Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 16:08   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gurupprasad View Post
......other than telling the kids not to peep out (that beats the purpose of the sunroof)........
I presume you asked in earnest, so I'll suggest you start by changing the thought process in the bit quoted above.

Sunroof or any other openings in the car (windows included) are NOT for people to peep/hang body parts out of a moving vehicle. In some circumstances, it can be dangerous even while standing still (e.g. when other vehicles are moving around you), but doing it while in motion is just plain suicidal.

Can't repeat this enough: Sunroof is NOT for peeping/hanging body parts out of. Don't do it, don't let your loved ones do it. Ever!

P.S. There are far better and safer options to enjoy that awesome wind-in-your-face feeling. Trail-biking is one. Don't forget your helmets and knee guards (of course), if you care to try it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th September 2016 at 16:14.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:18   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gurupprasad View Post
at a user level, other than telling the kids not to peep out (that beats the purpose of the sunroof), what can we do best to address these cases?
No, that is not the purpose of a sunroof.

Quote:
if we can pen down our suggestions, it would be helpful for fellow countrymen to make sure that their kids/whomsoever-popping-their-head-out are safe and enjoying.
I think you have missed the point of the posts on safety of passengers, including babies and children, in cars. Mentioned often on the site, and several times in this thread.

Quote:
my thought (could be crazy too) - when a someone puts their head out, it can extend up to 20 to 25 cms from the roof. can there be a vizor along the roof (in front of the opening). this can also prevent dust/dirt/particle from entering into the eyes too.
Yes, sorry, but it is crazy --- because it is crazy not to be properly belted into seat or childseat.
Quote:
maybe this weekend, i can sit with my car and check what i can do to bring up a solution.
Take your left hand and reach up above your right shoulder. You will find the solution. Adjust for passengers sitting on different sides, and for children in childseats.

Nothing else is required and nothing else should be sought.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 15:25   #168
BHPian

Spotted at Lokhandwala Mumbai today. Father on phone. Child with head popped out.

Sad.
Attached Thumbnails
Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!-img_20160913_13201783801.jpeg  

Old 13th September 2016, 18:13   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Masda! Moving your post out to its own thread; there are many who need a reminder of just how dangerous this practice is. On a recent trip to Lonavla, I lost count of the number of kids (sometimes two together) with their heads out of the sunroof.
As I would gather, you take this to be a serious issue, new thread and all.
I personally think that it is very very serious. If one wants to have fresh air while driving with an open top, then please buy a convertible. At least you will be belted.

Therefore, I would like to know why are the number plates of some of these geniuses cars blanked? Let all see the number plates as well.

Another point, does anyone know if and what is the penalty for this behavior, if it is even an offence? Is it only for driving without a seat belt fastened, or is there an additional offence. Just wondering.

Cheers to an awakening harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 10:37   #170
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Money can't buy you brains. Spotted last night on Marine Drive. THREE kids out of a sunroof ; girl in the middle was actually sitting on the roof .

Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!-20170225-22.38.47.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 11:39   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Money can't buy you brains. Spotted last night on Marine Drive. THREE kids out of a sunroof ; girl in the middle was actually sitting on the roof .

Attachment 1613107
I am curious, surely some cop will be seeing this right? Why are they not stopping or fining these activities - aren't they any rule to stop this? I understand that implementation is always bad in India - but this looks so dangerous and something that needs to be stopped immediately.

Less said about the owner, the better :-(.
partha379 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:42   #172
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
I am curious, surely some cop will be seeing this right?
It was a busy night and there were lots of cops around. But I didn't see anyone pulling this idiot over.

Problem is, other drivers will see this antic, get inspired & have their kids 'enjoy' the experience too. It doesn't take long for a new practice to become a phenomena in India.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:49   #173
BHPian

Quote:

Problem is, other drivers will see this antic, get inspired & have their kids 'enjoy' the experience too. It doesn't take long for a new practice to become a phenomena in India.
It already is. I see a lot of Facebook pictures these days with the upper portion of the body popping out through the sunroof. They are prevalent even among pre-wedding photoshoots.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:54   #174
Team-BHP Support

I have no problems with adults popping their heads out of the sunroof - their life. They should know better.

But I feel sad for the kids, who may not be aware of the risks, doing so and adults not stopping them.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th February 2017 at 11:06.
Eddy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't take long for a new practice to become a phenomena in India.
true, switching on hazards during low visibility immediately comes to mind. In the last 2 to 3 years it has become the new normal. Last year people were looking at me as if i am an idiot when i switched on the fog lamps instead of the hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
But I feel sad for the kids, who may not be aware of the risks, doing so and adults not stopping them.
Forget adults not stopping them, many parents buy cars with sunroof so that their kids can stick their head out while driving. I personally know of so many cases and no amount of reasoning about the risks makes any difference. I have now given up.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:27   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw another of these enlightened souls at the Abhimanshree junction on Pashan-University road this weekend with a couple of young kids poking out of the sunroof of a moving red Audi. It used to disturb me earlier, now I just accept it as idiocy and move on, praying I don't witness anything untoward.

Quote:
It was a busy night and there were lots of cops around. But I didn't see anyone pulling this idiot over.
Oh I can well imagine the conversation when that happens...

Owner: Aye! Kyun side kiya mereko? (Why did you pull me over, officer?)
Cop: Sir, bacha log...sar baahar...sun roof...galat hai (Children need to be secured inside the car at all times, preferably in a child seat)
Owner: Abey aye, tereko maloom nahi mein kaun hu? (Officer, there seems to have been some mistake. I am not breaking the law here.)
Cop: mumble...mumble...chalo jaao (I apologise. I was in error. Obviously you are a decent, law-abiding member of society and excellent family man).

Quote:
It's incumbent to each of us to explain to our kids that such behaviour is highly dangerous, using age-appropriate language. As an example, we explained to my kid when she was 4 that she is not allowed to sit in the front seat at any time because there is an "air balloon" (her own words) that can come out and hurt her badly. She is now 10 and explains it in the same language to her little sister. Am sure we all have the creative skills to deter sunroof-peeking similarly.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:02   #177
BHPian

How about this. SRK taking his son AbRam for a ride in his convertible. I hope this was not intentional.
Attached Thumbnails
Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!-srk.jpg  

Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:10   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
How about this. SRK taking his son AbRam for a ride in his convertible. I hope this was not intentional.
What's NOT intentional there?

A superstar that millions of people are more than willing to ape at the drop of a hat, indulging in the same irresponsible behavior as the next imbecile on the street. Money and fame can't buy one brains.

I got no business acting high and mighty that he should set a good example to society being a big name. He's just another irresponsible parent endangering his child. A potentially dangerous situation won't spare his child just because he's SRK. Poor kid.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th February 2017 at 12:21.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:31   #179
BHPian

Quote:
girl in the middle was actually sitting on the roof
God! That gives me shivers! This is a game plan for disaster! one sudden brake, god help the kid!

Can't really blame the kids here, it is the fault of the so called adults, who don't know the distinction between thrill and basic safety!

The adults in the car should be HEAVILY penalized, absolute lunacy.

Slightly OT, Do we really need these sun-roofs in cars - especially those in cities ?? I hate driving even with my windows open due to the heavy pollution and dust.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:31   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Can't really blame the kids here ...
We can't blame the children at all. Our instincts are stuck in the days of the jungle, and our common sense requires education and experience. To a child, these are just fun experiences. Of course they are. They are not old enough to know better, but the parents are.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks