Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Shell pump fraud alert - Misleadingly showing low engine oil level

Shell fraud alert:
Pump said to my wife that the car is really hot and the car engine oil is very low and they'll replace it for free in 15 mins - she just needs to pay for the oil (5k)
They even showed her the dipstick and the oil did look alarmingly low

Thankfully she got worried that it may be a major crankcase issue (as oil won't fall that low without a leakage issue) and decided she'll pass on the car to the service center tomorrow despite the pump staff insisting that she risks ruining the engine.

When she reached home, I checked the coolant temperature reading with an OBD sensor (and on a separate note, everyone should get one of these cheap doohickeys) and the temperature was only 89C after a 30km run.
When I checked the dipstick, the oil level was absolutely fine.
These buggers did a sleight of hand and didn't push the dipstick all the way in to make it appear to her that oil is low.

Not sure if there is anything I can do but still wanted to share the experience in case it helps someone avoid this scam.
abhi182 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 06:14   #2
BHPian

re: Shell pump fraud alert - Misleadingly showing low engine oil level

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Shell fraud alert:
Pump said to my wife that the car is really hot and the car engine oil is very low and they'll replace it for free in 15 mins - she just needs to pay for the oil (5k)

Not sure if there is anything I can do but still wanted to share the experience in case it helps someone avoid this scam.
I was told the same thing except the hot part. I said I will get it done in the service center & took off. Looks like, employees have been given some targets or incentives to sell oil. This was Shell pump on highway when we go towards express way from Hinjewadi bridge.
Engine_Roars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 07:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This is common with other operators as well (in one way or the other)

Best is to avoid any service (windshield wipe, product or service marketing) during a refill. These people divert our attention and take it for granted in all sorts of frauds (primary being play with the quantity)
Mr.Boss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 07:45   #4
BHPian

This is a common scam across many petrol pumps in the country.

However, you think you've avoided it, but the fraud might have already taken place. While they were diverting your wife's attention towards the engine oil, the employee filling petrol/diesel might have filled a lesser quantity than what was ordered, since your wife was distracted. Of course, in modern cars it's pretty easy to detect since you can just check the DTE on the instrumentation console.

Selling engine oil/coolant/windshield washer fluid is secondary; even they expect the customer to say no. Their main objective is to divert your attention so they can skimp on the amount of fuel filled.

Edit: In the 15 minutes that I took to put out a carefully-worded post, Mr. Boss in the post above has already spoken about what I'm trying to say. Apologies

Last edited by boniver : 20th May 2019 at 07:49.
boniver is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 08:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

My friend ran across the exact same thing when filling his gt tdi at a pump near Koramangala some months back. Shell should stop ripping customers off like this.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 10:03   #6
BHPian

This fraud is common at ALL pumps, even COCO pumps (Company Owned Company Operated). Ask the driver to pop the hood and then point to some fluid being low. 9/10 customers would blindly believe the 'expert'.

My wife usually goes to the COCO in Kandivali, Mumbai, this one time she popped the hood when the attendant asked her to. She was promptly told that the coolant is low. Good sense prevailed and she told him to do nothing.

I suspect the primary driver would be higher ups pushing sales of coolants, engine oils etc. especially at COCO pumps, the others, they may be just drawing your attention away from the fuel filling.

The problem for these stations is that nothing much goes wrong with these modern cars unless there is a serious maintenance issue. even that comes with one of the warning lights flashing long before anything breaks.

As a golden rule, never pop the hood at the filling station. they are meant only for filling fuel.
varunsangal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 11:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not sure why'd anyone let these guys check oil levels etc. When you are at the pump, just get the fuel part done, along with tyre pressure. And if someone goes to Shell, I assume they can afford the more expensive fuel (and is a car aficionado) and hence will also get all services done on time.

On another note, extremely unhappy its happening at Shell (also). I always had a lot of regards for the brand as they have quality fuel and the way a customer is treated etc. This is so undone. Hope all of you who have had such issues write an email to Shell and inform about this. Now you have a thread to point out to, as well.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th May 2019 at 11:56.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 12:10   #8
BHPian

This is why I mostly never go for wiper fluid check/oil check etc. at petrol pumps. I prefer doing that myself, and if the oil is low, I prefer the VW Service Center (which is brilliant in Pune). I had an annoying nuisance case of the Shell folks (on the highway towards expressway) always refusing normal fuel & forcing V Power. No amount of insistence worked, so I lodged a complaint on their website along with the bill. They have never forced V Power since then on me , unless they were genuinely out of supply of normal fuel.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 15:11   #9
BHPian

I never give access to Petrol pump attendants to my hood.
However wifey made an exception this one time as she was out of wiper wash fluid and thought it would be a time saver for her.

Apparently these guys were quite convincing because when they detected doubt in her voice, they actually wiped the dipstick, pushed it back in and then showed her the oil level being below the minimum marker
Obviously they would not have pushed the dipstick in fully but quite a convincing sleight of hand nonetheless
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 16:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Shell fraud alert:

Thankfully she got worried that it may be a major crankcase issue (as oil won't fall that low without a leakage issue) and decided she'll pass on the car to the service center tomorrow despite the pump staff insisting that she risks ruining the engine.

When she reached home, I checked the coolant temperature reading with an OBD sensor (and on a separate note, everyone should get one of these cheap doohickeys) and the temperature was only 89C after a 30km run.
When I checked the dipstick, the oil level was absolutely fine.
These buggers did a sleight of hand and didn't push the dipstick all the way in to make it appear to her that oil is low.

Glad to have brought this to our attention. I anyways ensure to not carry out any top up or refills of any fluids at petrol pumps, aside from the scams, the cost of these fluids are way above the price available in auto part shops.

On a another note, since you mentioned an OBD sensor, can you help me with information as to where I could get one and usual cost for a basic one, nothing too high tech.
Akshay.Hemmady is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 22:59   #11
BHPian

I fill my petrol in the Shell station within Hinjewadi Phase 1. Whenever they say that they will do a free engine oil check, I tell them that I have just serviced my car and don't need it. That stops them from any further insistence.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 05:04   #12
BHPian

It happens with every brand and is dealer specific. May be not fair to corner just the Shell. May be this is getting attention because it is Shell.

Quality of Shell fuel: myth or real ? would appreciate if anyone can bring established data to substantiate a popular opinion that the fuel from Shell pump is superior. I work in petrochemical field, Shell is one of the biggest refiners in the world but they have no refineries in India. They buy from local refiners and retail out. What we fill is the same fuel from BP, HP, Reliance or IO with slightly different additives and extra margin for Shell.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 21st May 2019 at 05:10.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 08:21   #13
BHPian

Re: Shell pump fraud alert - Misleadingly showing low engine oil level

Quote:
Shell fraud alert:
One thing I find surprising is why do we even let them do things like access the engine bay area by opening the bonnet for them.

Simply not letting them fidget with these things will ensure they can't pull a fast one. I just make it a point to tank up, pay the bill and get the heck out of there. No fuss, no mess.

Things like engine oil levels, coolant, other engine bay fluids etc are simply my responsibility, and not the petrol bunk attendants.
Parth46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 09:52   #14
BHPian

For a dip stick to show the correct oil level, the engine has to be switched off for a few minutes. For an engine that has just been switched off, the dip stick will anyway indicate a low oil level.

These folks must be taking advantage of this fact and may be trying to make a quick buck. As most members have already suggested, just stick to refueling and at the most tyre pressure check at fuel stations.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:44   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
As a golden rule, never pop the hood at the filling station. they are meant only for filling fuel.
For most people though, it is the best time to give the car a once-over. I check all lubes & tyre pressures only when I need a fuel top-up. Easy to remember and convenient. From our best practices article (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape):
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Each time that you tank up, give your under-bonnet area a once over. Check the level of all fluids and also if anything's amiss (loose wires, pipe etc.). Screen the air pressure as well. These small steps go a long way in ensuring your car's top health.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks