Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 11:29   #46
F50
Senior - BHPian

Knock! Knock! Your Cell Phone is Gone!

A new way of stealing mobile phones and it is spreading like viral.

This has been witnessed two times in three days in Mumbai. (Bandra & Andheri)

They work in a gang of two or three. One of the guys knocks on the driver's door while the other opens the passenger door and snatches your phone, wallet etc either on seat or cup-holders. Same for office bags, laptops from the rear seat. Since the driver is strapped the movement becomes quite limited and they easily flee away.

Beware guys! Always lock all the doors and try to keep your belongings especially phones near to you! A friend lost his cell phone worth 30k in the same fashion at Bandra.

Lock and Ignore the Knock
F50 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 11:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Knock! Knock! Your Cell Phone is Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
A new way of stealing mobile phones and it is spreading like viral.

This has been witnessed two times in three days in Mumbai. (Bandra & Andheri)

They work in a gang of two or three. One of the guys knocks on the driver's door while the other opens the passenger door and snatches your phone, wallet etc either on seat or cup-holders. Same for office bags, laptops from the rear seat. Since the driver is strapped the movement becomes quite limited and they easily flee away.

Beware guys! Always lock all the doors and try to keep your belongings especially phones near to you! A friend lost his cell phone worth 30k in the same fashion at Bandra.

Lock and Ignore the Knock
I assume such has been in practise for yrs now. approx 15 yrs ago my uncle has been a target to such a foul play. But its always safer to have all 4 doors locked. Doesnt matter if you alone in car or got co passengers. Most people have the habit of locking the doors only when there are kids in the car. But i always feel locking the car always is safer.
Old 4th February 2012, 11:50   #48
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I assume such has been in practise for yrs now. approx 15 yrs ago my uncle has been a target to such a foul play. But its always safer to have all 4 doors locked. Doesnt matter if you alone in car or got co passengers. Most people have the habit of locking the doors only when there are kids in the car. But i always feel locking the car always is safer.
Yes I know about that. Similar incident happened to friend in around 2004. But had never heard of such incidents there after.

I know people people might have the habit but two witnessed and don't know how many more...

A heads up anyways!
Old 4th February 2012, 12:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is not a new trick.
And sometimes they don't even open the door, they snatch mobiles through the window. Again, an old trick.
But a new one was recently experiences by my mom. She was sitting in a cab in the front with her bag on her lap. These guys on a bike drive up and try to snatch through the window. She held onto it, they sped off. This happened on Altamont road, right opposite the mods place of residence!
New for me was this happening on Altamont Road, and snatching through a cab window from the lap. These guys even managed to overtake from the left side.
Since many years, I always place my bag in the dicky and lock it.

Cheers harit
Old 4th February 2012, 12:14   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Standard operating procedure for beggars at traffic lights in Delhi. If you are careless enough to leave your cellphone/wallet on the front passenger seat and leave the doors unlocked, someone knocks on the driver's door and begs, while his associate opens the left front door, grabs your valuable and runs.
Old 4th February 2012, 17:40   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

At traffic signals, I have heard laptops and bags being stolen from the back seat of cars which are unlocked (In this case, knock to unlock). There is little you can do sitting in the traffic.

I make a note to NEVER unlock the door while traveling, especially in traffic. Even windows are closed.
Old 4th February 2012, 18:19   #52
BHPian

This is not a new trick. It has been practised by such gangs (known as Thak Thak Gang in Delhi) for many years by now.

There have been such discussions (along with safety precautions) on the following threads:

Delhi
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ice-delhi.html

Mumbai
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-my-eyes.html

Cheers!
Irish
Old 4th February 2012, 21:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am thoroughly surprised! Don't people lock their houses when they are inside? Then why not cars?!!
As long as people remain ignorant, thugs will keep making easy money.
Old 5th February 2012, 03:27   #54
BHPian

whenever i am out with family and i have to get down and buy something inside or outside the city, my wife puts the central lock on and i have to knock her side window to open it. That should save us from these lowlifes and avoid mental agony when parked and you are not inside.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:35   #55
BHPian

In most of new gen cars the central works by default ,except when you specifically unlock the doors. As a rule i wind down windows only if reqd to less than 1/4 way from up. try to keep your stuff either under the seat or on the floor (to avoid unwanted attention) it is worth the effort of bending and picking up and working the abs a bit rather than a worked up brain.
Trust in God but lock your car --

Cheers
Prasad
Old 5th February 2012, 16:31   #56
Team-BHP Support

Um. Don't we all have pockets in the clothes we wear? I can't imagine why anybody would take out their wallets/cellphones and keep it on the passenger seat or inside cubby holes near the gear lever.

The safest place for a laptop or a bagful of money/jewelry would be the boot. Unfortunately, everybody likes to keep their valuables close to them (in the passenger compartment) rather than out of sight in the boot. When it is visible, it increases the chances of theft manifold.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 16:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have a habit of keeping my wallet inside cubby hole under hand break and mobile phone inside bottle holder .

I don't keep them in my jeans pocket as it makes me uncomfortable while driving!! I will need to be more careful now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 6th February 2012, 08:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing F50

I have heard many a such incidents happening esp at the traffic signals and particularly those which have huge waiting time. I ensure that the windows are rolled up since there is too much pestering happening at such places by the enuchs and the flower/agarbatti/toys sellers. You need to be careful about these guys too. I know some of them do make a honest living but there are some who look a make a fast buck and laptops/mobiles on the passenger seats make easy pickings.

Keep the doors locked and windows rolled up if you are driving alone.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:17   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

It's an old trick and there are variants as well! I was once sitting in an auto on the Malad-Juhu link road and when the vehicle stopped for a signal to tur right towards Lokhandwala, I had just finished a call and was sitting with my mobile in my hand. Suddenly a hand reached in and tried to grab my phone. Thankfully I'd been vigilant and just refused to let go. The hand vanished and I yelled at my rick guy to stop (the signal had just turned green) but he kept going and only stopped some 100m down the road by which time the would-be thief had long vanished. I suspect the auto guy was also involved in this otherwise he had ample opportunity to stop- when I asked him why he didn't he made some lame excuse that he hadn't heard me, etc.

I have a policy now of never rolling down my windows if anyone knocks- check the Open Dickey scam thread for more details!
Old 6th February 2012, 10:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Early 2001 or so, my Dad was a victim of such a scam. Kids of not more than 10 years of age played the trick on him and he gave in. He lost an office bag, containing some important stuff.

Lesson learnt the hard way, but we did learn. Now, no one in my family gives in to such idiocacy's on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks