Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 18:17   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!

Mod Note: Nudging the thread back on-topic. This is not a DRL thread
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 20:59   #197
BHPian

It is a pity nobody supports my low-tech innovation like coloured flags in place of DRLs or 'always-on' HLs. Any way, a true genius is never appreciated during his/her lifetime ! Maybe towards the middle of this century we will revert to the old English custom of a man walking with a red flag in front of every automobile (calling it the Snakeman Rule instead of the Red Flag Act), and streets will be safe again !

Coming back to the sunroof, it is an enjoyable extra, under the right conditions. As manjha and low branches cannot be ruled out, or outlawed, I suggest Indian cars also devise some sort of screen guard that pops up in front every time the sunroof opens, or a motion/IR sensor sees someone stick his head out, so that one is saved from decapitation ! Because, as I pointed out earlier, the manjha-menace does not threaten only those with sun roofs.... rural people always prefer riding on top of buses and trekker-like vehicles to escape the sardine-tin conditions inside. And before electrification, rail coach roofs went the same way.

In our youth, we were part of a Yezdi gang in the industrial township of Rourkela, Orissa (Now Odhisha). After a hard day's labour at the project site, we used to go on late night excursions to riversides and other serene locations, after dinner at a state highway-side DHABA, to sleep the night off, coming back early morning to prepare for another shift starting at 0800 hrs. Less wild colleagues, usually Calcutta Bongs, used to warn us of highway dacoits who tighten a fine wire across the road the moment they see a two wheeler headlight, to slit the throat of the rider and rob him. We were more afraid of running across wild animals than these mythical dacoits whom we never met !
The point of this anecdote is that there are many manjha like dangers on Indian roads, and not for the sun-roof users alone !
Old 8th March 2017, 22:13   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to the square one of manja arguments: bikers are the most at risk from the menace.
Old 11th February 2021, 20:03   #199
GTO
Team-BHP Support

5-star safety rating car, but 0-star driver brain . Spotted in Lonavla. Dumb family had their heads out even on the expressway @ 80 kmph.

Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!-20210207-11.57.30.jpg

Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!-20210207-11.57.26.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 20:33   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
5-star safety rating car, but 0-star driver brain...
Once upon a time, you and I used to be smokers. Maybe you knew better, but I used to throw my cigarette ends out of the car window. One day, a biker friend asked me to imagine getting a glowing cigarette end inside their jacket. That made me think and I never did it again.

At those speeds, any piece of litter is going to at least hurt. A piece of grit could blind. And those are just the small things that could go wrong.

I'm glad you left the number plate. Just maybe their inclusion in this thread might get back to them, and just maybe they might think.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks