Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2007, 11:29   #61
Team-BHP Support

In the fast few months I have read many reports where comsumer courts have pulled up companies.
In a recent incident a guy was sold an elantra with repaired rear door. The court refused to listen to claim of the workshop that the door got damaged after delivery since they did not have any proof of that. As a result he got 8L+ compensation.
I suggest you keep records, click photographs and then go to consumer court. It will take around 6-8 months, but in the end there is a good chance that you win.
In this case its clear that the workshop has compromised on quality and not given you the service you deserved.
Old 4th January 2007, 12:13   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The finish was very shoddy. The paining was not at all smooth and was rough particularly near the corners of the boot door (near the rear windshield), bumper corners near the tail light
Small dots on the bumper, bonnet near the lights that indicated missing paint mostly due to rough use of tools and scratching the surface.
Document/ photograph this and put it in writing to both insurer and MPL
Quote:
The bill was Rs.32k for me out of which Rs.7800 was for consumables that I didnt have any way to verify. Sometime later after I take the car out I shall scan and post the bill out here for everyone's reference.
That sounds way too high. The insurers must have grabbed them for labour costs. Is it itemised?

Quote:
One tire was damaged and it was replaced for which I have to pay 5% for the alloy wheels and 50% for the tire as such. Suddenly after the test drive they said another tire has got a puncture too and insisted that that is a old puncture.
Am sure the insurers have a pic straight after the accident!

Quote:
Lot of arguments going on, I have talked to the customer relationship branch as well. Now they have agreed to 12 issues that I found out yesterday like uneven paint, damage to paint, big gaps between bumper and lights, damage to upholstery.
It is documented, I hope

Quote:
They even have replaced the steering wheel saying it has become little bit out of shape (into oval) because of the impact which i couldnt really figure out how can happen. I am yet to see the out of shape wheel.
If the insurers have agreed, then no probs. Seatbelts save steering whels as well as lives

Quote:
Initial estimate was Rs.99k for parts Rs.91k for labor. No the total bill is Rs.1.4L out of which I have to pay Rs.32k.

What caused the difference ?
Old 4th January 2007, 12:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

do you have any proof of the initial labour cost of 91 k coming down to 32k ? like ajmat has said, please go armed with a camera & click all that you can, inside, outside, all sides. anything will be useful in a court room.
Old 4th January 2007, 14:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
do you have any proof of the initial labour cost of 91 k coming down to 32k ?
I saw the document, calculations hand written and the final bill. As I didnt take delivery I didnt collect those documents. But I shall do definitely.

Unfortumtely I didnt take my camera yesterday otherwise I could have taken snaps of all the flaws. But that is documented by the service advisor himself in the job card. I shall get a copy of that too.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:11   #65
BHPian

See that is what happened In my accident Too.. The accidet was on 28th Oct.., But on the bangalore side,... Nearby hosur... The initail estimate was 85K..60K for parts and 25K for loabour.. it was negotaated and came dowm to 50K parts and 13K labour.. When asked The workshop guy told.. they always overquote the labour because the insurance will bring it down...
Old 5th January 2007, 00:18   #66
BHPian

One more question I have. Do these ford guys return the removed/fixed parts of the vehicle?

When I used to service my santro any part that is replaced will be returned back in a box (so that they dont do any malpractice of using the broken spare in another car).

But may be this is true in when it the part is small (bulbs, wiper blades, tail lamp etc). Not sure. Any inputs on this?
Old 5th January 2007, 00:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
One more question I have. Do these ford guys return the removed/fixed parts of the vehicle?

When I used to service my santro any part that is replaced will be returned back in a box (so that they dont do any malpractice of using the broken spare in another car).

But may be this is true in when it the part is small (bulbs, wiper blades, tail lamp etc). Not sure. Any inputs on this?
They are supposed to return all parts they replace during both normal service & accidental repair jobs. Hell if you even want the old engine oil from your car, all you have to do is inform the advisor & provide him an empty can which he'll fill with your old engine oil & return to you.

Do not trust the workshop on this & insist on getting every part replaced to be returned to you. Once they give you the parts please cross-check with the bill to make sure all parts mentioned in the bill have been given to you.

In all accident repair jobs I've had done from Hyundai, Honda, Maruti etc. I have always been returned parts which were replaced big or small. The list includes Bonnet, Fender, Lights, Radiator, Condensor, Compressor, Suspension components, Axles etc. Only part they don't return are the windshield & glasses. I should also mention here that with some Insurance companies (generally the nationalised ones) the parts have to be returned as salvage to claim the insurance amount.

Last edited by iraghava : 5th January 2007 at 00:37.
Old 5th January 2007, 02:44   #68
BHPian

Apologies for digressing from the recent posts on A.S.S. (I too have a tale to tell about Ford A.S.S. after my Ikon drowned in the Mumbai Flood in 2005, but I dont like to relive that).

One suggestion for whenever you overtake (from the right or even the left, if necessary)... HORN and FLASH YOUR LIGHTS like a madman before you go past.

For a lot of fools on the road this seems to be the only way of making your intentions absolutely clear.
Old 6th January 2007, 13:11   #69
BHPian

Today I am going to collect the car. I shall take pictures of all sides and some closeups if there are any issues. And I would also get a copy of all papers they have.

Today the Service guy called me and told the total bill is Rs.37500. Earlier it was Rs.32500 (that is already higher than the estimated amount). I was very much pissed off and shouted at him. First he told ICICI is not giving money for some "gearbox bearing" which is a consumable. I had an argument with him why it was not decided earlier.

Then after sometime he calls me and says that amount is for "salvage of removed metal parts" which i didnt understand a bit. He says now I need not pay that extra amount and he will take care of it.

Rip off these guys are! What would you advice folks, shall i take the car out or just hang on and wait to get these things sorted out?
Old 6th January 2007, 13:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rip off these guys are! What would you advice folks, shall i take the car out or just hang on and wait to get these things sorted out?
Sort out ALL issues before taking your car out of the garage. Once it's out they will give a 100 new excuses. It's better to sort out everything before taking delivery of the car.
Old 6th January 2007, 16:54   #71
BHPian

Don't take delivery of the car until you are completely satisfied. You will have to sign a slip stating that you have taken delivery of the car and that the work has been completed to your satisfaction. Until then, MPL will not get a single pie from the insurance company. It is true that they inflate the estimate to the insurance company and according to me the amount you have to shell out from your pocket is a bit too much even after accounting for depreciation of parts. Put your foot down and bargain hard and only then pay up and sign the delivery slip.
Old 9th January 2007, 12:41   #72
BHPian

Have taken delivery of the car during the week end. I shall post a detailed note on that with scanned documents in few days time.

Meanwhile I notice a difference in the characteristics of the engine. Usually in 5th gear 100 kmph comes up at 3000 RPM (before the incident). A nice BOOM sound comes when the RPM reaches 3000.

Now the BOOM sound has disappeared or is not at all noticeable. And 100 comes up at 2500 RPM and at 3000 RPM 120 comes up. Is it possible for the same engine to reach same speed at different RPM? Is this a reason to worry? What could be wrong? I feel that the pick up is not as it used to be before. There are gear slips now and then that I understand is because of change in the gear box components and will take sometime to be come normal. Am I right?

Any one who owns a fiesta 1.6 has noted any difference in your car compared to what I have mentioned here?

Last edited by LandCruiser : 9th January 2007 at 12:45.
Old 12th January 2007, 11:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile I notice a difference in the characteristics of the engine. Usually in 5th gear 100 kmph comes up at 3000 RPM (before the incident). A nice BOOM sound comes when the RPM reaches 3000.

Now the BOOM sound has disappeared or is not at all noticeable. And 100 comes up at 2500 RPM and at 3000 RPM 120 comes up.
Quote:
Any one who owns a fiesta 1.6 has noted any difference in your car compared to what I have mentioned here?
LC, I know you've been anxiously waiting for feedback on this so here goes......I brought the Fiesta to work this morning (Safari gone for repair) and there was a very short stretch on MG road where I manged to cross 100kmph for about 15-20 seconds - and YES, 100 kmph in 5th gear came at close to 3000 rpm (between 2750 & 3000 so I would say approx 2900).

I will try on longer & better stretches over the weekend but I think it would be the same. So looks like something has changed in yours.......

EDIT: 777th post, nice number!

Last edited by suman : 12th January 2007 at 11:41.
Old 12th January 2007, 21:43   #74
Team-BHP Support

either its me or in the first pic your doing about 105kmph when your car is at 3000k. and in the second one your doing just above 90kmph... i guess if you go to 105 the engine will be at 3k rpm.
Old 12th January 2007, 22:25   #75
BHPian

akshay read the dials correctly what landcruiser said is correct,will check this with my car and let u know the results landcruiser

Last edited by yogi1771 : 12th January 2007 at 22:28.

Most Viewed