Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 11:20   #31
Team-BHP Support

If they did remember their seat numbers, not so difficult to catch the person. But, then again he could have sold it to someone else in black.
Old 30th June 2007, 16:12   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Best way to avoid this is:

Ensure all 4 doors are locked.
Do not keep cellphones / wallets / any valuables in visible sight like on the dashboard.
If no one is travelling with you, roll up all other windows except the driver side window.
That's the same thing I do. I keep all valuables out of sight. When I'm driving alone, I roll up all three windows and lock the doors. And lucky for me, my Padmini's keys dangle in the centre of the dash. I would suggest having spare key with you, just in case your keys get nicked!

After looking at these accounts posted here, I'm thinking of fitting an A/C into my 1963 Padmini! Then, I'll be able to close all windows!
Old 30th August 2007, 18:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well this happened to My friend in bangalore chikpet area..It was a maddening jam and he was messaging his friend as there was no movement of traffic when one guy snatched his phone through the window and just made a dash to one of the gullies. My friend couldnt even open his door due to the jam!!
Old 30th August 2007, 19:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As a matter of fact, since the time i got my new car, its becoming a habit that i take out my purse and mobile and keep it in driver side pockets before even i get inside the car.
but nothing's any safer in the door pad pockets anyway. just a matter of a variant of the same old trick that would work in that case as well...
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:12   #35
BHPian

Another day another theft!
My mobile was snatched yesterday while I was walking back home.
There are so many mobile thefts these days and guess what, in 2007, according to the BIG Statistics board in police station, there havent been a SINGLE complaint registered in Jayanagar police station in Bangalore for Mobile theft. This morning when I went to the police station, I was surprised to see the policeman being more polite than he normally is. As the conversation built up, he adviced me to change the complaint saying mobile was 'lost' instead of 'robbed'. I refused to budge. So he has asked me to talk to the inspector. And as usual, he said inspector will be available only at 3pm (knows pretty well its an odd time). The worst part is that once I didnt budge, that guy started blaming me saying 'you didnt note down the vehicle number etc etc..'
I want to try my level best to register a complaint that the phone was robbed. More so, since I have the IMEI number.

BTW, any tbhpians in airtel/spice/hutch/bsnl? I need help in trying to check out if this instrument being used already :-)

End of the day, I think it was my fault to walk around talking with my phone giving opportunities to these idiots. I guess I learnt it the hard way and as strange as it may seem, I will start using my handsfree when I go walking :-)
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:42   #36
BHPian

Aah...mobile theafts...reminds me of 2 interesting incidents.

Incident 1(Dec 2005): A friend of mine who had an expensive Nokia camera phone, lost it when getting down from the BMTC bus at majestic bus stand. He realized it immideatly after getting down and called up the number from my mobile. And guess what the thief picked up the phone, and told him.."sorry saar, I cant give ur phone back. You should be more careful when travelling in bmtc buses!. give me your mail address, i'll mail ur sim card back!!". My friend was so shocked that he never bothered to give his postal address

Incident 2: Another friend of mine, dropped his Reliance mobile when travelling on hosur road. He realized it when he reached his office. He called up the number...the guy picked up the phone and told him that he can collect the phone from him from his shop in bomanahalli. Later he told him that he's not extraordinarily honest...he's just returning his phone sine its a CDMA phone and he anyway wont be able to use it once the phone was blocked.

Luckily..touchwood, I've never lost my phone since I've started using one.

Regards,
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
.. As the conversation built up, he adviced me to change the complaint saying mobile was 'lost' instead of 'robbed'.
What I have learned is that, if you register a "theft" or a "robbed" complaint, then the police personnel have to go through certain formalities - which means they have some work to do. But if you make a "lost" or a "misplaced" complaint, there is nothing that they need to do. So they generally try to persuade people into registering cases of "theft" as "lost" cases - which is usually the case. You register a "lost" case and then your case is truly lost (into some dark corner of some filing cabinet).
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:07   #38
BHPian

Mobile thefts are a pain!!! but sometimes you will be amazed as to how luck some people actually are...Had a friend who left his nokia n73 in a bus somewhere near mahalaxmi, He called up his number and the guy told him to come pick ii up from sion the first time, n then from dharavi the next time he called..We called him up like a 100times but then luckily the guy reassured him that his phone was safe and that he should not worry about it.my friend went to dharavi n guess what?? collected his phone :-)
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

This makes quite an interesting reading. At least the thieves were candid enough to admit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Aah...mobile theafts...reminds me of 2 interesting incidents.

Incident 1(Dec 2005): A friend of mine who had an expensive Nokia camera phone, lost it when getting down from the BMTC bus at majestic bus stand. He realized it immideatly after getting down and called up the number from my mobile. And guess what the thief picked up the phone, and told him.."sorry saar, I cant give ur phone back. You should be more careful when travelling in bmtc buses!. give me your mail address, i'll mail ur sim card back!!". My friend was so shocked that he never bothered to give his postal address

Incident 2: Another friend of mine, dropped his Reliance mobile when travelling on hosur road. He realized it when he reached his office. He called up the number...the guy picked up the phone and told him that he can collect the phone from him from his shop in bomanahalli. Later he told him that he's not extraordinarily honest...he's just returning his phone sine its a CDMA phone and he anyway wont be able to use it once the phone was blocked.

Luckily..touchwood, I've never lost my phone since I've started using one.

Regards,
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

When I use my phone while walking I ensure I use my ear towards the pavement/ footpath side to avoid such snatching incidents. Although its no sureshot way as they can even gang-up on you.

If you loose a phone consider it gone, its like a 100rs note lying on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Another day another theft!
My mobile was snatched yesterday while I was walking back home.
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:52   #41
BHPian

losing a phone is not that painful(unless its N series ), but when we lose all our numbers along with it..thats something thats irreplacable and very painful.

I dont know...may be someone should comeup with some website or something where we could send all our contacts as business cards and save them!

Is there any other way for low end mobile users to somehow save there contacts off the mobile?

Regards,
Old 24th October 2007, 17:20   #42
BHPian

Egad! What has the world come to?

These incidences used to be very common in Bangalore too some time back. In fact i remember reading a front page report in ToI three years or so back when a whole bloody gang of such crooks was rounded off by the police with the help of alert public.

Last edited by thefreak : 24th October 2007 at 17:21.
Old 24th October 2007, 18:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I dont know...may be someone should comeup with some website or something where we could send all our contacts as business cards and save them!
www.zyb.com

Does not support all phones, though. I know all Symbian phones are supported. You can synchronise with the Zyb server via GPRS/EDGE.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is a cool site. I just signed up and backed my mobile. Phew, what a relief..

Thanks a ton, Hydrashok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
www.zyb.com

Does not support all phones, though. I know all Symbian phones are supported. You can synchronise with the Zyb server via GPRS/EDGE.
Old 26th October 2007, 12:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

pretty funky site. for most nokia high end phones and windows mobile phones you hae the PC sync that allows one to sync up contacts.
The best part is mobiles came into our lives less than 10 years ago, but its taken it over.
Moral of story: good ol address book with pencil and paper best option!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks