Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:47   #76
BHPian

One interesting information not many people in BLR are aware of when commuting to/from the BIAL airport.

Both Meru and Easy Cabs do not charge extra during night hours (10 PM to 6 AM), Rate is the same.

Now compare this with SPOT who has a 50% extra for travel between 10 PM--6AM.

I found out the hard way!!! Booked SPOT for a 5.45 AM flight out and paid 600 + Rs on a rickety non A/C Maruti Omni (1 1/2 charges). Also watched Meru/Easy Cab vehicles overtake our cab every 30 seconds on the airport road.

Return, my fliight which was supposed to reach Bangalore at 8 .30 PM landed up at 10.30 PM. And it was raining badly as well, so dropped the idea of taking the Volvo and went to the taxi Rank. Took an Easy Cab (the other operator besides Meru) and the ride in an A/C Logan cost 400 Rs odd!

This was some time back but I called both Meru and Easy Cab today and both confirmed that even now they dont have extra night charges from the airport which makes it an excellent bargain.

Also AFAIK the BMTC airport volvos dont have discounted rates for children , so if you are a family of four you dont save anything by taking the Volvo from the airport.

SPOT is good for city rides during day time, but as explained works out more expensive in the night for airport drops decause of their night charges.

Also SPOT is not a cab company but a network of your local small time operators who own and operate their vehicles. SPOT just gives the infrastructure(booking support etc). Infact most SPOT cab guys will give you their contact number without asking and ask them to contact directly.

(SPOT - Self Employed Programme for Organised Transport). More details in their website

To be fair to SPOT , before Easy Cab and Meru came along, they were the life line in Bangalore and even now within city they are good.
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:22   #77
BHPian

Meru rules in Delhi. Rate 15rs/KM. First 15 minutes no waiting charges after which 50rs/1 hour. You give a call, no advance booking of any sort like call 4 hours in advance. Once you done your booking, you will get your order number in sms. Before 30 minutes of the scheduled time, the cab arrives at your place. Before that, you receive the driver details through SMS, after which the driver themselves give a call and let you know he has arrived. All the drivers are well dressed, no tampering the meter or no extra money. Cab are in good condition with AC working. Once they start the vehicle, driver tells you to check the meter so he can start it. Very prompt and satisfactory service. Right opposite, Easy cab stinks. They arrive 30 minutes after the booked time. Last time, got the driver details through sms in the evening when my service with the cab ended by 11AM. What else should I say? When I was in bangalore, thought of same about Meru and booked a cab in the morning for 9AM. The driver called up at 9.45 and intimated that he would arrive in the next 45 minutes, I insisted that the cab was booked for 9AM, then he mentioned the place where I should go was the Airport, I denied and said I need to goto Byrasandra village. He told he cant come and kept the phone down. Next time, tried Easy cab and they were promt. So it was the opposite in Bangalore.
Old 6th October 2009, 20:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
There is an association called 'Bangalore Airport & Railway taxi drivers union' or something similar to that. I guess these guys have/had a monopoly over the city Railway station and the old HAL airport in Bangalore. After the HAL airport was shut down, they have totally shifted base to the railway station and are preventing newer operators to operate from there.

We have a similar problem in Mumbai and GTO you are correct is because the black & yellows(regular taxis) and the Blues(cool cabs) are unionized.

At the Mumbai domestic terminal 1( Indian & kingfisher) you can get only the regular cabs or the cool cabs. If you want a radio cab, well you push your trolley to the taxi lot outside arrival terminal II and then get one from there. For visitors willing to walk : as you step out of terminal 1 departure go to your right hand side and simply follow the rows of taxi cabs facing away from your approach. The radio cab bays are the one closest to the terminal and farthest from your direction. It is a 2-5 minute walk depending on the way the cabs are parked on a given day but worth it

So team, the next time you see a guy weaving through rows of taxi cabs one hand pushing a trolley with a suitcase and at least two cardboard boxes with the laptop thrown on top for good measure and the other hand wiping the profusely sweating brow be kind enough to stop and offer a ride to the nearest available Meru. He.he

Despite these shortcomings I believe things have taken a turn for the better with the Meru et all. At the airport I now wait for a Logan or the Indigo marina and very nicely let other people in the line to step ahead for the esteems. LOL

At the Mumbai Central rail station too the radio taxis are neither allowed to pick up nor drop off inside the campus. I have had to coax the drivers to go inside and then also they drop you off near the private vehicle parking lot. Off late though, I have noticed some radio cabs parked near the ATM opposite the said parking lot, will try and find out about that on my next trip.

By the way no such problems in Delhi rail or air terminals. Reason No Unions!

The other topic I wanted to discuss is the fast shrinking size of the taxis. As mentioned by SX4_2007 : Quote Cab was a LPG Wagan R with AC. Unquote.

Moderators should this be discussed under a new thread kindly advise.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:45   #79
BHPian

We flew back from Kolkata two weeks back and unfortunately our driver could not pick us up from the airport, One of my friend who was one the same flight, suggested that there is a counter with four phones near the departure gate at the domestic terminal, four phones for respective private cabs. we just had to pick up the phone which was marked Meru and ordered for cab. It was outside the terminal in ten minutes. The Cab regn no is given and you just have wait for it.

No extra charges for night and the starting fare is rs 20/-

I think it is an excellent service.

Mansi
Old 7th October 2009, 12:15   #80
BHPian

MERU Cabs

I agree to most of the comments, but my experience has not been very pleasent. Couple of times the seat covers of the esteem were torn and A/C was not cooling enough. I checked with the driver and he just gave some lame excuses.
One funny incident (should i say funny or irrititating) happened when I called their call center to book a cab for airport drop. The lady on the other end said that all their cabs were booked and none available. I was OK with this statement but next thing she said, Sir if you want I can send the cab tomorrow morning @ 8 AM.. This, even after I told her that I had a flight late evening and needed a cab for airport drop.. DOnt know what was her understanding..
Old 7th October 2009, 12:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

@Manaa45

From your location I assume this is at terminal 1 arrival at Mumbai, I will look out for the phone counter on my next trip.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:03   #82
BHPian

My experience with Meru last year was excellent. Courteous drivers, well maintained car, but very hard to actually get a cab when you want one.

This year, its a bit easier to get a Meru, but the last two drivers I had both talked on their cell-phone while driving. One even turned around to check out a woman walking on the side of the street, didnt know when to change gears (car would keep jerking) and kept honking. I was about to call and complain but decided not to let the incident ruin my day (was on the way to the airport to catch a flight to Goa).

Note: all these experiences were in Bombay.
Old 30th October 2009, 00:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
When I was in bangalore, thought of same about Meru and booked a cab in the morning for 9AM. The driver called up at 9.45 and intimated that he would arrive in the next 45 minutes, I insisted that the cab was booked for 9AM, then he mentioned the place where I should go was the Airport, I denied and said I need to goto Byrasandra village. He told he cant come and kept the phone down.
Actually my mom is facing the same problem for the past couple of weeks. Although she has been using Meru quite frequently for the past 6 month, the issue of drivers not turning up in time and not getting confirmation sms has happened every day she booked the cab this month. Apparently one driver told her that they don't make much profit on drives other than the ones to the airport and hence drivers are reluctant for non airport trips.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

I till now have a very pleasant experience with Meru Cabs. Have used it for many airport transfer and they have always reached 30 minutes before the pick up time and I have always received the driver and taxi details through sms.
My best experience with them happened this month on 10th when I was leaving hyderabad for diwali vactions to my native place. Train was at 6:25 a.m in the morning so needed the cab at around 5:30 in morning. I am tired of haggling with autorickshaws, they demand exorbitant fares plus chances of getting one at 5:30 a.m in morning was slim.
I called up all other private cabs and they were asking fixed Rs. 200 fare for going from Masab tank till Hyderabad station including night charges. Easy cabs were not available and after 2-3 tries finally reached the Meru Cab call centre. The cab was booked and it came sharp at 5 a.m . We departed for station by 5:30 a.m and the fare came to Rs. 50. We were so glad we booked the Meru cab. I tipped the driver extra Rs. 20.

I booked it again while I was returning to Hyderabad. I booked Meru Cabs from the train about a hour before I was to reach hyderabad. The driver called up and confirm , he was there at the station. The drive to Masab Tank from Secunderabad costed us Rs. 171 . I tipped extra Rs. 30 and it saved us from haggling with lots of autodrivers. With 3 persons and a load of luggage, it indeed was very cheap.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 30th October 2009 at 13:05.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:12   #85
BHPian

Barring 1 sour experience, I have had pretty good experience with Meru. This one time in early August 2009, we booked Meru for an airport drop off. The cab reports on time, and we are off. After about 3 KMs, the cab stops at a gas station searching for Diesel. Unfortunately, that was the beginning of the search. Over the next 15 mins, and 5 KMs, the search for diesel is on (the driver claims there is hardly any diesel in the car) and we are on the phone with Meru CS for an alternate vehicle. Luckily, we did find diesel on the 3rd gas station.

A friend of mine, had a worst experience with Meru. He booked a cab in the evening for a morning drop off to Secunderabad railway station and he did get a confirmation. He had to wait for 2 hours from the designated time for the cab to arrive. To make things worst, he was given 3 driver details one after another; after the cab failed to report on time. And the first driver who was suppose to report, never got any intimation from the Meru CS. The second driver said, I can come only after an hour and half. Finally, the 3rd driver came.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@Manaa45

From your location I assume this is at terminal 1 arrival at Mumbai, I will look out for the phone counter on my next trip.
@Manaa45

Wanted to thank you for the info on the direct phone to Meru & others at terminal 1A. Several of my friends who are die hard Indian fans also extend their thanks. Surprisingly none of us had noticed those phones. This time around I found them as I was looking for them otherwise would have just missed them. The cab came in less than 2 minutes & it was a breeze.

For all those coming into Bombay from terminal 1A (Indian & Kingfisher) the phone counter is located inside the baggage claim hall on the wall between the two Glass exit doors. There are 5 phones one each for Mega, Meru, Forsche, I forgot the name on the 5th phone and the 4th one says 'for sale'. In true Bombay style here is a business opportunity even before you step out on the roads of Bombay.
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Actually my mom is facing the same problem for the past couple of weeks. Although she has been using Meru quite frequently for the past 6 month, the issue of drivers not turning up in time and not getting confirmation sms has happened every day she booked the cab this month. Apparently one driver told her that they don't make much profit on drives other than the ones to the airport and hence drivers are reluctant for non airport trips.
I had same issue on 31st dec 2009. I did get a confirmation SMS and also the details of the cab, driver etc. But when I call this person, he says he was not informed and refuses to come. It was midnight 12:30. And my flight was at 4am. Calling meru cab was also just repeating i am in queue.

This is the first time, but then this shows pure mis-management.
Old 5th January 2010, 09:41   #88

My experience with Meru has been excellent. Be it a ride to the Banagalore Airport, Railway station or ferrying me back from a pub (that's when I have difficulty getting into car, let alone driving it ), I have found Meru to be reliable and punctual.

Easy Cabs also offer similar level of services, but I feel that Meru maintains its cars better than them.

Only drawback (and which of course is not Meru's fault) is that they go inside the station premises. But I dont mind walking that little bit from the station gate to the platform.

Highly recommended.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

This thread reminds me of my last experience with Meru, which was shocking to say the least.
We, a family of 4 and an infant, arrived from Delhi at BIAL. Since we had a lot of luggage, we requested for an Indigo Marina, which arrived in 10 minutes. Loaded the luggage and we were off.

Out on the highway, came across a red traffic light and stopped. Light turned green and everyone started moving except us. My dad, sitting in front, looks at the driver only to find he was nodding off to sleep! We woke him up to get him going.
Another red traffic light and he nearly rear ends into the traffic!! We asked him to stop for coffee/tea or wash his face or get us into another cab but he kept insisting he was alright! The rest of the 1.5 hour journey was spent trying to keep him talking and awake!!
Old 5th January 2010, 10:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

never rely on meru

Booked a meru for a drop to a hotel on newyears eve at 8 pm, got a confirmation as well but at 7:30 pm i get a call saying we cannot send the cab.

I had also made a booking for the return at 2 am from the hotel.
Called them at 12 midnight to check they said we can come only by 3:30 - 4 am
as all cabs are busy.

Lesson learnt never ever book a meru again for anywhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks