Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 06:42   #31
BHPian

Re: E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway

While driving in the US, I had observed people there using Waze. It had a simple interface to mark speed camera locations as you cross them. We all need to start using something like this to make our life easier.
PistonRing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I suggest we start marking these cams on maps so that we're aware exactly where they are.
I think many places having Speed Cams are marked on GMaps. But since this Expressway is one straight road, no one uses GMaps most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-speed.jpg  

E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-speed-2.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 16th January 2021 at 11:18.
RM Motorsports is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 15:05   #33

After going through this thread thought of casually checking if any challan is issued under my name and voilà! there was one.

This was on the Mumbai Pune Expressway where I assumed that the speed limit was 100. I also vividly remember that day I was cruising down just after the ghat at 90-95 kmph after crossing Lonavla just before food-court there was this Ertiga Interceptor which issued the challan, as I thought I was well within the speed limit(assumed to be 100) and hence did not bother at all.

I am however truly surprised by this absurd speed limit of 60 on MPEW, that too on a straight patch on a slope .
Attached Thumbnails
E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-sonet.png  

anup_av is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 21:26   #34
BHPian

It’s a dilemma for me as to what the speed limit is on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
Always thought it to be 100 kmph, and 50 kmph around the ghat sections. But, wasn’t aware the exit points to have speed capped at 80 kmph.
For more clarity, I did e-mail Navi-Mumbai Police but the team is quite unresponsive.

E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-f7b0d34a330741bc9c6771b8b8b93963.jpeg
GautamJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 23:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
It’s a dilemma for me as to what the speed limit is on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
Always thought it to be 100 kmph, and 50 kmph around the ghat sections. But, wasn’t aware the exit points to have speed capped at 80 kmph.
For more clarity, I did e-mail Navi-Mumbai Police but the team is quite unresponsive.
That shot of the car is worth the fine
60 -80 kmph speed limit on the Mumbai Pune expressway is just absurd though !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 11:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

For the benefit of all, can someone make a list of allowable speed limits on every section of the MPEW and post here?
Old 26th December 2021, 20:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys my cousin suggested an app called "Radarbot" (a subscription app available for both IOS and Android) that I am going to try on my long distance trip this week. Will report back on how good it is. Cousin finds it to be really good. YMMV of course.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th December 2021 at 20:48.
Old 26th December 2021, 22:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys my cousin suggested an app called "Radarbot" (a subscription app available for both IOS and Android) that I am going to try on my long distance trip this week. Will report back on how good it is. Cousin finds it to be really good. YMMV of course.
Do let us know.

I have read somewhere that these apps detect the speed gun by sensing the waves shot at our car by the speed gun. So by the time we are warned, we are already booked for overspeeding.
Old 27th December 2021, 07:18   #39
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know if Waze or similar apps work effectively in India or any part of india?

I haven’t seen the app but i would assume its location agnostic so long as users update camera information on it?
Old 27th December 2021, 08:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone know if Waze or similar apps work effectively in India or any part of india?

I haven’t seen the app but i would assume its location agnostic so long as users update camera information on it?
Off topic :
I am using Waze from last couple of months for long road trips and city rides inside Delhi. Happy with the service as it is car centric. A draw back is it’s community underpinning ( In India, it seems the popularity is a bit less) but it is giving most of the speed camera locations in and around Delhi(new to Delhi and still exploring). Waze belongs to google and no idea if they shares real time data

Last edited by greyhound82 : 27th December 2021 at 08:10.
Old 27th December 2021, 08:09   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The app is good, have used it especially in NCR. It's been integrated into Android Auto now which is available in premium version only. Only issue I can see is the price for it.

E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-screenshot_20211227080558.jpg

E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-screenshot_20211227080629__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 14:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Went to Mahabaleshwar over the long weekend and while going it was heavy traffic on the Mumbai-Pune expressway so no chance of getting caught for speeding but while coming back since we got back on a Monday, it was a runway and with runways the issue is of keeping the speed in check according to how the speeds are marked on the expressway is a blood pressure rising task.

On some of the downhill stretches of the ghats the speed limit is 30-40, I mean just to show my parents I slowed down to that and voila, even an 18 wheeler passed next to me at 80-90, its impossible to manage some of these speed limit tantrums.

Secondly, on so many stretches, on the right the speed limit is 100, on the left its 80, now what to do?

Lastly, after these 80's and 100's, some stretches suddenly end up showing 40, I mean, if I keep following these to the dot, I will get rear ended for sure.

I think the people who have kept these speed camera's have the sole intention to earn money, baaki I highly doubt they care about people's safety and all that.

Bakwas rules by imbeciles, I rather use the old highway till Lonavala and then enter it from Lonavala after which the speed camera's are comparatively less

Last edited by humyum : 25th March 2022 at 14:58.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 16:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

On some of the downhill stretches of the ghats the speed limit is 30-40, I mean just to show my parents I slowed down to that and voila, even an 18 wheeler passed next to me at 80-90, its impossible to manage some of these speed limit tantrums.

Secondly, on so many stretches, on the right the speed limit is 100, on the left its 80, now what to do?

Lastly, after these 80's and 100's, some stretches suddenly end up showing 40, I mean, if I keep following these to the dot, I will get rear ended for sure.
Absolutely agree with this. People are getting fined left and right due to these random speed limits. We don't even receive notification/SMS about the fine despite the phone numbers being linked to the car.

Once you get a fine you don't even remember seeing a speed limit sign at the particular stretch, so cannot even contest it. So we just pay the fine and move on. The most favorite stretch of road which me and my ride used to enjoy, has now turned into an anxious game of hide and seek with speed cams!

I would love to know what we can do from our end to get this issue resolved once and for all?
A PIL? A letter/ mail to concerned authorities?/ Tweets to the minister?
I'm ready to be the part of the movement to get out of this headache.
PrasadS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 00:11   #44
BHPian

I have used E-way quite a few times in recent days. Latest being Monday(21 March). I try to maintain speed between 90-95 on straights and below 80 kmph in ghat sections. This has worked for me so far.

How many days does it generally take to reflect challan on e-challan payment website? Hoping not to jinx myself here
Old 29th March 2022, 03:42   #45

If you travel on the expressway frequently, you will memorize the speed camera locations. They're usually located under any Overbridge pillars, where it says 'Penalty 1000/- for overspeeding'. Near the ghats the speed limit is really low like 30 or 50 in some areas, it differs. The interceptor Ertiga is usually located few hundred meters after the speed limit sign. Just when you think of overtaking a vehicle or when you think you can pick up some speed now, boom! You have been snapped!

Tip to spot a speed camera on expressway: Its usually the Yellow colored sign post which has 3 non working lights-like looking things to its side and looks like a signal, not too tall. Those are cameras. Not non-working lights. They're under all those pillars and also sometimes on the left side of the road in ghat section.

Whenever approaching an overbridge, keep it around 80 or slightly under to be safe. Ghats, keep an eye to the left and far away for the interceptor Ertiga.

Non expressway situation on National Highways - these interceptor Ertigas are usually few kms away from the entrance of a city.. If you travel frequently you will remember those locations. I always make a point to drop a pin on map saying 'speed trap'. If you see a lot of people slowing down at a specific patch on the highway for no apparent reason, that means there probably is a speed trap ahead.
Amil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks