Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2021, 02:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?

Today, my driver and family members were travelling from Pune to Mumbai. Towards the end of the expressway, there was a truck in the 3rd lane, and a Tata Sumo in the 2nd lane, both of which were going quite slow. The first lane being clear and no incoming traffic from the back, my driver overtook the Sumo using the first lane, at a speed of around 90 km/hr (certainly less than 100, because the speed chime did not go off). As soon as he passed the sumo, my driver noticed that it was a police vehicle, and the officials inside were clicking pictures of my car. They issued a challan for "Lane Cutting" simply because my driver overtook their car.

What are my options, given the current situation, to dispute the challan? The amount isn't much, Rs 200, but I just can't let this slide, as it seems to be a blatant attempt at looting motorists.

Attaching the picture attached with the challan. I've seen spy pics on here which are better clicked and look more purposeful than this "evidence".
Attached Thumbnails
Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?-picsart_020401.55.57.jpg  

CapKoura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 20:29   #32
BHPian

I've got ticketed for riding my bike without helmet on the 13th. Funny thing is I was driving to Kerala when this supposed infraction took place. The bike has been parked and covered and nobody has taken it out. On top of that I never leave home without helmet, jacket and gloves.

I've the fasttag messages and hotel booking receipts and credit card charges to prove that I was not in Bangalore at the time. It's a fine of 500 and yes, it is a bit 'princely' for someone on a teacher's salary.

Members, Is there a portal on which to dispute this challan in Bangalore? Or any other method?
Old 19th February 2021, 22:20   #33
BHPian

I had a similar experience in Mumbai ( I was in Punjab for past 6 months, along with my bike, the challan was issued in Mumbai). I wrote a mail to them, in which I attached proofs that how I wasn't in Mumbai. They'll ask a copy for the RC. Also please check if an image is included along with the challan. It happened in my case, and that was quite helpful in proving my innocence. The mail was transferred to the respective sub police station circle, beyond which there hasn't been any action. This incident happened 5 months ago, and till date there hasn't been any issue yet. The challan hasn't been closed officially, but it also doesn't show on mParivahan

Edit - I didn't pay the challan amount.

Last edited by lancia_fanboy : 19th February 2021 at 22:23.
Old 10th March 2021, 21:50   #34
BHPian

When I tried to remove Hypothecation for my car RC, it was not approved due to a pending challan and the officer at RTO asked me to clear the challan by paying online. So, I logged into http://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/ website and searched with my car number and found a challan.

Guess what is the offence - Pillion Rider riding in a motor cycle without a protective headgear (helmet)

Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?-traffice_challan_receipt.jpg

And that too in a place (Avadi traffic circle) where I have never been yet and it was on 28-Jul-2019, a Sunday. Curiously, checked my Google Maps history and found that I was just sitting in my home the whole day.

Could be a case of erring motorist providing a wrong number, or could be a case of the cops involuntarily writing the wrong number or could be a plain case of month-end target achievement

Anyways, since the amount is relatively insignificant (INR 100/-), paid the amount via online and downloaded the receipt and submitted to RTO, to proceed with the approval of my application for Hypothecation removal.
Old 12th March 2021, 17:50   #35
BHPian

I was challaned for Lane cutting Rs 200 + Police disobedience Rs 500 as per attached picture.
I agreed to the lane cutting fine ( driver changing lane by giving a signal as per my last minute instructions), however was trying to contest the police disobedience fine. I wrote to the Mumbai Traffic Police email stating that I couldn't have run away if someone was trying to stop me in such heavy traffic( to my knowledge nothing like that happened and the offense is of 2019, so no dashcam record) but to no avail.All they wrote back is that the fine is correct as on-duty police has captured the image and reported.
Paid it after a few emails to & from, but there has to be some listed mechanism to appeal such challans.

Apart from above, I also have a wrong side driving challan for Rs 1000 pending from New Mumbai police during lockdown. The photo shows my car standing on the road with door open ( the driver had stopped for tea in those lockdown days when everything was closed) and road works going on, due to which 1 side of the road was shut for vehicles. I haven't heard back from them but I am pleading 'usage of vehicle for essential services' to waive the challan.
Attached Thumbnails
Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?-mumcm19008325540_1.jpg  

Old 12th March 2021, 18:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have been challaned for No parking on 10th February 2021 on Tilak Road. However I was in the car and i was looking for a space to park. Despite i am in the car, the police clicked the photo and fined me. There was no 'No parking' board and i was on the P2 side of the the road. And in the photo Only the number plate is visible. No car, or place or me sitting in the car is visible. And also the photo uploaded by them as a proof is a photo of a mobile phone screen. I emailed to pune cctv traffic police and and even after a month they are still checking with the concern department and no update yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?-img_20210312_180146.jpg  

Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?-img_20210312_180302.jpg  

Old 16th March 2021, 12:18   #37
BHPian

With fines getting arbitrary as in above posts, does anyone with knowledge of MV Act know, if the onus is on the department to prove the offense ( if challenged) or it lies with us to prove otherwise. Like other laws, I feel it will be on the department.
Although the amounts are petty( considering legal costs and time of challenging it), till a lot of people challenge in higher courts and the police don't provide video footage to prove the offenses, this will continue.
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:18   #38
BHPian

Hello All,

after a really really long time, I am finally again active on this forum! I need some help this time around!

My car was issued an e-challan in Mumbai around the Dadar/Plaza area, for "unsafe/ dangerous transportation of goods".

The images uploaded are that of a truck and the number plate has a difference of one digit. Mine is MH43xx while that of the truck is MH46xx. ( images are of the truck and they clearly show the MH46 number plate, only thing is it has been issued against my car)

If anybody can point to any kind of resources which would help me clarify this error, it'll be really appreciated!

Thank You!
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:34   #39
BHPian

Hi,
Today I received a Challan for Speed Violation dated 11.06.21.

According to the Google Maps Timeline history, I did travel that route on NH4 that day.
There might not be any sign board observed on the roadside, but I'm not sure on that.

However, what I feel doubtful in the Challan is that the Speed limit mentioned therein is 95 kmph and I was driving at 100 kmph.
Refer to the Pic attached.

We often observe Sign boards for Speed limit of 80/100 kmph, but not of 95 kmph, I guess.
So, my simple query is, whether there has been any Speed Limit of 95 kmph for any stretch on NH4 or also anywhere else?
Attached Thumbnails
Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?-screenshot_20210923065032__01__01.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 23rd September 2021 at 19:02.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi,
Today I received a Challan for Speed Violation dated 11.06.21.

According to the Google Maps Timeline history, I did travel that route on NH4 that day.
There might not be any sign board observed on the roadside, but I'm not sure.

However, what I feel doubtful in the Challan is that the Speed limit mentioned therein is 95 kmph and I was driving at 100 kmph.
Refer to the Pic attached.

We often observe Sign boards for Speed limit of 80/100 kmph, but not of 95 kmph, I guess.
So, my simple query is, whether there has been any Speed Limit of 95 kmph for any stretch on NH4 or also anywhere else?

Can't answer the question you have as I don't know anything about that region, but there's an interesting point:

In Delhi, deviations of upto 5% from the sped limit are permissible. Check if there's a similar rule in your state (ideally, there should be).

If that's the case, 5% of 95 = 4.75. I don't see any issue rounding it upto 5 (because a difference of 0.25kmph makes a difference, really?). That means 100 is just at the edge of the speed limit, and you should be able to contest it.

The struggle of contesting it is a different thing, but if you're willing to, this angle might also be useful.

Hope this helps.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
In Delhi, deviations of upto 5% from the sped limit are permissible. Check if there's a similar rule in your state (ideally, there should be).

The struggle of contesting it is a different thing, but if you're willing to, this angle might also be useful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the prompt reply,

In fact, I've been given an option either to pay the amount online/ at the nearest traffic controller or to attend hearing at Lok Adalat on 25th Sept.

I'll probably go for the second option just to have an experience to defend our own right.

In view of the provision of 5% deviation permissible in the Speed limit, the challan would probably be quashed by default.

Thanks again for the valid point added for defense..
Old 26th September 2021, 00:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
In fact, I've been given an option either to pay the amount online/ at the nearest traffic controller or to attend hearing at Lok Adalat on 25th Sept.

I'll probably go for the second option just to have an experience to defend our own right.
Today visited the Court to face the proceeding, well prepared with a neatly drafted submission.
To my surprise, no any arrangements were available there to conduct any hearing on the matter/s.
Nevertheless a team of traffic officers was ready to facilitate collection and further issue receipts to the 'so called' defaulters under Motor Vehicle Act. However, none of them showed any interest to acknowledge my written submission saying, they were just supposed to collect the money and not any documentation.

Btw, there have been as many as 10L notices issued to the vehicle owners under various charges of traffic rules violation by MH police. Not sure, how many of them were lucky enough to have sought any justice at the National Lok Adalat organised today.

Finally, left the premises without paying any amount and have decided now to send my reply to SP office by RPAD.

Thanks,

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 26th September 2021 at 00:31. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 04:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure about your area, but speed limits are generally in multiples of 10km/h.

Just playing the devil's advocate here: What if the speed limit is 90 km/h and the officer has set the camera to 95 km/h to give drivers the 5km/h buffer?

If not, it is a money grabbing exercise.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 09:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
In Delhi, deviations of upto 5% from the sped limit are permissible...
If that's the case, 5% of 95 = 4.75..
Quote:
...Challan for Speed Violation...route on NH4... therein is 95 kmph and I was driving at 100 kmph...
5% allowance is correct even in MH. In some sections of NH4 (Mumbai - Bangalore), speed limit is 90k/h. 5% of that is about 95k/h (rounded up). Speed challan already considers and mentions that allowance before generating a ticket. So at 100k/h you were infact more than 10% beyond approved speed limit (90 k/h).

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
In some sections of NH4 (Mumbai - Bangalore), speed limit is 90k/h. 5% of that is about 95k/h (rounded up).
Thanks bj,
Imo, 90 kmph speed limit on any highways shouldn't be practically accepted. Anyhow the traffic can't move fast due to the poor road conditions. In addition, there are long queues at toll booths present just to delay your journey.

Have little bit of relief from all such obstacles and if you press the gas pedal, Speed cams are there waiting to surprise you anytime.

Considering all the ifs & buts plus the current MH govt policy, the entire recent excercise to serve 10L notices to vehicle owners by MH police department, seems fishy.

The govt seems to have clear intentions to make some quick money, if the facts are not otherwise.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed