Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 20:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru residents to pay for parking outside their homes in some areas

A "praiseworthy"decision by the concerned politicians and bureaucrats to axe, tax and bleed the commoners, among softest targets on earth. A few of them may criticise, oppose and debate the decision now, but most likely will forget very soon by taking it into their stride. That's the way crooked decisions are swallowed in the gallons by commoners.

"Praiseworthy" because they ignore tax swindlers and tax crooks who are hard to book, be it local, state or central taxes. Booking them needs lots of brains and efforts. But taking such "praiseworthy" decisions don't require any!

So what next? A pollution or environmental tax if drops of spilled fuel or lubricating oils from the automobile are spotted in the parking space where such a tax paying vehicle is parked.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 20:21   #47
BHPian

This bill is highly diluted from the original provisions. Perhaps better to start with something . I am sure the government will slowly increase the fee, just on consideration of more revenue. A small percentage of law-abiding citizens will pay, others will simply ignore the law. After all most of the building constructed brazenly defy construction guidelines. How can we expect the people staying there to care for such provisions as parking?

Sorry for being a bit cynical. I have been living in this city for more than 20 years and made my home in this city. I love this city and I try to do my bit as well. I used to be actively involved in a community improvement programs and even now involved to a lesser extent. I have felt from my experience that there is a high level of collusion between corrupt officials and elected representatives in Bangalore. At times, I have wondered how this city still functions normally and how long can it sustain! Okay, enough of ranting!

I built a house (duplex house) with sufficient parking inside my premises. All the recent constructions have 4 and 5 floor complexes without enough parking. You can imagine my plight! Now the government legalizes roadside parking, make it very clear that they will collect the fee, but no way assures parking! For example, you pay for parking, but find your place take up by someone else. Do you have recourse to get that vehicle towed by calling some agency? I don’t think so.

As I stated earlier, I welcome this proposal. I hope this will discourage people buying more and more vehicles without any consideration for arranging parking space.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 13:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Great move by the government. Hope it's strictly enforced (which I highly doubt). It has become a norm to build ugly houses with 4-5 floors in 30x40 plots with zero provisions for parking vehicles.
Very Funny comment and absolutely right too. On a 60*40 site, we build a max of ground + first floor with the correct Floor Area Ratio and necessary setbacks, and then we find another guy blatantly violating it by building g+4 on 30*40 without leaving even an inch of space (even having the pillars on the boundary). Also, it has become a standard practice to build an extra illegal floor. Consequently, not only car parking, even water usage per square feet increase substantially..
kiranknair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 13:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

I think most of them are failing to see both sides of the issue. Some of them have rightly pointed what are the issues one has to go through.

There can be 2 major scenarios.
1. You have a property that complies with rules and you have your own parking. You dont have to pay anything, happy? You shouldn't be actually. You will have to bear with may be 3-4 neighbours cars parked in front of your home because they pay the fees and entitled to park anywhere on their street, not necessarily in front of their home. Also, encourages new buildings to be built with no or less parking space as street parking is very very cheap. For the proper law abiding citizen, they have to bear with all the clutter and congestion

2. Lot of congested areas, have little or no parking. Now with these laws and bit of corruption, lot more will buy cars with confidence and park every here and there. There will be very little place to drive on.
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 15:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Looks like people are assuming that, with this law enforced, by paying 1000 rs, people get birth right to park anywhere on the road.

No, government would not bring in such mindless rules. If you are parking your car in front of your house compound, on road, you would need to give rent only after registration process (probably). Else, it would be a major chaos like below sample scenarios

Some neighbour (4-5 houses apart) would pay 1000rs and start parking in front of my home to keep his house area neat and clean. I will go to court because I don't have parking place for my car on road. Government will also need to be a party because they have collected rent from neighbour

Second scenario:
I am a used car dealer and I have 15 cars and would pay 75000 rent and park all my cars on full length, both sides of the street and do my business from home. Where would other car owners park their cars?

There are several such scenarios and government will go mad in resolving those issues

Last edited by gkveda : 14th February 2021 at 15:12.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 17:25   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
10ft, 5 ft ? or metres ? even if metres 5 mts is still too low ! In feet it will be 30 ft or 40 ft normally
I always joke when talking about Bangalore, well, not as big of a joke as Bangalore being considered a tier-1 city, but you get the idea.

But seriously, there is no use when considering the size of the road as one house boundary wall to the opposite house boundary wall, about 3 feet is gone on storm water drain, another 3 feet for tree area plus a couple of feet for rocks, stones, rubbish AND errant parking etc, the amount of stray stones and cement powder you have in Bangalore , you can construct a new city with that. So that's effectively about 12-15 feet gone, that leaves roughly 10 feet in most roads in the favelas posing as residential colonies.

OK, back to the topic at hand, I've some information so that all speculation and to/for arguments can get back on track :

1) It's gonna take time, 6 months at a minimum, a year mostly.

2) A census will be taken soon, probably when the rounds for property tax evaluation starts again (a silent vigil is kept round the year).

3) Nothing is finalized YET, and I mean nothing, one thing is for sure that the authorities have to give clearance for EVERY car, and as I suspected, it's only a money spinning move for now, the lower rates will gradually triple, at the very minimum.

4) Any change due to this movement, in the form of either car buying reduction and/or provisioning for parking will take years if not a decade. Rs.5000 (max penalty) is also peanuts when comparing with alteration of construction.

5) Possibly, all payment will be connected to the bar-code for cars having them and possibly stickers will be given with the residential address of the car (although it's also being considered whether privacy is a matter of concern). ALL brainstorming are at their infancy.

Trust me, this move is way more complicated than it sounds, 2022 will be the most probable year for things moving forward.

Also, it appears to me that motorbikes, scooters and even worse, electric cycles and the 2 billion scooter rentals are conveniently exempt even though they are parked over flyovers, in front of gates, in the middle of roads, and on rooftops by their psychotic clientele.

Let the games, begin!

Last edited by dark.knight : 14th February 2021 at 17:29.
Old 14th February 2021, 17:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is bound to come with booming number of vehicles in a City. There is no way around this. Maybe the implementation might be late, but it will come. Bade Bade Deshon Mein, Choti Choti Baatein To Hoti Rehti Hain (DDLJ) . It is also common for cities abroad to have this kind of parking charges, though they do have excellent public transport infrastructure (last mile connectivity) which can be availed any time of the day.

One thing I have always wondered is how one can hold Functions/Parties in the future ? Maybe allocate a parking ground for such functions and dedicate a shuttle bus service
Old 14th February 2021, 18:54   #53
BHPian

Such a policy was suggested in Mumbai in the lane i live. Its an heritage precint so the BMC asked us for details of vehicles and cars per flat etc. The problem with this set up in my opinion (proposal was for 1 car per flat) is that technically 24 hours that parking slot if allotted to me is mine, however if i were to go out, someone else comes parks there and doesnt move for 2-3 days then BMC cannot take any action against such person. Now how do i make sure that no one else parks in this spot and it is open for me whenever i come back ? This is one of the major concerns that we all had. Also in my lane there are few people who have 11 cars or 7 cars which family members are 4. A better approach in my opinion would be for BMC to purchase one building plot per area demolish it and make a parking lot which could house maybe a few hundred cars which slots are then given on rent to these flat owners only of that area. I think thats a more logical solution for the problem that will balloon up. However also people who have only 1 car would feel that they are unnecessarily have to pay higher charges for someone who has 7 or 11 cars.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 20:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

What if I'm visiting a friend and am parked on his street. Will I get fined then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Looks like people are assuming that, with this law enforced, by paying 1000 rs, people get birth right to park anywhere on the road. No, government would not bring in such mindless rules. If you are parking your car in front of your house compound, on road, you would need to give rent only after registration process (probably). Else, it would be a major chaos like below sample scenarios
Old 14th February 2021, 22:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Some residents in Bangalore (not sure if it is limited to Bangalore alone) also have the habit of encroaching the footpath in front of their house. They have different methods to establish their authority. Some extend the nice tiled pavement so that it doesn't look like a public space anymore and the footpath users will feel uncomfortable using them. Others are more brazen and they block two ends of the footpath with plants and garden. Hope this also will be addressed.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
What if I'm visiting a friend and am parked on his street. Will I get fined then?
Yes, If I see this gets implemented in totality like in European countries, you will have to search a public parking near your friends place and park it, cannot just go in front of his house and park it.

But I doubt it will be implemented in such a strict way, maybe in streets where traffic flows, might ignore streets where not much traffic of vehicles pass. Or could get implemented incrementally over next few years.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks