Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 14:44   #76

Re: Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?

I also faced the same problem. In my neighborhood there are 4 brothers in 1 house who are not on the talking terms with each other. Every time different brother parks the car in front of our gate, Every time we need to ask them to move the car. I think you should put the cones but be car as people have the tendency to remove them as in my case, also ask the neighbours not to tell their friends and relatives to park in front of the gate.
Octane 99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:52   #77
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Parking your car and putting a few stones nearby is the best approach, as Condor mentioned.

Do a cross parking right outside your gate to show that the car is yours.

A well-known politician lives just across from my apartment building, and people routinely leave their cars parked in front of our gate. I ask them to create place for us whenever I need to leave, and thus far they have done it without any problems.
RGK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 17:20   #78
BHPian

Why not park your vehicle (the one for running errands) outside your gate. Even placing pots, road barriers, etc. will mean it is on public property.
Boomerang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 18:20   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Parking your car and putting a few stones nearby is the best approach, as Condor mentioned.

Do a cross parking right outside your gate to show that the car is yours.
This looks like most of the popular opinion as of now for:

- Its non coercive (than lets say deflating tyres etc.)
- Its easy to implement, as you have a beater car
- Control is fully with you to remove/park
- It may not termed illegal, as many other cars are parked outside anyway

Cons could be:

- Additional time in maneuvering the car while going out
- Hassle in parking your other car or two wheeler when you use your beater car
- Safety of the car against scratches, rubbing, theft etc.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 22:51   #80
BHPian

A board that reads “Reserved Parking. Parking only for BHPians” 😇
I would say, if the problem is not a daily fare, deal with it on a case by case basis. A calm request usually works. If it is a daily annoyance, a sensor that alerts within the house, where someone can walk out to request, and also beeps to alert the person parking it in the place.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 01:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Ideally it's not going to be effective dealing with this on a case to case basis.

My solution would be to get a couple of wheel clamps and put it on your own scooter on the road facing side. It should be noticeable to people searching for parking and ideally they would hesitate and move ahead.
This would be enen more effective if you can rope in some of your neighbours who part cars on the road and are similarly inconvenienced to also put these dummy clamps on their wheels to enhance the illusion of law enforcement taking action against parked cars on that road.
Another benefit would be that even if people ignore chances of getting their wheels locked they might assume that wheel thieves are active in the area and might avoid parking for that reason
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 06:55   #82
Team-BHP Support

A long term solution what some people on my mothers road have done is to form a residents association.

As it is near a lot of the entertainment hotspots, the menace of parking, in car activities and ingestion and subsequent commuting of nuisances happened. Some of the residents have worked with the police and the BBMP and have manned barrier at the entrance to the road to regulate visitors etc. seems to work. Cops are happy since less complaints and crime and so are the residents.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:57   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton guys for all the suggestions & advice! It is highly appreciated .

Meanwhile, check the blocked gates from earlier this week!

Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-20221015-11.59.27.jpg

Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-20221015-11.59.37.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 22:25   #84
BHPian

A big visible signage on the closed gate and a signboard on street as well like the one below in image. That is the most effective way with minimal effort and expense. A image with tow truck is certainly a deterent for many.

Also add a message, Parked vehicle towed by towing contractor, contact - 9xxxxxxxx
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-screenshot_20221020220513062_com.android.chrome2.jpg  

Doc_Hudson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 22:36   #85
Team-BHP Support

A lot of such streets which people use either to park while doing errands or as a thoroughfare have gates with permanent guard here. They will open the gate only to the residents and visitors. This should be doable if your neighbours also pitch-in. Not sure about the BMC aspect though, we have done similar after RWA approval in Gurgaon.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 22:49   #86
BHPian

Put up a red medical emergency sign with a back light, some might think it is a day and night clinic.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-medi-sign.jpg  

SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:00   #87

You will need to install a car parking space protector which can be controlled remotely. But you might need corporation approval to install it on a public street.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas to keep idiots from blocking my gates?-screenshot_20221021095618_chrome.jpg  

Mi2un is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Put up a red medical emergency sign with a back light, some might think it is a day and night clinic.
How will that help? Frankly, nothing works. My grandparents' house has this problem. Frankly the only thing that was somewhat effective was liberally greasing the palm of the local parking guy to encourage people to park properly.

But there were still some aggressive morons who would argue and park in front of the gate.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:46   #89
Team-BHP Support

If that road is a dead-end, then all residents of the road can collectively approach BMC & get some sticker / pass where only those rides with passes / stickers can be permitted to enter the lane. Till then, that scooter & brick solution is the best. If the watchman is not efficient, at-least he can move the bricks & the scooter.

I just don't understand that how much brain does it take for people to not park bang opposite someone's gate? I mean, how hard can it be?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:46   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If that road is a dead-end, then all residents of the road can collectively approach BMC & get some sticker / pass where only those rides with passes / stickers can be permitted to enter the lane. Till then, that scooter & brick solution is the best. If the watchman is not efficient, at-least he can move the bricks & the scooter.

I just don't understand that how much brain does it take for people to not park bang opposite someone's gate? I mean, how hard can it be?
The same lame brain that prompts two people to stop right in the middle of a busy street to exchange pleasantries. (Khushwant Singh once remarked that this a throughback of two horse riders meeting and exchanging pleasantries in the middle of the road, of course those days there was very little traffic).

Some people inhently lack empathy and social niceties.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed