent. People will either go for CNG kits or a second car different number. I am seeing so many CNG stickered car these days in Delhi
Old 18th April 2016, 22:44   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear BHPians, This is a contrarian point of view. The views expressed on Team BHP are of a small portion of the road using population. I wonder what the other half thinks of odd-even - those who ride two wheelers out of necessity, the cyclists, the bus users, those crowded into Tata Aces and large three wheelers, those pushing or pulling carts and so on. We car owners are lesser polluters only as far as atmospheric pollution goes when compared to three wheelers or trucks. But as far a space pollution goes we are the worst. And we rarely understand how the other half feels about it. A small to medium car carrying two folks (driver+1) occupies about say 7 square metres of road space ie 3.5 sq metres/person. A Tata Ace carrying 7 including the driver (not the 10 or 11 that is usual) clocks say about 1 sq metre/person - it is less of a space polluter if I may use such a term. A typical full bodied bus would be closer to 0.5 sq metres even without standee passengers. It quite likely that just the way we 'the real haves' are cursing the present Delhi Govt for its schemes there is another larger segment saying 'wow this sarkar really knows how to show those road hogging sahibs their place'. And therein hangs a tale.

As for me personally this scheme, which it seems will get repeated regularly, is like taxes. Bear it and pay it.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th April 2016 at 22:46.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 08:49   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear it.

Sorry, but was this not touted as, and trumpeted to be the drive to kill pollution? I'm lost.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 09:00   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It quite likely that just the way we 'the real haves' are cursing the present Delhi Govt for its schemes there is another larger segment saying 'wow this sarkar really knows how to show those road hogging sahibs their place'. And therein hangs a tale.

As for me personally this scheme, which it seems will get repeated regularly, is like taxes. Bear it and pay it.
So even road hogging is a crime after paying through your nose for road tax..!! So this step is not to curb pollution but to massage the egos of the other half. Instead of providing the other half with better facilities, bring the other half also on par. Well done..!!
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 11:09   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We car owners are lesser polluters only as far as atmospheric pollution goes when compared to three wheelers or trucks. But as far a space pollution goes we are the worst.
I understand your point fully and second it. Here's an image to prove it:

Name:  sCvRIEd.gif
Views: 782
Size:  1.11 MB

That's the reason why congestion charge is not levied on cars with 3 or more occupants in London.

Although I've never really traveled in a lot Delhi, I think my city (Bangalore) is inconvenient when it comes to public transport.

My daily commute in a bus involves changing buses at 3 points and is one hour long. The same can be done in a 2 wheeler or car in 30 minutes.

Here's the problem:
  1. The govt can't charge steeply for public transport
  2. They can only tax car users. <The usual soft target>
  3. They invest the money from taxes in improving public transport by adding more buses
  4. Not too many use buses
  5. Everybody likes the comfort of their car
  6. Weather in India is too hot to walk a 1 or 2 kms
  7. So we're back to step 1

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 19th April 2016 at 11:10.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 11:39   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians, This is a contrarian point of view. The views expressed on Team BHP are of a small portion of the road using population. I wonder what the other half thinks of odd-even - those who ride two wheelers out of necessity, the cyclists, the bus users, those crowded into Tata Aces and large three wheelers, those pushing or pulling carts and so on. We car owners are lesser polluters only as far as atmospheric pollution goes when compared to three wheelers or trucks. But as far a space pollution goes we are the worst. And we rarely understand how the other half feels about it. A small to medium car carrying two folks (driver+1) occupies about say 7 square metres of road space ie 3.5 sq metres/person. A Tata Ace carrying 7 including the driver (not the 10 or 11 that is usual) clocks say about 1 sq metre/person - it is less of a space polluter if I may use such a term. A typical full bodied bus would be closer to 0.5 sq metres even without standee passengers. It quite likely that just the way we 'the real haves' are cursing the present Delhi Govt for its schemes there is another larger segment saying 'wow this sarkar really knows how to show those road hogging sahibs their place'. And therein hangs a tale.

Can we please lay off the preachiness and get down to brass tacks on what will happen? This is only hurting the urban middle class. The upper / upper middle class will sooner or later get a vehicle to beat the rules - like u advise, bear it and pay it. The two wheeler owners are exempt anyways.

Mindless regulation creates cheeky compliance with negative externalities (parking mayhem in unauthorized colonies). If only our netas were a little thoughtful and long term - Sheila Dikshit's idea of BRT was brilliant. Waiting for Kejri to come true on his elevated BRT promise soon. That is the only way to go for Delhi.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 11:55   #611
BHPian

Being a south Indian,I never gave much importance to Delhi.During my recent trip to Delhi,when I had to stay for a week,I noted few points.Delhi is choking with vehicles.Rather than pollution prevention,traffic is being controlled by odd even scheme. This had actually created problem for people, who are dropping their kids to schools and those who use their cars for daily commute. A good thing about Delhi is a well connected metro rail system, which can be used by office goers and executives. OLA and Uber charges double or triple the prices when in peak hours. Alternate roads are the only option. Also new fly overs, wherever signals are creating traffic jams. The roads to Gurugram and Noida needs to be free of traffic signals.
Old 19th April 2016, 12:11   #612
BHPian

Brace yourself for odd-even policy! I'm sure next round of survey will 'again' result in acceptance of odd-even scheme.

Source: http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...-year-2759777/

Quote:
Dear BHPians, This is a contrarian point....Bear it and pay it.
I think we are changing the goal posts here. Pollution was what we started to solve for by this scheme. Now the focus has shifted to congestion. And I'm afraid that the sentiment you expressed in your post may exactly be the driver for this scheme.
Old 19th April 2016, 19:41   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

This time the #oddeven is unable to battle the congestion it cured last time. I personally did not experience any drastic reduction in commute times like earlier. City seems to be preparing itself for the permanent odd even formula.

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1461074901807.jpg

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1461074915607.jpg

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1461074928597.jpg

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1461074939017.jpg

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1461074952357.jpg

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1461074965177.jpg
Old 19th April 2016, 23:51   #614
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I am guessing people are armed this time to counter the scheme. Maybe with CNG kits, maybe with a second car.
What's the other option?

There is no metro station within 3-4 kms of my house, there is no auto stand, there is no bus stand, Ola/ uber takes at least 20 mins to arrive and there is a local taxi stand in walking distance which charges almost a 500+ if not 1000+ for anything (provided they are in a mood to drive!).

To add to that no one in family in a 9-6 single destination type job!, odd even is hell for us.

So we converted 1 car to CNG so that at least there is some respite and increase some traffic on road.

Even the other car that used to do 30 km/day on a normal day, now does almost double, so our family contribution to traffic stays same.

But yes, the purpose of the scheme is still achieved. Sadist pleasure to the vote bank.
SLK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 10:04   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

This is now a vindictive battle between people who can cope with this, and people who do not have any option.
I read a statement by some arm-chair monk in the daily rag today, to the effect of there being too much warning for people to adapt to this rule, due to the advance notification about april 15. He was of teh opinion that odd even should be announced without notice.
Can ANYONE give some logic to his reasoning?
Going on, it is still incomprehensible why two wheelers are not under the ambit of this scheme.
Surge pricing: Delhiites should not protest this. We are used to the urge to surge for decades now from the autowallas. I believe the cabbies are "chors" with surge pricing, but the autowallahs have been thieving for eons now. Whats up with that?

Can the supporters expound on how the public transport infra has been strengthened in the past 2 months?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks