Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 17:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Hilarious parody: Bangalore ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
The total number of people working in Ecospace : (wait for it...!) : Approx 120K!
Now imagine only 10% of them trying to get out of a SINGLE exit and merging onto a road which already has flowing traffic (including buses stopping and hogging the left lane).
Are you Serious?
I really think that number is grossly exaggerated (No offence please).
If we take into consideration that a normal floor plan can accommodate 300 people per floor (A much inflated number) and consider 7 floors on average per building, then we are looking at close to 60 buildings inside Ecospace!
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 17:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Are you Serious?
If we take into consideration that a normal floor plan can accommodate 300 people per floor (A much inflated number) and consider 7 floors on average per building, then we are looking at close to 60 buildings inside Ecospace!
Well, not really
A general IT floor can hold more than 600 folks. e.g. I used to be a part of a 300 member strong team which occupied just half the floor of a tower in a tech park. So, don't think 600+ number is too far off the truth.

I got the info from the mobilization team of another MNC who are working to set up another office within Ecospace.

Also remember, the Ecospace entrance also caters for the Pritech Park traffic. It's not entirely the Ecospace exclusive traffic. My bad, I should have clarified it that way.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 21:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Are you Serious?

Well did you know that there is another SEZ called Pritech park which is inside ecospace. And Pritech doesnt have its own entrance/exit and relies on Ecospace. Hence the number 120K is fairly accurate considering the fact that all buildings in Pritech are 10 floors each. There was an article on Bangalore Mirror few months back that approximately 80000 to 1 lakh vehicles enter and leave ecospace in a day. I believe that number too to be fairly accurate and hence the mess.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 02:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Well, not really
A general IT floor can hold more than 600 folks. .
This was with regards to your statement on travel time in other cities in comparison to blr. I think the main concern about any bhpian out here is the "traffic" and not the "time" involved in the commute. If traffic is moving no one would be cribbing. Appreciate you folks making efforts to ease the burden on the commuters, but strongly feel the local govt is totally responsible for this mess. There was no infra available for this load and to beat it, nothing is being done to ease this pain.

Maddy
Old 6th July 2016, 07:07   #50
BHPian

I am glued to this thread for some time now! The situation has been described very well! Just wanted to ask, is there anyone here who has'nt taken a scratch or hit in such chaotic situations?
Old 6th July 2016, 07:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
There was an article on Bangalore Mirror few months back that approximately 80000 to 1 lakh vehicles enter and leave ecospace in a day. I believe that number too to be fairly accurate and hence the mess.
Very sad state of affairs. My wife works in Adarsh Tech Park near to Ecospace. Existing traffic rules means she has to pass through Ecospace and reach bellandur underpass and take U turn to join Marathahalli/K R Puram road. She leaves office by 3 30 everyday in cab to escape this hell!! On days when her work gets delayed by even 30-45 minutes, things turn hell and she does not get a cab. She walks to her sisters house in bellandur and waits for me to pick her up. I go to pick her up only after 9 30 at night on those days. One of the cab driver said that he never steps inside bellandur once its 4PM. How can we blame them. It takes minimum 40 minutes to pass than 1.5 Km mess on peak traffic. Sad part is there is one more Ecospace coming up 5-6 Km away in Sarjapur Road near Carmelaram railway station. and the design is exactly like this.
1) Near/Under a flyover - Check
2) Only one Entry and Exit - Check
3) Force the police to make service road one way - Super Check (There is no service road!!!)
4) Added incentives -- One railway station nearby to create even bigger choc-a-block.
5) Added incentives -- its a 4 line road not a 6 line (Proposed 6 line is for 2022)
6) Added incentives -- There are already some 25000-3000 residential apartments in various stages to give equal competition to TT's and Taxi's.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 09:21   #52
BHPian

Hilarious parody: Bangalore ORR

Quote:
Very sad state of affairs. My wife works in Adarsh Tech Park near to Ecospace.

I know the pain you feel. I work in the last building inside ecospace/pritech. Sometimes i stay in office till about 10 or 11pm to wait out the taffic mess inside ecospace. Its better to sit in office than to inhale exhaust gases from ill maintained cabs,TTs,wingers. I have seen JCBs, cement mixtures, container trucks inside since yet another building got constructed inside pritech. Many prospectives joinees in my company are not joining due to this mess. I think its time for BLRexit. Its better to take pay cut and live outsidr blore than living in absolute pollution and stress.

Last edited by kiran_cr : 6th July 2016 at 09:23.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 09:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

From all the posts here and my 2 years experience of staying in Bangalore what I gather is that the ORR planners, never ever thought that the city will mushroom so wildly and the outer ring road will turn into some kind of a village main road within 10 years of planning. I am currently residing in Hyderabad and the city has a similar problem (although not on such a disastrous scale) on the inner ring road which has turned into a main road within the city. However the city planners were more foresighted and less corrupt than Bangalore ones hence they designed a fantastic access controlled 8 laned ORR in Hyderabad, which provides stress free commute from any place to any place within the city. And thank god they banned 2/3 wheelers from the ORR, these slow bovines must be confined to village roads only.
Regarding the Bangalore ORR problem, the only solution I can think for deconjestion is to either make the IT park areas vehicle free (at least private vehicle free) during set hours or to make flyover roads over the ORR, with access gates for entry and exit.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 09:28   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Extremely well written and each of us part of this crème-de-la-crème of traffic jams would relate to it on a daily basis. I had a customer meeting at Eco Space and from 4 pm till 5 pm I was blissfully stuck within the Tech Park. Situation is very sad and to make it worse, there is a foot over bridge which is coming up over this chaos for pedestrians. However, you will be surprised by its width - it is suitable for 1 fat person or 2 moderately nourished individuals who could share the same step at the same time. How could there not be a jam on the foot over bridge?? Adding to the woes, the drain which separates the service road from the main road has been dug up with trucks and earth movers parked on the 1st lane leaving users with even less options. Did we miss the lane-less outlawed TT, Cab Drivers and Autowallas? Mr.CM are you listening?
I live in HSR. My office is in Koramangala quite near Forum. This has been pretty much the scenario for me since I moved here to BLR 13 years ago.

The commute is approx 6.5 kms long.

Going to office in the morning (through Jakkasandra/ Koramangala) can take 20 min flat or it can take 1 hour, depending on the time one leaves home.
Going back home (via Silk Board) can take 15 min flat or it can take 1 hour, depending on the time one leaves office.

One day quite recently one of my customers asked us to come visit them at 5 pm on a Friday evening at their office near Sakra Hospital.

It took me 1.5 hours from Koramangala to Sakra, in bumper to bumper stop start traffic on the way out.
And it took me 1 hour in bumper to bumper stop start traffic on the way home from Sakra area to HSR.

And this is what we pay our taxes faithfully, for.
This state (Karnataka) also has the highest Road Tax in India.

It is a wonderful place and a lovely state of affairs which no one can do anything about, short of leaving the city and relocating somewhere else. (Preferably abroad)
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 13:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
I think its time for BLRexit. Its better to take pay cut and live outsidr blore than living in absolute pollution and stress.
Are all companies encouraging the employees to work from home. This can provide relief to an extent. I am in the mechanical side and do not have to rely on 3D mechanical design softwares. Mine is more of a co ordination job with the buyer,supplier, manufacturing plant and design team. People like me can afford to work from home.
Likewise even in the IT sector, the companies should start identifying teams that need not come to office on a daily basis.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 08:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Regarding the Bangalore ORR problem, the only solution I can think for deconjestion is to either make the IT park areas vehicle free (at least private vehicle free) during set hours or to make flyover roads over the ORR, with access gates for entry and exit.
You are right apachelongbow, de-congestion is the ideal way forward. But somehow the important people who make the decisions do not think so. The stretch from Marathalli to Bellandur has around 8 Tech parks (counting both sides of road). It is a complete disaster.

I think the new upcoming location is now Devanhalli. Recently went there, and was impressed by the width of the roads through-out. Hope the planning continues the same way there, once the construction is completed and offices begin. Till then, traffic is a way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One day quite recently one of my customers asked us to come visit them at 5 pm on a Friday evening at their office near Sakra Hospital.

It took me 1.5 hours from Koramangala to Sakra, in bumper to bumper stop start traffic on the way out.
And it took me 1 hour in bumper to bumper stop start traffic on the way home from Sakra area to HSR.

And this is what we pay our taxes faithfully, for.
This state (Karnataka) also has the highest Road Tax in India.

It is a wonderful place and a lovely state of affairs which no one can do anything about, short of leaving the city and relocating somewhere else. (Preferably abroad)
I sometimes see an ambulance (of Sakra) stuck in the jams with us. Even if people want to give space to it, they cannot ! This leads to relentless honking by everyone around, so much so that people in the vicinity might suffer from ear damage. I am sure its a big challenge to reach Sakra in time for any ambulance carrying someone in critical condition.

And like you, I too have had this thought of re-locating abroad but some factors keep me from taking this giant leap. But the thought is still very much there, ever so persistent.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 16:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometime in early 2004, as a employee of one of the first companies in this now notorious belt, i recall my manager telling me-"Please do not stay in office after 6, the road towards Marathahalli from Belandur can get very deserted and is not very safe"

What a transformation.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 16:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Sometime in early 2004, as a employee of one of the first companies in this now notorious belt, i recall my manager telling me-"Please do not stay in office after 6, the road towards Marathahalli from Belandur can get very deserted and is not very safe"

What a transformation.
Now also a manager can telling similar thing. Please do not stay in office after 6 pm. Because it is way too crowded and traffic piles up.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 18:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

What a transformation.
When I was an employee of TVS back in 1999-2000, I stayed at Hosur in the weekdays and got back home at the week ends. While getting back to Hosur on sunday evening, I usually took the TNSTC bus to Hosur. After crossing bommanahalli, the driver used to switch off the lights in the bus all the way till the border.
I remember vividly that post bommanahalli there were no buildings as such and the areas were completely deserted.
Now if you look at the scenario, all that you get to see is concrete jungles.
Old 8th July 2016, 09:21   #60
BHPian

The situation is going to get worse once Intel's new SRR3 bulding comes up. It takes me an hour and a half to cover 13kms (Jayanagar 1st block to Intel). Thats why I work twice a week from home as it saves me time (close to 3 hours).

Last edited by Samurai : 8th July 2016 at 10:10. Reason: #Rule 13

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks