Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 20:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru residents to pay for parking outside their homes in some areas

IMO this is much better than what was anticipated by most residents!

6 of the recently constructed (4 units of G+3 & 2 units of G+4) neighbouring houses where I live have reserved the entire ground floor as stilt for parking. This is despite the layout (formed 60yrs ago) roads being 30ft wide.

If for a few grand a year, we will be able to righteously park our cars in front of our house, guilt free, IMHO its NO big deal.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 12th February 2021 at 21:07. Reason: Correcting "No the big deal" to *No big deal".
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 20:59   #32
BHPian

I used to stay on rent in a 30X40 site ground floor with 2 wheeler parking only and my 3rd hand Maruti 800 AC was kept outside on the road in layout, however while buying my home I preferred an apartment with dedicated basement parking as I loved my cars did not want to keep it outside at the mercy of traffic to damage then sold the Maruti 800 got brand new Fiat Palio Stile Multijet then sold and got Baleno CVT now

Better to stay in a gated community layout or an apartment complex with dedicated car parking space only instead of paying for on road car parking in independent houses with no place to park inside with 3-4 floors constructed for rental incomes
amarprusty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 21:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
In HSR Layout and some North Bangalore areas, yes, in Indiranagar most residential roads are 10 feet wide, Viveknagar is about 5 feet wide, Koramangala is 10 ft as well, the lesser fortunate areas are measured in inches not feet.

As for this, its another in a long line of scams in the world's capital of corruption, Bangalore, not much else to say.
10ft, 5 ft ? or metres ? even if metres 5 mts is still too low ! In feet it will be 30 ft or 40 ft normally
Old 12th February 2021, 21:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
I loved my cars did not want to keep it outside at the mercy of traffic to damage
Not just damage by traffic, When I was still bachelor had Maruti Zen and was renting small house with no parking inside, had to park it outside on the side of road, roads were big in Indiranagar. But every morning I used to get-up and see car is still there or stolen.
After that I rented apartments with parking, and later bought a apartment with two parking, so I never had to park my car outside.
Old 12th February 2021, 22:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

I disagree to the point that it is a good move. Per my opinion, This is only a move to generate more revenue to government. Any person who owns a car for 4-5 lakhs Rs, won't mind giving 1000 rupees per year as rent for outside parking.

Knowing this, government has created another additional way to generate revenue.

But, after collecting rent from the owners, will government also own the responsibility of protecting cars from strangers and thefts? For instance, in a pay and park facilities, a security guard would be appointed to look after the cars parked in the building.

Can we expect some security at least one or two per street after paying the rent?

Without any such facilities, if they just aim at collection of rent, I see this as another initiative to loot people similar to
1. Collecting heavy road tax and increasing it to 15% without rational.
2. Increasing traffic fines by 3x to 5x
3. Increasing traffic checks and interceptors in every road corner with an objective of collecting more fines for violating rules.
4. Prohibition of slightest modification and levying fines on TBHP stickers

Etc

Last edited by gkveda : 12th February 2021 at 22:31.
gkveda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 22:41   #36
BHPian

The authorities are champions amongst cheats/frauds. This only helps them fill their pockets and nothing else. And Boy! They love to apply laws retrospectively. They could have enforced this for newly constructed buildings. Plan approval is provided only if car park exists(enforcement is a different story though).
Till now, if somebody parked infront of my gate(not house,Gate!!), I would demand them to remove their vehicles. Now they will argue that they have paid for parking.Its another matter that I'll still get them moved :-D but it's extra effort on my part.
akhil_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 23:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
If it can be well enforced, good move indeed.

However, knowing what I know; Seeing what I've seen; Experiencing what I've experienced...what most likely will happen is the avenues increasing for traffic police to make more money on the side!
Even then it is good. Let these people face the heat for grabbing commons and obstructing free flow of traffic. Then they will understand why it is important to follow rules.

Something like wearing helmet. You may not wear it and pay bribe but for how long?
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 23:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Road Tax is for the right to drive on the road, not park.

I think the only solution is overnight parking permits for areas with congested streets. This way, the newer constructions would be less tempted to violate FSI and build parking within the structure. My only request to the government: Make getting guest parking tags an easy online process.

Knowing the Gov of Karnataka:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As for this, its another in a long line of scams in the world's capital of corruption, Bangalore, not much else to say.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th February 2021 at 23:54.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

How will this work for visitors who wish to park for a few days at a friend's or relative's place?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 11:54   #40

Absolutely agree with Ajmat.
If strictly enforced and managed, its very good income to usually cash-strapped Govt. agencies.
Old 13th February 2021, 12:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The tax we pay is road tax, that covers next to nothing except creating more revenue for the government, any usable road in Karnataka is a toll road. The government is targeting those who built residences with no provision for parking and then use the access roads as free parking. Property taxes on this kind of land use is absolutely necessary, nobody has a right to free parking.

This might sound unfair, but if you don't have parking, you shouldn't get a car otherwise you pay for the land that you utilise. Worst case scenario, parking like this prevents emergency services from reaching houses. The worst offenders in this are the posh layouts, which were created with government subsidies, if they built without parking, they should be forced to sell their cars or build a parking facility inside the house.

So how does it work in London - a place which was built for horses etc. Well parking is pretty expensive hence a decent public transport system. Cars are discouraged due to congestion charging so you only see high end cars. Residents do get concession.

Coming to parking.

Offstreet - Either the apartment has parking if newer or you pay for parking in a parking garage. Similarly in New York, you pay for parking - my uncle in Manhattan has a parking garage attached to the apartment. He drives in and the attendant takes the car off him and parks. He pays $500 per month for this.

On Street - You buy a permit from the council. You need to present proof of residence and ownership/custody. The council provides defined areas for residents to park. Some cases, only residents can park.

In outer London, street parking is free BUT, they have conditions like between 4-6PM, only residents can park but weekends are free, so residents still need to pay for the permit. Or some zones have resident parking only during the week. Especially near Tube Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
How will this work for visitors who wish to park for a few days at a friend's or relative's place?
Residents are issued coupon books at a cost. You simply fill in the car number and duration of parking and display in the windscreen. The coupon has serial numbers so can be traced to resident.Also works if you are using a different car etc.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 14:54   #42
BHPian

One more menace in Bangalore is the abundance of junk/ orphaned cars lying around (police stations included). I hope that authorities take cognizance of these vehicles also and sell it in scrap to generate their target revenue.
The around a neighborhood police station is as much public as any other area around the neighborhood.

If a law is being applied, they better apply it equally and come down really hard on everyone including Corporators who have a convoy of Innovas parked outside their bungalows and washed on public roads everyday along with other expensive cars Mini Cooper, BMWs, Mercs etc.
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 15:37   #43
BHPian

I'd say it's a half hearted move by the government and another way to squeeze money from the common man. Already the ones who own a car are paying EMI+Insurance every year(18%GST is added)+ Road tax(almost at 20% vehicle cost for 15 years. This is one time in KA though)+ Tyres wear out faster on these roads(28% GST on buying a new tyre and no imported tyres as well)

If the intent of the government is to promote public transport, first they need to ensure that there are ample public transport options widely available across the city. At present, Bangalore is catching up very slowly with metro and suburban rail. Buses are not frequent in 70% of the areas in the city and the bus fares are one of the highest in the country(A Volvo from E-ciry to Airport Costs about 350-400, for the same distance in Kolkata in a Volvo, the cost is 50-70 rupees, despite similar fuel prices) .Getting to the airport is another deal itself because the taxi fare is half the flight cost itself. What about people who stay in the satellite towns( say Kengeri, Carmelaram, Sarjapura or Medahalli)with no connectivity and are left at the mercy of autos and cabs.

To top it all, half the city's roads are being cemented or dug up for some XYZ reason. Let them fix all these issues first and build a proper infrastructure for roads and parking and then they can think about permits.In a place where alloy wheels are stolen overnight, who can be held accountable then?

If the process is transparent, easy to apply by anyone within any third party, straightforward and has complete coordination with the traffic police, then it will work. Another suggestion is that for every area, the government can assign a designated parking area and then charge owners accordingly (Ex: Public parking lot building atop Shivajinagar bus stand or the parking complex in NC road).

There have been several instances where the traffic police will just lift your car or bike without even announcing or if there's no parking board and they charge about 1,600 for two wheeler and 2.2k for cars to release the vehicle.This also needs to be addressed in the permit then.

OT and sorry for nitpicking. I'll give you all two examples of how things work related to government services in Bangalore:
1. I've paid a 6 digit sum for obtaining cauvery water and sanitation connection for my building and we hardly get water for 15-20 min that too once a week or sometimes we don't get at alland still pay a bill for it and still we're dependent on private water tankers
2. Recently I had to clear the hypothecation for my car and the process is part online and part we need to go to the RTO even after submitting all the forms and documents online(there are agents near the RTO itself who charge thrice the actual amount). For a simple task such as hypothecation removal, these people are making it complicated.

Last edited by jithin23 : 13th February 2021 at 15:44.
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 17:03   #44
BHPian

Parking on narrow roads outside homes is a big problem I see in Chandigarh as well. And even leaving the ground floor for parking (only possible in new buildings after govt allows building 4 floors instead of 3) might not be enough, because a 3 floor structure, housing 3 families can have anywhere between 6-10 cars between them.
Most of the apartment complexes that came up in Chandigarh thankfully, have left the ground floor for parking, but that still isn't enough. For a city like Chandigarh, it is still possible to build multi-level car parks for every few blocks by sacrificing a few of the parks.
In India, real estate has always been pretty expensive and then the planning commission rules don't allow for full occupation of the plot and hence parking place is always given the least preference when designing a house. The cheapest way to maximize parking space inside the premises would be to install one (or two, if you have enough space) of the parking lifts we see at malls as they instantly doubles one's parking space.
Old 13th February 2021, 19:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

This is a ridiculous move. Please will feel like they have a 'right' to park anywhere in the street. More and more people will start parking on the streets now. The prescribed fees is too little.

Rules to not allow parking on streets at all is the need of the hour in Bangalore. All roads are overly congested and cars and bikes parked everywhere. In recent years, I have completely lost pleasure of driving within city and switched to riding 2-wheelers.

Last edited by funkykar : 13th February 2021 at 19:59.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks