Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2017, 10:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Fuel pumps in 8 states to remain closed on Sundays from May 14!!!

Wait, how has Haryana joined the ranks of these other states mentioned here? How are they related? Is Haryana a long lost cousin that we don't know about? :P
Anyway, I can't wait to reach that tipping point for fuel stations where the demand starts to flatline, and then taper off. It is an incredibly archaic way of doing things. Fuel should be coming to our homes like gas and electricity, out of a tap and straight in our vehicles, with a meter and everything.

Fuel stations are a waste of space. They should be operated like ATM kiosks. More efficient, practical, honest, and convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Foreseeing the after effects of this
1. Melas and Queues will start to appear in Fuel Stations right from Saturday evening 5 PM and Monday morning
I doubt it is going to come to any of that. It might happen on the first couple of Saturdays and Mondays, but usually pumps are mostly unattended on Sundays already, and there are enough of them around to handle a few extra fill ups to make up for a slow closed day.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 10:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
That is a rather bizarre way to look at the issue .

Akin to: The PM talks about problems with overpopulation. I take out a gun and go shoot everyone who has crossed my path and then say "the PM has endorsed this."

I have not seen a news report wherein the government or the PM has given a call or endorsed the move by the dealers to close their pumps on Sundays. Even your quoted report states nothing of that sort.
Couldn't agree more. Nonetheless the overzealous media is always there to confuse and scare the masses.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 10:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: Fuel stations in 8 states to be shut on Sundays. EDIT: Cancelled

Simple solution to all this mess is to allow self service pumps like it is the world over.

There is no need of these hoards of pump attendants that do no useful work and rather cheat people on quantity. We can put the nozzle in the tank ourselves.

If they get rid of these extra mouths to feed, they'll see an improvement in their margins automatically.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

The closure is ONLY for all southern states and Maharashtra which adjoins Karnataka. The only north India state is Haryana!! Why is the closure not affected anywhere else in North India?
Old 19th April 2017, 11:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

I foresee a scenario where the fuel stations will ask their staff to stretch till midnight on Saturday, it will affect business on highways which are dependent on the weekend rush. Our PM has been talking too much unlike his anterior, so trying to find whether he endorsed this move or not will be difficult. The PM should rather concentrate on building rail networks and reduce the number of heavy vehicles on road to conserve fuel.

Last edited by deehunk : 19th April 2017 at 11:11. Reason: add info
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Read this in today's newspaper. Given the various rules-sans-logic that we have been seeing recently, like the no-bars-in-500ms-from-highways rule, am not at all surprised.

Fuel savings can be done by avoiding wastage, enabling car-pooling, conscious limiting of wasteful runs etc, not by shutting down gas-stations on Sundays.
Oh, and by limiting the number of cars in the convoys of politicians.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th April 2017 at 11:10.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Will all fuel bunks in these 8 states be closed on Sundays ?

What about highway bunks , will they be closed too ? I guess those doing long drives will have to take Jerry cans with them !

What about transport trucks , won't they be delayed by this closure ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 19th April 2017 at 11:24.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:09   #38
BHPian

If this gets implemented, a lot of vehicles are going to to carry fuel cans with additional fuel in their boot/wherever. A dangerous risk that will be forced upon.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:15   #39
BHPian

I wouldn't be too concerned here, once the magic number of 3.33 and 2.16 (or close enough) is agreed upon the "PM's Vision" will be forgotten. This planned closure was reported as a "threat" by the outlets last week, now it is in support to a "vision". This is more of a media manipulation.

Why no talk about the the 6:00 PM to 9:00 AM daily shut down that was part of the original plan? http://profit.ndtv.com/news/economy/...r-days-1679846
sun_king is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The closure is ONLY for all southern states and Maharashtra which adjoins Karnataka. The only north India state is Haryana!! Why is the closure not affected anywhere else in North India?
Who knows, some strategist would have come up with a data that all vehicles in exempted states travel to South India/Maharashtra on weekends and halt for a day,
Old 19th April 2017, 11:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned here, once the magic number of 3.33 and 2.16 (or close enough) is agreed upon the "PM's Vision" will be forgotten. This planned closure was reported as a "threat" by the outlets last week, now it is in support to a "vision". This is more of a media manipulation.

Why no talk about the the 6:00 PM to 9:00 AM daily shut down that was part of the original plan? http://profit.ndtv.com/news/economy/...r-days-1679846
What's unsettling is that people are conveniently diverting the issue of greed of dealers and their pressure tactics to the call for conserving resources by PM. This Sunday closed is pure ploy to arm-twist OMCs into paying more commission.

Worse is that everyone is even buying into the argument that Government has decided to shut down pumps on Sundays.

By the way, since petroleum products are covered under Essential Commodities Act, is it even possible for dealers to shut down pumps, even if for a day, essentially bringing everything to a grinding halt?
ksameer1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:44   #42
BHPian

Points to Ponder

1. This is a proposal by Petrol Pump Associations.
2. The proposal will go to Petroleum Minister for Approval. So wait for few more days before putting blame on the PM.
3. Since Petroleum usually is considered as part of "essential commodities act", this is going to be a tricky situation for Government.
4. Pure Arm-twisting by the Association. Am sure if their commission is increased, they will take back this decision.
5. Nothing to do with what PM mentioned couple of days back regarding fuel consumption and conservation.
6. When we are moving towards a 24*7 market, this is indeed taking a step back and ridiculous.

There have been numerous stories about how the petrol pump owners are struggling to meet ends. While my sympathies are with them, I always think how difficult it is to get a license for running one pump. From what I know it usually takes truck loads of money and good influence to get one. Can someone please put a better picture if my understanding is not correct?
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 11:51   #43
BHPian

So, to conserve resources, we get tiny 1.2L cars with tiny fuel tanks that can hardly hold 35 liters of petrol. I wouldn't be able to make a 600km round-trip on Sunday, even if I tanked up on Saturday.

And, how about leading by example? Shouldn't the PM reduce his fuel consumption by reducing token overseas trips?
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Thanks moderator for merging the thread with the previously existing one. Actually posted the thread after reading the news in the morning without checking whether a similar thread existed or not. Apologies for the same

Today's news report from a leading English daily:
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nat...14/394112.html

Regards

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 19th April 2017 at 12:05.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
Today's news report from a leading English daily:
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nat...14/394112.html

Regards
Quote:
Beginning May 14, fuel outlets in eight states, including Haryana, will be shut every Sunday following Prime Minister Narendra Modi's call to conserve oil, a fuel pump owners' body said here today.
This is plain shameful, both on the part of such spokespersons as well as media for twisting facts. If and when commissions are increased and association withdraws this shutdown call, will they them come out and admit that greed for money has again put their recently-awaken conscience back to sleep?
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks