Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 06:58   #1
BHPian

Which car is a head-turner on Indian roads?

Let's face it. We do live in a world where cars enhance our lives in multiple ways other than just transportation and one of those factors is the "Prestige Factor". I believe that in our society most (not all) cars are judged based on the badge value, looks and the attention it brings the owner way more than what's under the hood.

So I was extremely curious to know which car/brand according to you (or based on personal experience) with the exception of super/hyper cars gets the best reaction/attention on our Indian roads?

Ofcourse! The most obvious answer will probably be a ferrari/lambo etc, but that's why I mentioned they're exceptions. Also, do you have any personal experiences where you got the royal treatment or saw a few heads turn as you passed them by in your ride?

Let me start by mentioning my experience with my 3 series. Although this car is nothing much to brag about, but I was surprised by the number of head turns and reactions it gets on the street. Especially from the younger generation.

I had one instance where a petrol station attendant kept staring at the car and then finally asked me - "Sir ye 1 crore ki gaadi hai na?" (This car is worth 1 crore, right?). I always receive special treatment in parking lots at malls and often get a premium parking spot just because I happen to be driving a German car.

And the best of all is how quickly other vehicles get out of your way the moment they see you in their rear view mirror. It gives you that little feeling of "Being Special" on the road.

What about you guys?

Last edited by rahul_jo : 30th September 2016 at 07:06.
rahul_jo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 08:09   #2
BHPian

re: Which car is a head-turner on Indian roads?

Not taking all the souped up Vtecs and Lancers into account, here's some car models i noticed that turn a lot of heads every time they pass by.
1) Well maintained Contessa
2) Heavily modified Thars
3) Ambassadors (In any other color than White. Not including the kaali peelis!)
4) Suzuki Gypsys.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2016 at 13:20. Reason: Typo
Skyline_GT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 08:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say, it's none other than the Thar!

However, good looking SUVs like the endeavor and now the D Max VCross come close.
dhanushs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:27   #4
BHPian

A Thar or any open jeep is a head turner.
But Thars are common sight now a days. So, my vote would go to any damn convertible! Whichever place it is, convertibles get lots of attention. People are mad on convertibles.
Not a head turner, indeed a body turner
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Depends on who's watching:

- For the mango person, any car upwards of 25 lakhs or with German lineage has immense aspirational value

Until last decade, a BMW was everything someone wanted because all we'd seen were Mercs. Then when BMWs became too far and common, it is Audi and Jaguar.

- For the enthusiast, even a properly done Brio (the 1.5 Crio for instance) will turn heads
libranof1987 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest head turner(literally), has to be the Tata Xenon. My orthopedist loves it!
Apart from that, for me, a well maintained Padmini does it as well!
mayankk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:05   #7
BHPian

These days, I have to say the Ford Endeavor is turning the biggest heads. It's humongous and with those bright LEDs, it looks imposing.

Absolutely stunning!
The Brutailer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:28   #8
BHPian

Nothing better than a Thar modded appropriately for off-roading. Put in some good looking off road tyres and it machos up one's appeal like nothing else
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:37   #9
BHPian

True... Beemers, Mercs and Audis are too much of a common sight these days. For me it has to be a Volvo V40 CC. It might not have the Snob Value, but you notice nothing else when you see one on the road!!!
rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 11:35   #10
BHPian

Apart from expensive rides (which are a common sight now), only the BIG muscular cars make people have a second glance. Sportiva Fortuners with black rims, New Endeavor, etc. commands a respect. Modded pickup trucks like Tata Xenon and D-Max V-Cross make people rubberneck at them. The first reaction is always of a wow, and then starts the "why this unpractical car" discussions.

Plus, any car with ballooned M/T tyres is also an eye-magnet!
And yes, cabriolets are another head turners.
revharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 11:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

I dont think even a Cayenne gets any attention compared to off road modded vehicles with beefy wheels.
Longer cars like S class, Jag XJ and convertibles get more attention than shorter variants of premium car makers. Size matters.

Last edited by srishiva : 30th September 2016 at 11:59.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 12:05   #12
BHPian

My Thar makes heads turn everywhere. I get special parking most places and am usually stopped at least once a day with people asking me about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car is a head-turner on Indian roads?-whatsapp-image-20160930-12.04.26.jpeg  

manasm is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 12:27   #13
BHPian

A very well maintained good ol' OHC. I always wanted to own this gem but they are rare even in used car market. Still many owner's prized possession.
Old 30th September 2016, 12:41   #14
Team-BHP Support

Definitely this one - especially with two passengers (tall or slightly built).

Which car is a head-turner on Indian roads?-revai1.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 13:32   #15
BHPian

Re: Which car is a head-turner on Indian roads?

How about this for attention?

I and my friend drove to Kodaikanal on his BMW X3. After some spirited drive and relaxed cruise on the highways we started our ascend on the ghats. As we progressed we got caught up behind a KL registered bus which was on a College tour from Kerala. There was hardly any traffic and it was just us and the bus. We were just moving ahead with some occasional honks to overtake. The roads being very narrow we were in no hurry and were trudging behind the bus. Just then, we started seeing a couple of heads popping out from the last rows of the bus and started looking at us. Again we didn't bother and continued behind munching some edibles. Slowly the number of heads that started popping out increased, a number of boys and girls in the bus were out almost hanging in the windows.

What with a White BMW X3 with the corona rings on, sunroof open, nice music playing, and two college going looking guys in the car, and with the splendid BMW horn making music in the mountains.

In some time almost all of the windows in the bus were filled with boys and girls popping out to enjoy the whole magic that was happening behind. We started enjoying the whole thing too, but we are used to a lot of attention since college days and this didn't excite us too much but we were aware of how the students in the bus would feel, we smiled and continued our relaxed driving.

After some time, we got a broad flat stretch on the ghat and it was time to overtake. Since it was ghat roads, the bus was moving slowly. We went parallel to the bus, slowed down a bit, stonked the accelerator and took off. There was a huge cheer and hand waves from the college kids, since it was hills with no other vehicles around, the noise was amplified and the whole atmosphere became electric. I think a lot of those kids would have spoken about it for a long time.

The whole experience was something pleasant to remember.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 30th September 2016 at 13:48.
CliffHanger is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks