Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2022, 17:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?

@GTO: Don't you think parking a scooter there is just inviting others to park alongside it?

Signs like "You are on CCTV" " Will be towed away" etc will help?
deathwalkr is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 18:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Parking something right on the road would invite the tow truck right? How is the owner's vehicle exempt in that case? A security guard should do the trick but again no human can have eyes all round the clock. So, some cones and a chain may help I guess.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Parking something right on the road would invite the tow truck right?
Towing applies only if it is a "No Parking" zone. No where it has been mentioned that it is a no-parking infront of GTO's house. The problem is someone Parking blocking the gate.
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:20   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Any ideas? I actually spoke with Crazy_Driver about buying a cheap motorcycle that's hard to move and parking it on the gate.

Here's what my bro did for a couple of weeks. Parked a cheap scooter + stones on his gate, so no one blocks it. Worked like a charm. Is this the best solution? Or is there something better / more convenient?
Attachment 2367906
Please buy either a mechanically OK but doddering cheap, second hand Maruti Esteem/Baleno Sedan or a Renault Logan/Verito or Chevrolet Aveo or any other mid size car for around Rs 40-50 K or less. Please only see that it starts and stops as desired. This can be parked at the gate and the CRAZY DRIVER suggested scooter at a middle distance alongside your compound wall. This ensures two car spaces for you, one in front of the gate and the other alongside your compound wall. Please ensure that when you remove the CRAZY DRIVER suggested scooter, enough space is left to drive and shift the doddering car alongside your compound wall. The scooter can be parked inside the compound and your car can exit gracefully. This process can be adapted whenever there's such a "Party". At other times, the doddering car could be parked alongside the compound wall. Hence, you will need a doddering car in addition to the scooter.

But you need to ensure that the doddering car's mechanicals and electricals are perfect so that it moves whenever it is ordered to ! Else, it can play spoilsport. Also we can have a thread here dedicated to the doddering car's details and the selfless services rendered.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th October 2022 at 19:25.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:40   #35
Team-BHP Support

After a 'darshini restaurant' opened next door, I just park my own car infont of the gate. So there is never a problem taking out any of the cars:

Name:  IMG_0047.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  73.7 KB
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:49   #36
BHPian

Your Jeep has a metal bumper right? Sometimes the solution is hidden in plain sight.

On a serious note, do check out plastic barriers used at toll gates etc. Easy to move, will last a long time and nobody messes with those.
Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-4a93e233e95c429e82dc5dfff30f49b2.jpeg

Last edited by revsperminute : 14th October 2022 at 19:53.
revsperminute is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:55   #37
BHPian

This expandable road safety barrier looks handy and would do the trick.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B08SVY5QWJ/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#

Image courtesy: respective owner
Attached Images

Last edited by corvus corax : 14th October 2022 at 19:58.
corvus corax is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 01:03   #38
BHPian

Cheapest and best solution i can think of: Yellow paint and a chap to paint this
Name:  Screenshot_20221015005821.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  123.7 KB

Getting this painted with words like "No parking", "Towing zone" "Entry/exit" etc should deter most of them. Will just need to repaint occasionally and make sure its BRIGHT YELLOW!
PrasadS is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 10:04   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Cones work, but they don't last long. The chains in them are stolen by scrap pickers.

You can also use a security IP camera with flashing led lights and speaker in built, which has pre recored messages like " No parking" or custom user recorded messages.

Like Dahua TIOC 2.0 series, in cctv industry its called active deterance camera.

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/produc...chnologies/902

The audio warning can also be disabled for just led flashing, should it cause a noise pollution to neighbors.

Last edited by aim120 : 15th October 2022 at 10:08.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 11:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Have two sets of gate shutters. First shutter remains closed, which you probably already have. The second shutter is a dummy which is swung to semi open position to make it look like someone to forgot to close the gate. Make it very painful (be creative) and noisy to close the shutter to prevent any hardcore idiots who get off their car to close the gate. This second shutter purpose is only to take up space on the road to prevent parking without looking like you are deliberately obstructing use of public road.
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:25   #41
BHPian

A genuine problem, but all solutions proposed, barring the marking of the approach are probably illegal.

Reminds me of this thread where the OP was called out for encroaching on the footpath (although the OP claimed he owned the land in question).
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5288466 (Parking space is small, need advice on gate extension)

We have this problem whenever a neighbor invites a whole bunch of people for parties. On occasion, have had to park my car out on in the neighborhood, because the approach was blocked and the guilty party was, well, partying.
The people involved were not unruly at all, just a tad uncivil and anxious to get to the party :-)
When told to park properly, they always did. But that would need someone to monitor.
Also, post the tightening on checks for DUI, most bring their drivers, who can be requested to move on.

What eventually worked was, once we heard the music starting up in the evening, to put our vehicle out on the road reserving the approach.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 15:12   #42
BHPian

Hi GTO,

I have following ideas in mind:

1) In addition to scooty, you can buy a used bike/scooty that serves as a second vehicle instead of placing huge stones. The benefit is that you can park 2 vehicles in such a way that an outsider won't be able to park in any way. Or you can continue using scooty + huge stones if it serves the purpose well. Few people who are really desperate to park may move scooty & huge stones away so as to have little parking space to adjust to. But with 2 scooty, I don't think anyone will be willing to move 2 of them. Quite a difficult task.

2) You can use your beater car "Nissan Sunny" parked outside the gate. Even if Nissan Sunny is in use, then, you can still use your scooty to park in place of it.

3) Install a board with good color contrast with the text "No Parking in front of this Gate. Tow-away zone" Or "No Parking in front of this Gate. You are on CCTV. Tow-away zone". One thing you need to confirm is whether is it legal to use the text "Tow-away zone". Is that phrase only be used by police department?

4) Make use of yellow reflective tapes so as to alert outsiders of the "No Parking Area".

5) You can also paint the concrete in yellow color with "No Parking" painted. Now, I do not know whether it is legal to do this.
Few examples you can see from this Google Search link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=no+p...ih=539&dpr=1.5

6) Ideas for No Parking boards installed on gates:
https://www.google.com/search?q=no+p...nt=firefox-b-d

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 15th October 2022 at 15:19. Reason: Addition of new points with minor formatting.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 15:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

You could place two large garbage cans like below near the gate making it difficult for anyone to park their car between them. The cans could be chained to the gate or fence to prevent them from being moved/stolen. In general people do not like to touch garbage bins so they may not try to move them around.

Name:  MA.BI.1565257_1663913267945.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  167.5 KB
sumeethaldankar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 16:25   #44
BHPian

One of my friends also faces the same problem as his home is near a restaurant and he has taken the following steps -
1. No parking and tow-away Zone board on the gate.
2. Warning that all four tyres will be deflated and the owner of the parked vehicle is responsible for it. (He has done it many times)
3. He has unofficially made a pact with the cops so used to call them whenever a vehicle would be parked. They would happily tow it away as they also had targets to achieve.

Hope this helps.
ACMerchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:25   #45
BHPian

After trying many ways to solve the problem, my cousin has ended up parking his own cars in front of his gate. His cars go inside the gate only late in the night around 11 and are back out by 7. Ofcourse this is not fool proof either as he when he heads out and comes back he finds some moron or the other parked in front of the gate.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks