Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 10:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals

Hope some regulation of speed camera should happen in India, it's now left to whims and fancies of Police.

And wrong investment on Jeep mounted speed cam, I guess the cost for 1 jeep, 4 personals could get atleast 25 automated speed camera. But police prefer jeep mounted for bribes, this is happening in karnataka.

When driving in Italy I noticed a rule, a notice board should be display 100mts before speed camera saying speed camera ahead. Even for mobile speed cams police have to put a board 100 mts before and stand to catch. Strange rules, my friend who stays in Florence confirmed that's the italian rule. So you get speed Challan only if you don't notice the board.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Police still issues speeding tickets by post. I got one recently, for a speeding offense (limit was 90kmph, I was at 92!) , I had to pay INR 1400 for that. Good thing is that, it can be paid online without ever going to an office or PS and running around from one desk to another.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:19   #18
BHPian

I was ticketed by an interceptor in Kerala on the highway between Palakkad and Alathur last week on my drive to Edappally from Bangalore. Typically, as soon as I cross Walayar, I change my pace completely and keep the speed at or below 90. I made a small lapse, by being at around 95-96 Kmph for about 15 - 20 seconds as I was cresting a flyover, correcting it soon enough but a very strategically placed interceptor, which I saw almost immediately, a few feet after flyover descent, flagged me down and handed me a ticket for speeding. Tried reasoning, but didn't work. The police were equally polite and after a few minutes figured out the futility of any argument, paid up the full fine of Rs. 1,500 and carried on. I toyed with the idea of mentioning about this HC order but decided against it. They gave me a hand written receipt.

However, thinking about this later during the trip, I get the feeling that they pulled a fast one on me and made a neat sum for their pockets. The receipt they gave was a hand written one on a "official" looking receipt booklet. They didn't give me any proper printout indicating the speed, offence or any other details. Even the tone of discussion was almost like a negotiation in which they skilfully managed to extract the full amount. Anyway lesson learnt. While in Kerala, be very wary! But while in that mode I do see several vehicles pass me at speed and I keep wondering if they know techniques, that I don't, to travel quick without getting caught.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Thanks Gannu, I just checked echallan.parivahan.gov.in just be sure. ( All good)

Since the address where my vehicle registered was a rental which I moved out ages ago, I am wondering about the whole memo process. Maybe it time to update my RC details.( oh! The hassles)
The speed-trap challan issued by KP does not show up in VAAHAN portal.
You need to search in https://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in/ .

Though, they call themselves KP Hi-Tech Cell, all process except the camera-click is manual. So, typically it takes 45-60 days for you to receive the memo by post .

I got 4 challans at the same spot for trips I have had made in a period between first offense and getting the memo. (I could have avoided the other 3 had they issued a timely one )
bkunnithan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkunnithan View Post
The speed-trap challan issued by KP does not show up in VAAHAN portal.
You need to search in https://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in/ .

Though, they call themselves KP Hi-Tech Cell, all process except the camera-click is manual. So, typically it takes 45-60 days for you to receive the memo by post .

I got 4 challans at the same spot for trips I have had made in a period between first offense and getting the memo. (I could have avoided the other 3 had they issued a timely one )

Site is Good for payment and to find location.
Totally useless to get any info about snapshot or what speeds we were travelling.
Old 26th September 2021, 18:38   #21
BHPian

Received an over speeding challan yesterday that happened on 17 May, 2021 ie after 4+ months! I think this is a state highway so the limit should be 80 km/hr, so this is just 3 km/hr over the limit. Rs 1500 is a bit steep.

Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-santrooverspeeding.png

Also, the notice doesn't actually mention the speed limit applicable in that specific area, and I don't re-call any speed limit board. Will check the next time I pass through that area.

Has anyone disputed these fines and succeeded? I mean not through a court case and all, as I don't think I can spare the time and effort for that.
Old 20th November 2021, 22:56   #22
BHPian

I received a overspeeding ticket of 4500 for my non KL vehicle - 3 tickets in just 24 hrs from KL transport department.
This is ridiculous and atrocious.
I got the notice delivered to home in TN.

1. Anyone else received ticket for their non KL vehicle?
2. Has anyone challenged this ticketing atrocity?
3. What happens if I don’t pay this ?
4. It’s totally ambiguous to drive in Kerala where you can never know what is the speed limit of that particular road

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st November 2021 at 09:33. Reason: overspending > overspeeding
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 08:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I received a overspending ticket of 4500 for my non KL vehicle - 3 tickets in just 24 hrs from KL transport department.
This is ridiculous and atrocious.
I got the notice delivered to home in TN.

2. Has anyone challenged this ticketing atrocity?
3. What happens if I don’t pay this ?
4. It’s totally ambiguous to drive in Kerala where you can never know what is the speed limit of that particular road
There's pretty much nothing that you can do. If you don't pay it, your car will be blacklisted.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 09:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Moderator Ajmat has. He received a total of some 10 tickets or so for a one day Bangalore - Cochin trip totalling to 15k. He has shared this on a different thread. He did pay the fine though.

Do note that today all the vehicle details are available on the Vahan portal online including the PUC details. That’s how Kerala MVD has traced your address and has sent the tickets to you. So if you don’t pay the fines, they can track this and can lead to repercussions. Pay them off and move on I’d say. The speed warning signs are installed on the highways. You probably missed them.

Basically, you’re in my home - you play by my rules.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
In a bizarre incident, the motor vehicle department has slapped a fine of Rs 1,33,500 on a young man from Kannur for violating the speed limit multiple times.

The Kannur native had to pay a hefty fine after it came to light that his SUV violated the speed limit and was caught 89 times by the cameras installed in various parts of Kozhikode North Zone. In January 2022 alone, he was fined seven times for the same reason.

Rs 1,500 is the fine that is imposed for over-speeding. The number of speeding tickets he received came to light after his vehicle was involved in an accident last day. Following this, he approached the insurance company and learned about the penalty.

It was revealed that MVD had blacklisted his vehicle for non-payment of the fine.
Speed thrills, but those thrills are anything but cheap!

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...news-1.6435450
Old 16th February 2022, 20:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think it is time to edit the heading of this thread. Yes, speed camera fines still continue. Yes, non KL cars get fine too. Yes, my BILs TN car had to pay 1500 per instance. The last fine I paid for my KL car was 1500 per instance. All of these in the last 6 months or so.

PS: Waze is a life saver, use it whenever you are on the highway.
govigov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
Speed thrills, but those thrills are anything but cheap!

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...news-1.6435450
This isn't bizzare, its absurd. If a person has been driving rashly over a long period of time, the police should've apprehended them, not wait for their own sweet time while that person endangers the lives of innocent citizens.

The officials responsible should be penalised for dereliction of duty and this should be taken just as seriously with the same immediacy as penalising the errant driver.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 08:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I think it is time to edit the heading of this thread. Yes, speed camera fines still continue. Yes, non KL cars get fine too. Yes, my BILs TN car had to pay 1500 per instance. The last fine I paid for my KL car was 1500 per instance. All of these in the last 6 months or so.

True, our i10 received one couple of weeks back (Aroor-Cherthala stretch). Although Waze is pretty good, some of the newly installed average speed cameras arent updated especially Thrissur-Palghat stretch.

But I use it always when I take the highway.
Old 17th February 2022, 12:06   #29
BHPian

Did anyone use Radarbot? It has a very good coverage in Kerala NH and MC Road. I tried this in January when I drove back from Ettumanoor to Bangalore.
Most of the fixed cameras are properly marked.

Overview
Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-screenshot_20220217115306.png

With little zoom
Kerala HC stays fines based on speed camera visuals-screenshot_20220217115345.png

I am yet to try Waze

Last edited by kavu75 : 17th February 2022 at 12:07.
kavu75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post

Why is Waze so good? Kindly explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Did anyone use Radarbot? It has a very good coverage in Kerala NH and MC Road. I tried this in January when I drove back from Ettumanoor to Bangalore.
Most of the fixed cameras are properly marked.

Overview
Attachment 2273662

With little zoom
Attachment 2273663

I am yet to try Waze
What do the numbers in black circle signify?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks