Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 12:57   #1
BANNED

E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Hello All,

This is my first thread on team bhp. Actually I always wanted to write my first thread in the form of long-term review of my car ( Tata Tiago XZ Diesel) post completing 1L kms; however ended up writing a thread on an issue faced for the incorrect echallan issued against my car on Mumbai-Pune express way.

I stay in Pune due to my job; however I frequently vistit Mumbai as my family stays there. Today morning, when I checked Maharashtra traffic police app, I found that one e-challan of Rs.1000 is issued against my car for over speeding on Mumbai Pune Express way. When I checked the pic attached in the e-challan, I found that my car speed was recorded as 80 kms/hr which is I belive an acceptable speed limit on express way. Still got this e- challan.

Now I don't understand where shall I report this incorrect echallan issued against my car.

Any suggestions from experts are much appreciated.

Mods: please feel free to move this post to appropriate section.

Regards,
drkuldeep1998
Attached Thumbnails
E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-inbound5962896939359639566.jpg  

Last edited by drkuldeep1998 : 25th February 2020 at 13:20.
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Incorrct e-challan issued against my car while driving on Mumbai- Pune Express way

Mod note: Thread moved to Street Experiences.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:34   #3
BHPian

Re: Incorrct e-challan issued against my car while driving on Mumbai- Pune Express way

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuldeep1998 View Post
Now I don't understand where shall I report this incorrect echallan issued against my car.
Firstly, welcome to team-BHP.

Here is a thread that has some hints:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-now-what.html (Received a wrong traffic challan - Now what?)
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The co-ordinates in the image is very much part of Mumbai Pune Expressway, around Khopoli. So cannot suspect foul play. The search for the Lat-long shows this location to be precise.

In general the speed limit on our highways unless otherwise specified is always 80 Kmph. Few expressways and NHs have it more. However, I have also seen cops reprimanding drivers abusing the speed limits merely on the basis of that one signage somewhere in the middle of the highway that has a lesser limit.

When you argue with them, they will point you to the signage and conclude that you weren't attentive of the road signages.

I am not sure if I have come across such signage on the expressway that would warn motorists of potential accident spots and hence specify a lower speed limit. If that is the case, they will conclude that your challan is valid. If it is not, then you can always contest this.

I have been fined once in Kerala while driving to Kochi way back in 2010 for doing 74 on a stretch of National highway that had a limit of 70 (unusual limit). This was when the road was single carriageway. The cops simply pointed me to the road sign that mentioned 70 was the upper limit. So I am just trying to understand how can the system itself be badly designed to generate challans of crossing 70 in a zone with a limit of 80 (Expressway).

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th February 2020 at 13:55.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I checked the pic attached in the e-challan, I found that my car speed was recorded as 80 kms/hr which is I belive an acceptable speed limit on express way.
Within the image, it says the limit is 70 km/hr. I know of the ghat sections where the limit is significantly lower (I believe 30 km/hr at some spots) but 70, I don't recollect.

At the link suggested, try asking for proof of where this 70 km/hr limit is displayed.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

I found that my car speed was recorded as 80 kms/hr which is I belive an acceptable speed limit on express way. Still got this e- challan.

*SNIP*

Er... if you check the photograph properly you'll notice the very first line saying that the speed limit was 70 kmph, not 80; and you were doing 80. Hence the ticket.

It has not been falsely issued at all. You may have a point if you argued that 70 (or even 80 for that matter) ws a ridiculous limit designed with the express and sole purpose of revenue generation rather than any nod to safety, but then that's a completely different thread.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:55   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Within the image, it says the limit is 70 km/hr. I know of the ghat sections where the limit is significantly lower (I believe 30 km/hr at some spots) but 70, I don't recollect.

At the link suggested, try asking for proof of where this 70 km/hr limit is displayed.
Thanks. I will surely check if any sign is present on this perticular strech for driving at 70 km/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Er... if you check the photograph properly you'll notice the very first line saying that the speed limit was 70 kmph, not 80; and you were doing 80. Hence the ticket.

It has not been falsely issued at all. You may have a point if you argued that 70 (or even 80 for that matter) ws a ridiculous limit designed with the express and sole purpose of revenue generation rather than any nod to safety, but then that's a completely different thread.

Cheers
Agree with your point that the speed limit was mentioned as 70kms/ hr and I was driving at 80 kms/ hr..but this perticular section of the express way has slope and it is very difficult to keep your vehicle under 70. If you try to follow the same the there is a possibility that you end getting hit by some other speeding vehicle

Last edited by Eddy : 25th February 2020 at 14:03. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The picture says speed limit is 70 KMPH. Is it so?
Old 25th February 2020, 14:09   #9
BHPian

There are many sign boards for 30 kph and 50 kph limit just a couple of kms before the spot mentioned in speed ticket. While I won't comment on prudence of those limits, I dread getting a ticket on those sections since I probably have never done 30 kph there unless in heavy traffic.

You may contest this ticket though I doubt it will be of much help. While I don't remember seeing 70 kph board anywhere, there are many 60 kph, 50 kph and 30 kph boards. Eway is slowly becoming a minefield now with interceptors propping up on medians randomly. I think the best chance is to follow the moving traffic speed and recite prayers.
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Quote:
Dr. Kuldeep, the picture clearly shows speed limit of 70 and your speed as 80 kmph.

There is no argument or explanation required, I would suggest you simply pay the fine and move on with your life.

Any other thought process is a waste of time and energy with no change to the outcome. You will have have to pay the fine eventually. Finish it and forget about it.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 18:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
There are many sign boards for 30 kph and 50 kph limit just a couple of kms before the spot mentioned in speed ticket. While I won't comment on prudence of those limits, I dread getting a ticket on those sections since I probably have never done 30 kph there unless in heavy traffic.

While I don't remember seeing 70 kph board anywhere, there are many 60 kph, 50 kph and 30 kph boards
Agree with you, starting from 20kmph, there are many 30,50,60,70 kmph boards in the ghat section of the Mumbai--Pune Expressway. 80kmph is for all those straight stretches.

Below is a screenshot from my own video that shows 70kmph. This is during the ascent just post the Khandala twin tunnels heading towards Pune.
E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-screenshot_20200225182857__01.jpg

And this one is heading towards Mumbai, the long slope but speed limit is 50kmph.
E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-screenshot_20200225183511__01__01.jpg

Fortunately I have never been flagged on Expressway for any reason till date. Neither do I drive below 60kmph unless there is heavy traffic ( but the heavy traffic mostly always exists )
vivek95 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 14:16   #12

Re: E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Well even I was Wrongly Challan-ed(whatever is the proper verb here).

Received an e-challan from ODISHA, I live in Punjab, and I have never even traveled to Sundergarh, Odisha. Let alone drive over there.

E-challan issued against my car on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-echallan.png

Moreover the offense is mentioned as " Disobedience of order of authorities ".
I am all for digitization and modernization, but there should be online solution of the same as this is causing unnecessary harassment.
sj911 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Agree with your point that the speed limit was mentioned as 70kms/ hr and I was driving at 80 kms/ hr..but this perticular section of the express way has slope and it is very difficult to keep your vehicle under 70. If you try to follow the same the there is a possibility that you end getting hit by some other speeding vehicle
I believe that's the answer to the question - this point is on the slightly curving and downward stretch which flattens once you pass the huge Tata Docomo/Jeep hoarding (on the right side of the road). I distinctly remember the speed limit being much lesser on this stretch due to safety aspects (trucks generally would be lumbering around ~50 kmph on this stretch) with one or two speed limit signage present after the Khopoli exit is passed.

Have a check next time you pass; but I would agree that this stretch has a lower limit; it's a different matter most cars nearly hit 3-digit figures on this stretch after all the slow ghat sectors.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th February 2020 at 15:45.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 16:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj911 View Post
Well even I was Wrongly Challan-ed(whatever is the proper verb here).

Received an e-challan from ODISHA, I live in Punjab, and I have never even traveled to Sundergarh, Odisha. Let alone drive over there.
Yesterday I came across the news of a person driving Scorpio was issued e-challan for not wearing helmet.

It was mentioned that to protest, he drove his Scorpio wearing Helmet for few days.

Where is our digitization system taking us.
yoscenario2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

I still don't understand how this system of issuing e-challans for over-speeding works. There are hundreds of inter-city buses plying everyday on the expressway and most of them are driving above speed limit. Mostly they are either Volvo or Scania or Benz and they definitely have a very high top speed. A couple of weeks back on my way to Pune, I was driving at 90ish since speed limit is 100 kph, around 4 of such buses overtook me and I'm sure their speed must be around 120/130. These buses drive at high speed through ghat section too.

There are even some outstation OLA / UBER cabs I have seen driving way above the speed limit.

They ply on the expressway day & night. So I am just wondering DO THEY EVER GET FINED ?? If Yes, their fines must be running into thousands of rupees especially the buses running day / night. Do they ever pay the fine ? Who pays the fine, Driver or the Operator?
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks