Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Cannot really blame the Innova guy for not keeping safe distance. I think that term does not apply to Bangalore traffic. The moment you try to keep distance from the vehicle in front of your car, immediately a couple of motorcycle guys will try to squeeze into that space.

Yesterday I had a similar incident on MG Road trinity circle junction where there was massive rush hour traffic in the evening. I was driving my brother's brand new Getz and all of a sudden I feel a nudge from behind. My heart came to my mouth! I saw an auto rickshaw make a hurried turn towards airport road from behind me. I could not even stop the car to check the damage in the chaotic traffic junction.

Luckily for me, when I stopped the car at a safe place and checked the rear of the car, there was not a single scratch or dent. I thanked my stars for that lucky escape.
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rudra

Tough luck there ! Anyway its good that the bumper took the brunt of the impact as it should do - and I agree with you that 50% of cost saved by claiming insurance will turn into a pain when you renew your insurance as the bloodsuckers will more than make up for your claim with a surcharge next year.

As for the Innova its not surprising because its always the vehicle behind that takes the brunt of the impact in an accident like this - blame it on pedestrian safety design + occupant safety and crumple zones in the front of the vehicle.

That way it ensures that the chap who rear-ended someone always pays more!

However, didnt you lodge a police complaint? You may not want to claim insurance but I'm sure the Toyota chap will want to, and he will need a police report. What if he files one saying you absconded?
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
However, didnt you lodge a police complaint? You may not want to claim insurance but I'm sure the Toyota chap will want to, and he will need a police report. What if he files one saying you absconded?
Steer, there's nothing that cant stop the Innova guy from filing such a complaint. However, in most such cases here, people reach a compromise, and carry on. Cops and complaints are only there to harass you further, and nothing more.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sorry to hear this. Rudra, please end this thread with a picture of the new bumper on the car.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The crack doesnt seem that bad to have the bumper replaced(or maybe the pic isnt illustrating the seriousness of the damage).
I had a mad dog ramm itself into the right side of my Accords' front bumper while i was crusing at 60km/hr. Caused a huge depression and crack...sent it to my local garage for repair and i couldnt tell the difference!

P.S:Before you animal lover pounce on me the dog survived and it wasnt my fault !! :P
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

actually - I think the crumple zones have to blame for the excessive damange to the toyota - the rear of the vehicle does not have such a zone - this is what i have been told!
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
A common incident in City! Most of the times, it is Two wheelers who ram from behind as result of Sudden brake.
Yea a very common incident, this morning a bike banged into my bike(Enfield) from rear on braking, but that biker had to pay for it (broke his headlight). i think next time he will make sure not to bang into a enfield

Dont know whom to blame, the bike manufacturers who launch bikes with sad brakes or the one using it who dont use them when requirerd?
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The crack doesnt seem that bad to have the bumper replaced(or maybe the pic isnt illustrating the seriousness of the damage).
Hey Sahil, Probably you dont know Rudraji, He is so perfect about his cars that even the slight dust in air donot dare to stick to his cars, and you are talking keeping a crack on its bumper , he will not drive his car till the new bumper comes in...

Abhi
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Rudra, why are you not claiming Insurance?
Insurance will pay 50% of Bumper cost + Painting chgs + Labour chgs, so you pay only 50% of Bumper cost.
Finneyp, I heard plastics/fibres are covered for only 5% of the cost, rest 95% you have to pay, For metal parts it is the other way round though...

Abhi
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car, Rudra-sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
But the Innova driver is at fault. When Honda driver and you could stop in time, why couldn't he stop in time? He was not maintaining enough distance.
Exactly my thoughts. The Innova guy is to blame. He should have braked in time, like you and the Honda guy did. If you wanna tailgate somebody, ensure that you have good brakes and quick reflexes to slam them when required, instead of bumping into the guy in front.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If you wanna tailgate somebody, ensure that you have good brakes and quick reflexes to slam them when required, instead of bumping into the guy in front.
I think he was looking at his wife and talking. He must have braked hard but late. Otherwise his car wouldn't have dipped so low to hit the bumper.

Again, I didn't notice a dent next to my number plate last night. This is probably because of my mood at that point in time.

Cost break-up:
12500/- plus tax for bumper.
3000/- for bumper painting.
5500/- for tinkering and paint that dented part. Need to paint the whole boot.

After opening the bumper if they find that impact beam inside is damaged or misaligned..5500/- for new impact beam. So total 26500/- plus tax.

I've asked for insurance claim.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thats just bad luck. Couldn't do much about that. S**t happens
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Finneyp, I heard plastics/fibres are covered for only 5% of the cost, rest 95% you have to pay, For metal parts it is the other way round though...

Abhi
Abhi, you got it wrong!
For Plastic & fibre parts, 50% of cost is paid by Insurance Co.
I am saying this coz I have replaced my Bumper couple of times & I paid only 50% of cost.

Last edited by finneyp : 2nd August 2007 at 15:54.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:38   #29
BHPian

Man, that sounds bad for what started as a minor damage to the bumper. I hope you did a workout based on how much of the 26500/- will be granted to you by the Insurance claim. Normally you should get almost full amount for the painting and tinkering stuff, but the big damage will be with the 12500/- for the bumper. I guess at the end of all this, if you get 8-9K from Insurance, it would not be worth it to loose your NCB... just my 2 c

Last edited by quicksilver : 2nd August 2007 at 15:39. Reason: spell check... and some after thought...
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:38   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Cost break-up:
12500/- plus tax for bumper.
3000/- for bumper painting.
5500/- for tinkering and paint that dented part. Need to paint the whole boot.

After opening the bumper if they find that impact beam inside is damaged or misaligned..5500/- for new impact beam. So total 26500/- plus tax.
I wonder why bumpers of the bigger cars are so expensive. The cedia's costs Rs.13,500.

The smaller cars only Rs.1K-2K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks