Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 11:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru residents to pay for parking outside their homes in some areas

So car owners, who already paid road tax while purchasing their vehicles, are now supposed to pay a premium for parking on roads now?

I thought about this but I can't still see the logic behind it.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Get this- My neighbor constructed a 4 story building with 6 houses but made space only to park 5 nos of scooter/bikes in the ground floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
It has become a norm to build ugly houses with 4-5 floors in 30x40 plots with zero provisions for parking vehicles. Every tenant of such houses will have at least a car and couple of two wheelers.
I think you guys live in the same area I do! Or perhaps most of Bangalore has seen this sort of 'development'. About this causing 'awareness' forget it, people are blind to their own transgressions. I have a neighbor who has also 'redeveloped' his home on a 30x40 plot into a 3 floor building, with 2 living units on each floor and he always complains to me about there not being enough water supply or space to park in the neighborhood. The irony of having such conversations in the shadow of such a structure is delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I doubt if there is any area where a local Corporator is not a local Don.
Too right! In my area, a couple of local politicians who are related to a local builder also operate the water tankers in the area! Guess where all those water tankers are parked at night. So highly doubt how effective enforcement will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How I wish they could enforce the rule even for interior roads!
Even if they can enforce this rule on the main roads and some busy roads, will be a win! Bangalore traffic situation is so bad that any win is good!

Last edited by am1m : 12th February 2021 at 11:38.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
So car owners, who already paid road tax while purchasing their vehicles, are now supposed to pay a premium for parking on roads now?

I thought about this but I can't still see the logic behind it.
The tax we pay is road tax, that covers next to nothing except creating more revenue for the government, any usable road in Karnataka is a toll road. The government is targeting those who built residences with no provision for parking and then use the access roads as free parking. Property taxes on this kind of land use is absolutely necessary, nobody has a right to free parking.

This might sound unfair, but if you don't have parking, you shouldn't get a car otherwise you pay for the land that you utilise. Worst case scenario, parking like this prevents emergency services from reaching houses. The worst offenders in this are the posh layouts, which were created with government subsidies, if they built without parking, they should be forced to sell their cars or build a parking facility inside the house.
avira_tk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

My opinion here, I for one will not buy a car if I do not have parking space. I was on the verge of selling my Wagon R when I was about to loose my parking slot in my apartment. It was rented and the owner wanted to give my parking spot to his relative who had bought a costly car. I actually get surprised when such expensive items are just parked outside and left to the nature. I know it's a challenge many people have. They have old houses which do not accommodate the big cars anymore and hence they park it on the roads. I think this should not be a problem unless it is a regularly used road by motorists. The Municipality will also not fine car owners in colonies that do not have traffic at all.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
It's a MUST need in Chennai where people build 3000 Sqft individual house in 750 Sqft land & park 15L car on the streets; worst case occupy nearly half the road building a huge ramp for entry of car. Such people should be imposed fine mercilessly every single day until they find a permanent solution without causing nuisance to public.

Not sure if the same prevails in Bengaluru as well
I feel your pain, get this, on my street, I am the only one with parking inside my plot. And icing on the pain is a place of worship a couple of plots across, woe to me on a friday. I have missed office on a couple of days.
It's worse trying to come back home, there are times I hve stayed back to reach after a specific time slot.
Marshall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:33   #21
BHPian

A pathetic move by the government. They just want to squeeze more moolah from the common public.
In front of my house apartment residents park their cars outside most of the time outside just to save themselves from the hassle of parking in again. What will the authorities do then?
Also what about the haphazard parking of 2 wheelers, autos, taxis,mini buses of tour operators? Well no one will speak about that since they have the money power to dictate their terms and conditions.

Next to my house theirs an apartment which has illegally constructed 6 floors on meagre 2000 square feet plot, which 12 flats in total and parking for max 5 small cars. Rest of them park outside. Why doesn't the authorities penalise such illegal constructions?

Also I see new commercial buildings building basements but then giving it on lease to shop owners.
Problem with Bangalore authorities is that they love building castles in the air with poor level of implementation. eg: Bus lane/cycle on relatively narrow roads of Bangalore, white topping of roads, poor pace of metro construction (heck the Mysore road stretch is still under construction even after 4 years). The newspapers and politicians keep singing about e-bike rentals etc but then there's so much risk involved due to poor roads,Cars Buses and trucks running over 2 wheelers every now and then and the weather of Bangalore where it rains most part of the year from May to November-December.
Public transport is messed up in Bangalore, with overcrowded non A/C buses. Do you expect office goers to reach office/clients in a pitiable state with dress soiled with dirt and sweat and with visible tiredness (thanks to lack of seats in bus that forces one to stand throughout the journey).

But then the problem of congested road is real and I request the authorities to remove illegal shops and jugaad structures which occupy footpath and roads. I demand authorities to remove carts selling food items, small accessories from the roads which they illegally occupy.

End of rant.
Storm2.0 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I feel your pain
I've no pain boss; we live on a 50 meter wide road with individual houses located on either side; only 8/11 houses (including mine) own car & an apartment with bare sufficient car parking; all of us park our cars inside our compound & none on road. It's just one neighboring street of mine where I've a choice to ride/drive I said this.

Also if you take the MIG at Mogappair, West Annanagar, Sowcarpet interiors etc. situation is horrible. The alley is barely sufficient for a car to pass by & no cars in those streets escapes dents & scratches.

Last edited by aargee : 12th February 2021 at 13:00.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:50   #23

Quote:
It's a MUST need in Chennai where people build 3000 Sqft individual house in 750 Sqft land & park 15L car on the streets; worst case occupy nearly half the road building a huge ramp for entry of car. Such people should be imposed fine mercilessly every single day until they find a permanent solution without causing nuisance to public.

Not sure if the same prevails in Bengaluru as well
It's the same in Bengaluru as well. Unfortunately I have to park on the street as my landlord doesn't have parking space
Old 12th February 2021, 14:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The government is targeting those who built residences with no provision for parking and then use the access roads as free parking. Property taxes on this kind of land use is absolutely necessary, nobody has a right to free parking.
Free parking?
Inspite of paying road tax, tolls and even paid parking where applicable?

If a law exists which says residential structures must have ample parking, why does the Govt not rigorously implement the law?
Before you can occupy a property, you need a completion certificate which is issued by the local governing body. Part of the certification is to verify the property is built in compliance with all existing laws, including parking.
Why are the local authorities never held responsible, but the common tax payers always has to bear the brunt of the law?

And if such a law does not exist, then why harass the citizen willy nilly?
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've no pain boss; we live on a 50 meter wide road
50 meter or feet? Most main roads in bangalore are just 25m wide (80 feet).

Quote:
Part of the certification is to verify the property is built in compliance with all existing laws, including parking.
Why are the local authorities never held responsible, but the common tax payers always has to bear the brunt of the law?
This might be true for commercial buildings but there is no law stating that a residential house needs parking. But, there are laws that prevent parking on roads. So the govt can implement only this. Whether the intent is good or not is another topic.
Now, coming to the point about targeting common citizens, it is the responsibility of every citizen to follow rules and demand proper parking from the landlords and builders. Only when they start putting their foot down, there will be a change.
Stating my own personal experience, many years ago, I had a fight with a large IT company about their buses being parked in the middle of the road (documented on the forum somewhere). Many buildings in the area including mine didn't have sufficient parking and we also had to park on the road and these buses used to block other parked vehicles and preventing traffic movement for few hours every evening. The IT company got pissed and said if they can't park, nobody else should. So they had the cops make the entire area a no parking zone (It was not before). This forced all the smaller building guys also to take action and magically more parking slots appeared in all buildings.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Free parking?
Inspite of paying road tax, tolls and even paid parking where applicable?

If a law exists which says residential structures must have ample parking, why does the Govt not rigorously implement the law?
Before you can occupy a property, you need a completion certificate which is issued by the local governing body. Part of the certification is to verify the property is built in compliance with all existing laws, including parking.

And if such a law does not exist, then why harass the citizen willy nilly?
Road tax has nothing to do with parking, you don't have a right to park on the road because you paid road tax, technically it is for usage of public roads and a privilege.

I am not saying the system will be perfect, but you don't have any rights over public space to park your car. A common taxpayer will not be the victim of this, if you own rental property that doesn't have parking, you are doing pretty well. This targets mostly those who built over their residences to give out rent, have no parking, and plenty of off the books income. I don't know how these common tax dodgers are victims.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:19   #27
BHPian

If it can be well enforced, good move indeed.

However, knowing what I know; Seeing what I've seen; Experiencing what I've experienced...what most likely will happen is the avenues increasing for traffic police to make more money on the side! Where at one time they had to rely on waylaying motorists; now all they need do is knock on the doors and collect their (un)fair share in this structured loot / plunder!
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 18:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
50 meter or feet? Most main roads in bangalore are just 25m wide (80 feet)
It's 15 meters sorry
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 19:38   #29
BHPian

As someone who parks his car on the road, I wholeheartedly support this idea, many in my lane have more than 1 cars and no parking facilities inside their compound and park in the road, their cars gathering dust, many times when I take my car out and return, I do not find parking space, as someone would have parked their car and will not take it out till the next weekend.
Old 12th February 2021, 20:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
50 meter or feet? Most main roads in bangalore are just 25m wide (80 feet).
In HSR Layout and some North Bangalore areas, yes, in Indiranagar most residential roads are 10 feet wide, Viveknagar is about 5 feet wide, Koramangala is 10 ft as well, the lesser fortunate areas are measured in inches not feet.

As for this, its another in a long line of scams in the world's capital of corruption, Bangalore, not much else to say.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks