Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 13:39   #106
BHPian

Re: Alternative to driving - MERU cab

This is not new with Meru and moreover this is an age old compliant here in Bangalore. All these things were very much reported in one of the newspapers long back. I have heard tons of compliant of people missing buses/trains/flights because of Meru.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post

On the same note, makemytrip is offering customers who book flights on their website cab booking as well through easycab. They also offer 10% off on the cabfare! Don't know how well this works though!
Works pretty well. I tried it last month when i went to Delhi. You pay the driver 10% less than the bill amount. At the airport, just show a printout of the voucher to the guy manning the cabs.

Although, you still end up paying some convenience amount to MMT for booking through them.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

I have used Meru multiple times in last 2-3 years and in the first two years i used to trust them until last year when they started cancelling the booking about 30 mins prior to the car arrival time. Last minute hush hush to get to the airport/Station in time, this has already happened to me 4 times.

Once the driver came and picked up someone else and went off (Probably that guy offered more money or his drop point was further then ours), we complaint to the call center and post that nothing much happened. Meru continues to amaze me.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:24   #109
Team-BHP Support

Ages ago, Meru introduced Credit card payment facility in the cab itself (at least in Bangalore). However, 5 out of the 5 cabs that I took in the last 8 months either did not have the machine at all or had a dysfunctional machine.

Anyone who's been successful paying thru' a credit card?
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:59   #110
BANNED

Friends,

Let me share my todays experience with Meru cab at bangalore Airport. I landed back to bangalore from ahmedbad @ 11.20 am, walked towards taxi que and picked up a meru cab.Driver asked destination on move,which was 34kms drive.He lost interest after hearing the short distance and started making funny regret sounds.After comming out from the airport before the tollgate, he swaped me to another taxi , got money collected from the other taxi guy and returned back to airport que for another deal.

Airport taxi charge is 17.5rs/km and these drivers swaps for less fares.

Luckily i was alone and got swapped easily.Be carefull if your travelling with families or late nights.
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:17   #111
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Meru has not been that good in Bangalore. I have had one cancellation and many times I have been told no cabs are available.

However, in Delhi I have never ever faced a problem with Meru. Now a days they even have a "book a cab to the airport and get a confirmed Pick up from any part of NCR" thing going on.
On the other hand, I have faced a problem with Easycab once, I guess 2 years back in Delhi when, I never got confirmation message with cab details that I am supposed to get half n hr in advance. I called up the call center and was told, I would be getting the confirmation soon, which again did nt come. Being from Dwarka however makes it easy for going to the airport as it is just next door. So I simply hired an auto and left. Never booked with easy cabs ever since. Its been Meru all the way and it has nt disappointed me in Delhi.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:38   #112
Oxy
BHPian

I have never managed to understand this concept of "Convenience Fee" that MERU charges if you call them up to book a cab (they charge Rs.50 over the booking amount I think). These fifty bucks are not charged when you book a cab online through their website.

Since when did calling up their call center number become a "convenience" for the customer? I find it really ridiculous.

Fortunately, while my wife was pregnant and was finding it difficult to travel to work, I started hunting for a cab service around my residence and bumped into a very reasonable chap. We used his services for some six months and found it really good. In due course, he got a few more customers through my reference. Now whenever I have to travel long distances with family, I usually call this guy up and he gives me pretty reasonable quotes everytime. He also offers me an air conditioned cab for fifty bucks extra. Thanks to him, I have not hired the dreaded yellow parasite (read autorickshaw) for over a year now.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:12   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy
I have never managed to understand this concept of "Convenience Fee" that MERU charges if you call them up to book a cab (they charge Rs.50 over the booking amount I think). These fifty bucks are not charged when you book a cab online through their website.

Since when did calling up their call center number become a "convenience" for the customer? I find it really ridiculous.

Fortunately, while my wife was pregnant and was finding it difficult to travel to work, I started hunting for a cab service around my residence and bumped into a very reasonable chap. We used his services for some six months and found it really good. In due course, he got a few more customers through my reference. Now whenever I have to travel long distances with family, I usually call this guy up and he gives me pretty reasonable quotes everytime. He also offers me an air conditioned cab for fifty bucks extra. Thanks to him, I have not hired the dreaded yellow parasite (read autorickshaw) for over a year now.
They try to amortize the cost of the call centre support service in this way. Thats what the 'convenience fee' is for!
Slightly OT:
In general, consumers today are being and have indeed been, spoilt to an extent by the E commerce companies and such, offering so many sops including discounted prices as well as free delivery, free COD payment, free this and free that, including 30 days no quibble returns. It is a short term tactic to convert consumers and induce those all important virtaul walkins who in turn contribute to the ever touted 'top line' and so on! In the short term this gives more consumers an incentive to buy from the e comm companies. In the longer term however, these sops are un sustainable unless of course the e comm companies become as large as Amazon has. Whether all or even many of them or even a few of them will indeed achieve this feat, only time will tell!
Old 12th June 2012, 19:30   #114
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore I use Fasttrack taxi service. I find them quite good. I have taken their cabs for outstation trips as well. Within Bangalore also they are good and efficient and can be called on very short notices.

I havent used Meru here as I usually call Easycab for airport drop/pickups. Havent had any bad experience with them so far.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:40   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO these days Meru Cab prefers only Airport pickup/drop. If its Railway Station or any other location then they take the booking first and cancel the booking 30mins before the pickup time saying Cabs are not available or technical issue with the cab or cab got stuck in traffic etc. I have faced this issue at least 5 times in the past one year and hence I prefer Fast Track now. They send the cab irrespective of the distance and there is a minimum charge of 175 for first 10 Kms. However most of the time they send Indica only. Once I specifically asked for Logan/Indigo/Etios/Dzire due to more luggage and they were able to send a Logan.

Last edited by arun_josie : 12th June 2012 at 19:43.

Most Viewed