Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 15:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours

NHAI has released a video of the construction progress of Delhi - Mumbai Expressway

avishar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 22:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

NHAI is doing a great job releasing some in-progress drone shots. Near Bharuch both the Dedicated Freight Corridor and the Expressway are being built simultaneous beside each other.

This is the Madhya Pradesh section

avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Delhi-Mumbai Expressway by Nitin Gadkari

Old 25th March 2021, 10:01   #19
BHPian

The Mumbai - Delhi Expressway is slated to be completed in a year from now, quotes Mr. Nitin Gadkari -

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...581331105.html

Anyone having any idea on the progress of the expressway?

Also, the Delhi - Meerut Expressway shall see daylight in 2 months from now.
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/gov...i-3570110.html

These news, though too good to be true, should revolutionize the way highways and expressways are perceived in India.
Old 2nd May 2021, 00:21   #20
Team-BHP Support

Here is a video on making highways

In the end there is a mention of the expressway. If the RJ/MP section comes clean we might see this work coming faster. But of course economic drain and health risk of the population thanks to the pandemic will keep it delayed.

None the less a great effort!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 08:06   #21
BHPian

Intriguing that there are no plans of constructing such expressways in the southern state. Is it because it does not make business sense or there is just no will?
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Intriguing that there are no plans of constructing such expressways in the southern state. Is it because it does not make business sense or there is just no will?
There are elaborate nationwide plans as part of Bharatmala, see:

https://twitter.com/811GK/status/137...450891777?s=19

But it's also true that some southern states see mindless and unfounded opposition to such projects, such as the Chennai - Salem Expwy; see:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...post-172748941

So Nitin Gadkari has taken the approach to go ahead with whatever he can.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
If you see today south of Salem there is hardly any traffic on the regular N-S Corridor. The regular 4-Lane NH7 it self good (Anyway thats my understanding).

Chennai-Trichy the other leg of the southern trunk is a bit more heavy. But beyond Trichy the traffic thins out.

Unless and until there is a strong economic need, dont know if there is a acute requirement of an express-way. But yes Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem is an important section and that definitely requires an upgrade.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2021 at 11:25.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:47   #24
BHPian

In some ways, India is going through the moments mentioned in the above song, what with Gadkari's slew of hwy 6-lanings (often including straightening/realignments and town bypasses) and expwy constructions. Had to happen some time I guess.

Lovely movie this, Cars
vharihar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 08:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
https://Youtu.be/hTKb97SrqyE

In some ways, India is going through the moments mentioned in the above song, what with Gadkari's slew of hwy 6-lanings (often including straightening/realignments and town bypasses) and expwy constructions. Had to happen some time I guess.

Lovely movie this, Cars
By the above post, I just wanted to highlight the fact that straightening alignments, cutting through challenging land topographies and taking some environmental hit in the process, and bypassing towns, all when in the process of building good highways, is inevitable in the interest of travel efficiency. Happens in all countries (which we often appreciate when we visit those countries).

As regards impact on the local economy of the bypassed towns, as many have opined elsewhere I too feel that it's unlikely the bypassed towns in India will see any significant collapse of business. We have enough population density in India (more than 10 times that of the USA) and inter-village/inter-town travel. A few Dhabas/petrol stations will see less business, fewer still may close; but the entire village economy will never collapse.

Last edited by vharihar : 7th June 2021 at 08:07.
vharihar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 19:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-20210720_195953.jpg

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-20210720_195949.jpg

Source: Twitter.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:05   #27
BHPian

The Union Minister of Road transport and Highways inspected the ongoing Delhi Mumbai Expressway’s progress.

sahil624 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:29   #28
BHPian

In keeping with the wishes of several members of Team- bhp on the thread about the Madras Court's ruling on 120 kph speed limits , I request the GoI to restrict the speed on this road to 80 kph.

The worthies have taken the time to point out how we are a country of stray dogs, incorrectly issued driving licenses, small cars with puny engines and sloppy brakes, wrong way traffic and jaywalkers.
I hope the GoI is listening to this brains trust or do the Courts have to intervene.
Old 17th September 2021, 20:37   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post

The Union Minister of Road transport and Highways inspected the ongoing Delhi Mumbai Expressway’s progress.
The Minister apart from doing an aerial survey has also travelled at 170 kmph today, on a stretch of this road to test the expressway's capabilities. It is expected to be completed by March 2023.

Details :-

https://inshorts.com/m/en/amp_news/g...ource=inshorts
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:07   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is a video of the Transport Minister taking a test drive on a completed section of the Mumbai-Delhi expressway in a Kia Carnival at speeds reaching upto 170kmph. Do note that this is a closed section of the yet to be opened expressway so it is not illegal in any sense.

A few takeaways from the video:

1.) The expressway is VERY wide. I mean I knew that it was supposed to be 8 laned (4 lanes in each direction) but the RoW of 100m looks very big in the video. I don't think any such wide (and long) road exists in India yet (the Hyderabad ORR seems to be as wide but is way shorter).

2.) The Minister is talking about the possibility of landing small military aircrafts on the expressway. The contractor (or some employee of the contractor presumably) says that they would have to remove the crash barrier (I think he meant the median crash guards) for larger aircrafts.

3.) I don't if it is due to the superior suspension of the Carnival but 170kmph seems to be nothing on the road. With 100s of kilometers of straight stretches on this expressway, I think this will be the new safe haven for the top speed testers of the general public. Hope that the NHAI has made ample provisions for speed monitoring and enforcement facilities along this expressway.

P.S: Is it just me or does the left most lane narrower than the other lanes? Is it an optical illusion due to the wide angle lens coupled with the width of the expressway?

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 20th September 2021 at 15:11.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks