Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 09:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
One of my friends also faces the same problem as his home is near a restaurant and he has taken the following steps -

Hope this helps.
After all these Gentlemen ways, when still faced with the same dilemma, demonic forces take control of the Gentleman.
Eventually, one succumbs to destructive mode and takes all evil steps.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 10:08   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the best 'legal' way is still to employ a security, who verbally tells people not to park in the specified area.

If verbally telling people from one's own house wont work, I'm not sure if painting or speakers or any signs will work.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 10:25   #48
BHPian

My parent's home in Delhi was bang opposite two bank branches. We faced similar issues during the day, where the bank customers would argue with our guard saying they have a 10 minute job at the bank and sometimes return hours later. We didn't have a gate as such, but they used to double park scooters or car so that our car parked over night was not able to get out in the morning.
I think you can try paint (easiest and cheap, but may not be effective), bins/cones (easy to move, cheap, but again may not be effective), stones/poles in the ground/heavy pots/ barriers (cheap, but difficult to move, likely to be more effective than others), scooter or beater car (expensive, most painful to remove each time but the most effective).

I'd say start with the paint and bins/cones/light barriers to see what works. You never know what works in these situations till you try (sometimes paint on the ground might just too). If they don't, move on the other options listed.
Jekyl87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:00   #49
BHPian

Better to puncture the car or scratch the doors and not feel guilty about it. But people who have that much sense to park cars blocking dates deserve that. Not sure if painting or putting signboard will work as you have already named them "idiots'.
Old 16th October 2022, 11:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
"Parking charge Rs.500 per hour" Add additional zeros till it works. Put the watchman to work and give proper receipt.
I was just watching this in a YouTube video a few weeks back. Reverse psychology does wonders. People do not care about the No Parking signs unless there is an authoritative motive NOT to do so. And usually, there isn't.

But the moment someone looks at a paid parking (even if it's 50/100 bucks), they will squatter away and look for a free space.
arpirocks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You could place two large garbage cans like below near the gate making it difficult for anyone to park their car between them. The cans could be chained to the gate or fence to prevent them from being moved/stolen. In general people do not like to touch garbage bins so they may not try to move them around.

Attachment 2368389
This will be counter productive. People will start throwing trash in the cans and the area will become a big garbage dump and cleanliness and smell issues arise.

Even if you seal they lid and make the can unusable, people will just throw their garbage on the ground next to it.

This will become a bigger problem than parking.
Everlearner is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

The best solution would be to invest in an old car (>20yesrs if permissible) and park it in front of the gate. Unlike scooters it is difficult to move. The only hassle is to move the car when ever you need to drive in or out of the gate.

An innovative though an expensive method used by a few in Delhi (where it is neighbours who take your slot) is to have a guard with a bamboo bed in front of trhe gate.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:54   #53
BHPian

You can try putting a board.
Fast Tag parking zone
Parking fee xx rupees per hour. For your convenience this will be charged automatically from your fasttag.
ajayc123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Your Jeep has a metal bumper right? Sometimes the solution is hidden in plain sight.

On a serious note, do check out plastic barriers used at toll gates etc. Easy to move, will last a long time and nobody messes with those.
Attachment 2368172
Out of all the suggestions your idea is the best sir, soon I will use it in front of my gate. Thanks
amrit_bareta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Rush,

Sorry if I am sounding negative. Firstly the space you are thinking about putting barriers/cones is a public road which is not owned by one.
Right. However no harm in painting 'NO PARKING' in front of gate and also having displaying 'no parking in front of door' board on the gate.
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Another "green" alternative. Large potted plants placed in a similar fashion covering both sides of the gate. A pair of pots at each edge of the gate mounts. It will make it to difficult to park between the pots which are also heavy and no one will bother to move them. Not sure how the local BMC etc will react to it.
Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-20221016_105958.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th October 2022 at 12:24.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:21   #57
BHPian

I found this image on Quora. I believe this would work perfectly in your case.��Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-img_20221016_122013.jpg
nathanjdias is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:42   #58
BANNED

Why should you incur a wasteful expenditure to purchase a car, scooty for somebody else’s stupidity. Get two removable poles fabricated with a chain in between and to ensure the poles don’t get thrown away, drill 2 hooks ( the likes which can be driven upon when not in use) in the road to which these poles can be locked onto. An M16/20 bolt in the road with a thick 2-3 ringed chain for locking onto can be an example.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:57   #59
BHPian

You could place a military look metal trunk blocking access of a car trying to park and chain it to your gate so that it doesn’t look a deserted trunk or even get lost.

People would be super hesitant to touch anything like that.
Attached Images

gopa99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 13:24   #60
BHPian

Just a simple solution.
Ask your cats or dogs to jump on the offending vehicle. Allow them to scratch the vehicle till they are satisfied.
Word of mouth publicity will help. An offending vehicle owners generally are the one who suggest their friends or relatives to park in front of the gate whenever they visit next, as only they themselves are aware of the safe parking spots nearby. They themselves will stop visiting your lane next time fearing damage to their car.

I strictly warn against puncturing offending vehicle's tyre. Who knows they might be having an emergency and had to rush? The guilt will be on our head forever. I understand we too might have an emergency and it is extremely wrong from other vehicle owners to disregard for other persons emergency situations.
But, we doing the same will put us in the same page as them.

Keeping expanding barriers after 8pm will help as traffic police patrolling is less during those hours and it would be illegal for you to use them during day time as this will be on a public property and block traffic movements.

Parking a scooter won't be of any use. As other 2 wheeled owners would start parking around it and this would be a bigger menace. Tackling 10 such owners would be more difficult than tackling a single car owner.
DrCar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed