Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2021, 17:36   #61
BHPian

Re: CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
If stolen vehicle is recovered after my purchase then it will be a bummer for me.
If the vehicle is recovered, it becomes the property of the insurance company. During the final settlement, you have to sign a document waiving off the rights to your vehicle

From your post, understood that Insured Declared Value (IDV) is 13 lakhs. Insurance company has to pay full IDV after deducting compulsory excess. (Normally in the range of Rs 2000)

Procedure for receiving claim from insurance from police formalities perspective:

1) Lodge FIR (First Information Report) within reasonable time.
2) Police will issue Final information report with non traceable report after a reasonable time (varies from 1 month to 3 months)
3) with both of these police formalities should be taken care of

Off Topic: Why don't you consider the Marazzo ? Or a used BRV CVT ?
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 10:25   #62
BHPian

Dinesh, I am sorry to hear about your loss.
Delhi always had this reputation of spurt in SUV (Safari, Scorpio, etc) thefts during election season. Even during the 90s, when I was posted to Delhi, this was the seasonal thing - come election time and we had this sudden increase in SUV thefts. The Innova is of course a natural addition to this list for obvious reasons.

The gang members in the Baleno in the CCTV record appeared to have very clearly come prepped to take your vehicle specifically. Despite all that as you clearly stated it still took them about 7 minutes after entry to get past the engine immobiliser.

I notice that you have stated that the vehicle has a Sikkim registration number. Sikkim being a neighbouring state of West Bengal , your vehicle plying there on election duty for the local candidates may not be even given a second glance. Whereas a DL plate on a vehicle plying in the villages there is bound to stand out.

That being said, I sincerely hope you are able to get that vehicle back in good shape.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:44   #63
BHPian

Shocking if these can be broken so easily. Just shows the cops are not serious in catching these guys.

Below you can see how a non-smart way of break in is being done

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/81469794.cms

Access through the front tyre to unlock is one of the ways how the service centre guys opened up my car when I had locked it with the keys inside.

Best way is to install a hidden kill switch as shown in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Don't all modern cars come with 'transponder' chip built in to the key? Even if someone manages to start the car, it should die within few minutes.
my car just uses the transponder to start once it starts it just warns if the key is away from the car (blinking key on the dashboard) but car works normally till you shut down.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th March 2021 at 12:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
pandabear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:04   #64

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
I am planning to book Adventure edition of ZA+ in 1-2 days, I have been quoted 95K for insurance. However I have been quoted 73K by HDFC Ergo inclusive of engine protect. Dealership I visited in Delhi has no issues with outside insurance.

I am in market without any research as my Innova Crysta got stolen (CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi) few days back. Any insight in maintenance issues I might face in future will be highly helpful. I have had made up mind but many close one warns me that I might have horrid maintenance issue with Tata.
Hey Dinesh! Sorry about your car getting stolen. Something extremely strange happened with me. When I saw your post on 10-Mar at night, I kept thinking about how easy it was to steal a car.

I kept checking my own CCTV out of sheer anxiety that night. At 2:40 am, I heard a car stop outside my house. In the CCTV, I saw a blue Baleno in the middle of the road stopped right next to my car and the co-passenger was peeping inside using a flashlight. I went outside in the balcony, and he quickly sat inside Baleno and drove away. I'm not sure if they saw me.

I came inside, switched off the lights and sat infront of the CCTV. After about 15-20 minutes, the same car came and parked on the side. The co-passenger got out, walked towards my car and inserted something in the key hole. I ran outside and shouted at him. He quickly ran towards the Baleno, got in and zoomed away. It was a miracle that I managed to save my car.

I got the Baleno's registration number from the footage and shared it with Delhi Police. Let's see if something happens!

This is my first post here, and if it's irrelevant or against any rule, please feel free to remove it. I created an account to share this incredible incident.

Cheers!
akki_kap is offline   (95) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:47   #65
BHPian

Sorry for your loss , here in UK there has been an increase in keyless variants especially BMW & Mercs being stolen and having watched cctv footage of couple being stolen in our locality it's actually a 2 mins job . They usually work in pairs whilst one is at the car the other has some sort of scanning equipment in a backpack and scans your house whilst stood by the entrance door. Simple deterrent is a faraday pouch as this stops the signals being transmitted from your key , I personally use a faraday box to store my merc keys and having a video doorbell with perimeter alarm ( Ring Doorbell ) and a cctv covering my driveway gives me peace of mind
vickzkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 22:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this incident with us. Really happy to know that you could save your car from those thieves by being so watchful and alert.

Also great to know that finally somebody could get some lead on them and shared it to the police. I'm pretty sure that the Baleno that they used itself must be a stolen one. But just I hope the Delhi Police can nab those criminals soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki_kap View Post
I got the Baleno's registration number from the footage and shared it with Delhi Police. Let's see if something happens!
Cheers!
sridhar24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:28   #67
HKP
BHPian

This is really a big risk for keyless ignition! Thanks to everyone for the ideas and discussion.

Someone on Youtube suggests wrapping the keys in aluminum foil (!) to avoid someone coming close to our home and capturing, amplifying, and transmitting the signals from the keys to the parking lot. I want to test if it works, by wrapping it and going to the car like how he says in the video. A DIY faraday pouch can be made by using a leather bag\wooden key box lined with foil if this works :-)

\\hkp
Old 16th March 2021, 07:20   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I ran outside and shouted at him.
Glad it ended alright for you, but please don't run outside. Make all the noise from your home / balcony / window. Thieves in many cases have other criminal backgrounds, and they are used to physical assault. My Mom once told me of a dude who saw thieves flicking out his car stereo early in the morning. He ran down, shouting at them. They stabbed him with a screwdriver in the stomach and ran away. IIRC, poor fellow died.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

I once saw a car thief caught in Mumbai, in broad daylight. Seeing the crowds baying for his blood, he put a razor blade to his own neck - threatening to cut the vein if anybody touched him. Needless to say, looking at his determination to end his life - people gave him a safe passage out of there. They know every aggressive trick in the book.
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 00:11   #70
BHPian

We ae talking about Geo fencing, GPS location etc. Even if the vehicle is traced, usually it would be in some place in UP, Bihar, Jharkhand, North East etc. No policeman will dare go to other states especially the notorious ones to recover a car. And the local police won't send an armed platoon to recover a car unlike they do when they go out to arrest some bigwig.

Cars should always be secured with mechanical devices. Any smart device can be and will be hacked. There are key vendors in every nook and corner in the city who make duplicate smart keys. Then why do we assume the thieves can't learn the same tricks.
low_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Dinesh! Sorry about your car getting stolen. Something extremely strange happened with me. When I saw your post on 10-Mar at night, I kept thinking about how easy it was to steal a car.

Hey Man! I'm glad you and your car are safe. Hope the cops make the most of your efforts. Do you mind sharing which part of Delhi do you live in? Will help tenants and potential home buyers like me assess localities from a safety point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
Simple deterrent is a faraday pouch as this stops the signals being transmitted from your key , I personally use a faraday box to store my merc keys and having a video doorbell with perimeter alarm ( Ring Doorbell ) and a cctv covering my driveway gives me peace of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
. I want to test if it works, by wrapping it and going to the car like how he says in the video. A DIY faraday pouch can be made by using a leather bag\wooden key box lined with foil if this works :-)

\\hkp
Hey guys the easiest solution is to use a copper dabba. Here's a detailed thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ntry-cars.html (Using a copper 'dabba' to prevent theft of keyless entry cars)
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 14:16   #72
BHPian

It has been about 25 days since the theft of my vehicle. Collecting documents from RTO and financer has been tedious and slow. I foreclosed the loan and now awaiting Non-trace report from the police.

Previously I was told by the IO then I would receive an SMS from Delhi Police about the non-traceability of the vehicle after 21 days of filing of FIR. Now he is not sure. So I am struck. He says that he cannot do anything as the message is system generated from Kamala Market police station. After that the report is summited before the magistrate and he issues the final "Non-trace "report.

Anybody knows something to expediate this non-trace report? It will help me a lot.

I am veering towards booking another Innova Crysta, so little expeditious claim settlement would be quite helpful.
dinesha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 15:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Previously I was told by the IO then I would receive an SMS from Delhi Police about the non-traceability of the vehicle after 21 days of filing of FIR. Now he is not sure. So I am struck. He says that he cannot do anything as the message is system generated from Kamala Market police station. After that the report is summited before the magistrate and he issues the final "Non-trace "report.
Non traceable reports in a property theft case reflect against the police station’s statistics presented before their superiors. So especially for more expensive stolen goods (eg a stolen Crysta top end rather than a stolen rusty Activa) the cops may delay several months before they file paperwork in the relevant court and issue the non traceable report.

For my five year old Scorpio which had an IDV of around 9 lakhs it took six months to issue the non traceable report.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:49   #74
BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/phd-scholar-f...scorpio-creta/

@dinesha, Yours could be one of the 300....
Old 2nd July 2021, 21:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the theft of your car. I hope you get the car back or at least get the insurance claim settled fast. Any progress in the investigation?

Quote:
Hey Dinesh! Sorry about your car getting stolen. Something extremely strange happened with me.
In this post, akki_kap said he had shared the registration number of a blue Baleno, which tried to steal his car unsuccessfully on 10th March. Did this lead to any progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of your family member.

A few years ago in Mumbai i was sitting with my friend under his house and we were parking his Civic inside his garage and his Innova outside a police man on his late night rounds stopped and told us to park the Innova inside and Civic outside.

Eventually we did that but it was quite hilarious...
Policeman's advice made sense IMO. Innova being a popular car (easily re-sold too) compared to Civic, is more prone to theft.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 2nd July 2021 at 22:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks