Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 16:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru residents to pay for parking outside their homes in some areas

Roadside parking will attract annual charges as per this report.

Pay up to Rs 5,000/yr to park in front of your house.

Quote:
As per the policy, parking in front of one’s home will be allowed only after obtaining an annual permit. The government has fixed Rs 1,000 per year for small cars, Rs 3,000 to Rs 4,000 for medium cars and Rs 5,000 for MUVs and SUVs for residential parking permits.
airbus is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Bengaluru gets new parking policy, roadside parking gets expensive Link

Quote:
Roadside parking in Bengaluru is set to get costlier as the Karnataka government has approved a new parking policy for the city. The Karnataka Urban Development Department has accepted the draft policy framed by the Directorate of Urban Land Transport (DULT) that aims at decongesting and doing away with haphazard parking on Bengaluru’s roads, and to ease up road space for the seamless movement of people and vehicles.

Proposal is to charge ₹1,000 for Small Cars, ₹3000-₹4000 for Larger Cars and ₹5000 for SUV/MUV on an annual basis
vsrivatsa is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Proposal is to charge ₹1,000 for Small Cars, ₹3000-₹4000 for Larger Cars and ₹5000 for SUV/MUV on an annual basis
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Roadside parking will attract annual charges as per this report.
Super, can I recover this amount from my neighbors?! Since we're one of only 3 houses in our small street that has parking inside, the neighbors who don't have parking inside their houses or happily bought two cars each, happily park their cars outside our house, "since we're not using that space anyway."

Anyone has any idea how this new parking proposal will handle visitor parking? Say someone comes to visit and parks outside the house they are visiting (or in our case, in front of our house when they visit one of our neighbors!)

Last edited by am1m : 11th February 2021 at 18:26.
am1m is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 21:59   #4

Bengaluru residents to pay for parking outside their homes in some areas

New parking policy seeks to adopt a pay-and-park system for residents who park outside their homes in few areas of the city.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...pensive-143199
shreyaskr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 07:05   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bengaluru residents to pay for parking outside their homes in some areas

Thread moved to Street Experiences! Thanks for sharing.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 07:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

This move is most required right now. Easy emi's and cheap options in the used car market have led to households owning multiple cars, with zero parking space inside the premises. The cars pile up outside and disrupt vehicular movement. But I think this will be challenged in court because, just on my street I can count about 50 cars lining both sides of the street. Where will these cars go?
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

As the population grows of both people and cars it is only natural that car owners who are occupying a disproportionate volume of precious road space be charged for their use of a precious Govt provided infrastructure. This was not an issue 60 years ago or even 35 years ago when these roads were built and the town planning layout of the locality finalized. The car owning explosion could not be foreseen at a time when owning a scooter was a luxury with a wait list. As the owner of three cars I fully endorse this move. Like it or not when we use a disproportionate quantum of a scarce commodity we will sooner or later end up paying for it. I am surprised that in India water is still so cheap for the upper classes while the urban slum dweller pays for it by the bucket {those who wish to argue on this point, request you please read up on the subject}.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 12th February 2021 at 08:09.
V.Narayan is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:23   #8
BHPian

Right move. We are already battling for road space with an exponential increase of motorists. These cars parked on roads are additional menace. It’s a public property and no one has right to enjoy it for their personal requirements.

The first discussion/thought that should come before buying the car is “ Where am I going to park it?” Price and what car are next in discussion.

Call me paranoid, the very first question that I ask for any invitation is “Does that place have ample car parking?” I’m not parking on road and I’m not coming if it doesn’t have. Parking for couple of hours is a NO and parking it for life time is a BIG NO
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

So now we can see 2 cars passing each other in opposite directions inside a residential layout without really folding their mirrors. The garbage collection van won't have to struggle like before.

Also, the architects who design houses need to undergo a crash course on how to include parking spot for cars within the perimeter of the land area on which house is to be built.

This is too good to be true and I hope this gets implemented, to some real serious levels.

All in all, a welcome move as long as it sustains and doesn't succumb to the pressure tactics of who's who right from the local politician, the car dealers, the transport department and so on. After all, the revenues must not drop for any stakeholders here.
paragsachania is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:35   #10
BHPian

Good move by the govt. Hope it succeeds somewhat to make awareness and deter a potential car buyer who does not have his own parking space.

It became such a menace that some people even started painting the wall adjacent to the footpath with something like parking space is reserved for xxx

Last edited by fordday : 12th February 2021 at 08:36. Reason: added info
fordday is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 09:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good move by the government. As someone who undergoes the inconvenience due to other cars on the street everyday, I welcome this move. However, I am skeptical about the implementation of this policy.

Get this- My neighbor constructed a 4 story building with 6 houses but made space only to park 5 nos of scooter/bikes in the ground floor. Two of the tenants have a car each and one tenant has a tempo traveler. I struggle daily to take my car out of the compound and park it back in because one or the other car would be blocking my access by encroaching on the road! I know this policy will not be enforced on interior roads of residential areas. How I wish they could enforce the rule even for interior roads!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th February 2021 at 09:06.
sagarpadaki is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 09:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Get this- My neighbor constructed a 4 story building with 6 houses but made space only to park 5 nos of scooter/bikes in the ground floor. Two of the tenants have a car each and one tenant has a tempo traveler. I struggle daily to take my car out of the compound and park it back in because one or the other car would be blocking my access by encroaching on the road! I know this policy will not be enforced on interior roads of residential areas. How I wish they could enforce the rule even for interior roads!
Great in principle but enforcement in areas where the local Corporator is the local Don will never happen.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 09:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great move by the government. Hope it's strictly enforced (which I highly doubt). It has become a norm to build ugly houses with 4-5 floors in 30x40 plots with zero provisions for parking vehicles. Every tenant of such houses will have at least a car and couple of two wheelers. Bangalore was once know to have beautiful independent houses/villas which had adequate space to park vehicles inside the compound and it's disheartening to see the new kind of ugly rectangular structures mushroom all over the city. Even tiny plots used to have cute independent houses which had space to park a small car. I just took a metro train ride few weeks back from which one can get the areal view of the city and the entire city looks like a giant slum with such ugly 4-5 floor houses dotting the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Great in principle but enforcement in areas where the local Corporator is the local Don will never happen.
I doubt if there is any area where a local Corporator is not a local Don.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 12th February 2021 at 09:36.
guyfrmblr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 09:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

It's a MUST need in Chennai where people build 3000 Sqft individual house in 750 Sqft land & park 15L car on the streets; worst case occupy nearly half the road building a huge ramp for entry of car. Such people should be imposed fine mercilessly every single day until they find a permanent solution without causing nuisance to public.

Not sure if the same prevails in Bengaluru as well
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Great move by the government. Hope it's strictly enforced (which I highly doubt). It has become a norm to build ugly houses with 4-5 floors in 30x40 plots with zero provisions for parking vehicles.
Agree with you, Hope some rules are also applied while permitting such buildings also by BBMP, no parking place no permit.

Even for parking outside home, parking to be marked and permit given for a year only if there is no obstruction to vehicles plying on the road. Else regularizing current road side parking wont solve anything, just more income to BBMP.

DULT is doing good job implementing Buslane, Cycle track, etc. Hope they implement parking policy well also.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks