Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2007, 10:14   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nope. This was told to me by the National Insurance agent when he came to renew the premium on one of my cars and I had lost the no-claim bonus for having claimed a small sum of Rs.6,000. When I mentioned it was no fault of mine he asked me very clear 'Sir why did you claim it from his insurance company then? You wouldnt have lost your no-claim bonus'.

I may have been living outside India for too long, but that insurance agent certainly hasnt been outside the country!
Ok. I understand what the agent was saying. However, what he is not telling you is that you would have to file a case, go to court, prove that the other person was at fault, then the insurance companies go to court to figure out how much to pay. All this will take approximately 5 years (if not more) and will cost you a lot more money in legal fees.

And at the end of it, you may just get enough money to have covered the actual repair job itself (which was done and paid for 5 years ago), but you would have lost many working days in courts and a lot of money in legal fee's.

Yup, we are still in India alright.
Old 8th August 2007, 10:23   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
And at the end of it, you may just get enough money to have covered the actual repair job itself (which was done and paid for 5 years ago), but you would have lost many working days in courts and a lot of money in legal fee's.
If the other person doesnt own up to his mistake, i believe both parties cars are also seized and kept at the police station too. Someone please correct me if wrong.

Looking at what could be the turn of events this way, i would rather go through my own insurance.

Unless the law is implemented in a more user-friendly manner, i dont think this is actually helping us.
Old 8th August 2007, 10:30   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the other person doesnt own up to his mistake, i believe both parties cars are also seized and kept at the police station too. Someone please correct me if wrong.
The cars are kept at the station only till an officer from the RTO arrives to survey the damage and make a report. However, I have heard of cases where the cops make people run around for weeks and sometimes months to get this done. Luckily in my situation, I got the car back the very next day itself. And without any chai paani.
Old 8th August 2007, 10:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Great job Rudra nice to see shes back in good shape. Sweet.
Old 8th August 2007, 12:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Ok. I understand what the agent was saying. However, what he is not telling you is that you would have to file a case, go to court, prove that the other person was at fault, then the insurance companies go to court to figure out how much to pay.
I've filed a police case for all my accidents, including that one. The wording of the FIR apparently means a lot - in the specific case that I was referring to the FIR was worded very correctly, showing that the other chap was at fault.

In cases where each party goes after his own insurance company, the wording is vague enough - the blame is normally put on a cow or dog on the road, or to slippery road conditions. These also state that both parties have agreed that it is neither party's fault (I have a copy of one when an old man rammed his scooter into my Accent).

I dont know about the 5-year issue - the chap I mentioned read the FIR (I keep copies of them) made it sound like it was a routine affair. I can check with my lawyer back home - he will be able to tell me how practical this option is because he's a very practical sort of lawyer.

Enough said. Lets talk about Rudra's car.
Old 8th August 2007, 12:42   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can check with my lawyer back home - he will be able to tell me how practical this option is because he's a very practical sort of lawyer.
That would be great if you could.

Quote:
Enough said. Lets talk about Rudra's car.
Which one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks