Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 20:02   #46
BHPian

Strange experience with roadside puncturewalas

Hello fellow bhpians,

I had this strange experience 3/4 times. I went to get air filled in my i-10 tyres at a roadside puncturewala (different each time). First tyre was filled and then at the second/third tyre he started struggling to fill the air. But the the tyre just didn't show any sign of air getting filled. Then the puncturewala told me that the tyre is punctured.

I was surprised at this started arguing, he said the valve may be loose. I asked him to tighten it and then it was fine. The car was parked at office for 7-8 hours, so if the valve would have been leak the tyre would have been flat there itself. But tyre started loosing pressure only at the puncture shop. Is there some cheating these guys are doing? anybody with similar experience. How to tackle this?
Old 26th March 2010, 20:26   #47
BHPian

I would stick to my trusted petrol pump to get air filled. Digital gauges are usually good.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Is there some cheating these guys are doing? anybody with similar experience. How to tackle this?
You are inviting trouble upon yourself buddy. Why not fill air along with petrol at your regular petrol pump. Hope you have a trusted pump, if not you should be taking better care of your ride.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there some cheating these guys are doing? anybody with similar experience. How to tackle this?
Rule No 1- Always do it at a petrol bunk
Rule No 2- Always follow rule no 1

Why go to local guys when the petrol bunk does the job? Better be safe than sorry.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:56   #50
BANNED

Something similar.

After fixing puncture, they will show as if they are checking tyre from inside for foreign objects , nails etc and try to cut inside surface of tyre lining using some pointed tool.

They will show you those cutting and will ask you to fix it with TYRE PATCH , which will cost you anywhere between 100-250 depending upon intricate location of puncturewala

It happened with me once.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:02   #51
BHPian

Does he actually know the i10 has tubeless tyres and the valves don't get loose as easily as in tyre tube ones ?

To me, this looks like a clear hoax to extract money. Ask him if he can fix tubeless punctures.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow bhpians,

I had this strange experience 3/4 times. I went to get air filled in my i-10 tyres at a roadside puncturewala (different each time). First tyre was filled and then at the second/third tyre he started struggling to fill the air. But the the tyre just didn't show any sign of air getting filled. Then the puncturewala told me that the tyre is punctured.
I had similar experience in Paud Road locality in pune.
Find a reliable tyre repair vendor/person in your locality or better find a tyre shop. Most of tyre pressure gauges are not well calibrated/maintained at fuel pumps.
I shifted to using a battery operated portable air compressor sometime back when my daily drive route changed & couldn't find a reliable person on that route.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:04   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow bhpians,

I was surprised at this started arguing, he said the valve may be loose. I asked him to tighten it and then it was fine. The car was parked at office for 7-8 hours, so if the valve would have been leak the tyre would have been flat there itself. But tyre started loosing pressure only at the puncture shop. Is there some cheating these guys are doing? anybody with similar experience. How to tackle this?
Yes, I had similar experiences twice,in karve road area, for my M800.Now that I have new set of tyres with nitrogen,Iam relieved from such type of 'punctures'.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:26   #54
Team-BHP Support

spend Rs~400 and get yourself a foot pump,
handy while punctures happen at un earthy places/hours

and tires should be filled in once they are cool
Old 16th April 2010, 22:25   #55
BHPian

Anyone used Slime Tyre care products ? BTW here is their website SLIME - Worldwide Leader in Tire Care - NEW Slime Quick Spair & Slime Shield
Old 17th September 2010, 03:04   #56
BHPian

I am very much frustrated with these puncture shops, they loot us in the day time openly. I have spent around 2k+ only on tubes in just 3 months which lasts not more than 300-500km. These tubes they put are 100% Duplicate, some brands which they have put on my tyres are: DUELOP, JIK, CEET ....

I happened to pay 450 for tube thinking getting a brand one, later came to know it was no JK, it was JIK, i didnt know as it was dark. As many have suggested, it is always good to carry Tube along with spare tyres always, nowadays it doesnt really matter its highway or city traffic, both places...specially bangalore roads are puncture prone.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

I also usually fill air from petrol pump then use my pressure valve also to double check the pressure. Its mostly correct. Few days back i had a punture but the tyre was not completely flat, went to nearby punture shop to get the air filled and later get it repaired somewhere else. He filled air in all four and after that car felt very unbalanced and steering was also very light. Just to be sure after driving 4-5 kms i used my pressure valve and every tyre had 52psi. when i had seen him filling till 30psi.
Old 21st September 2010, 00:38   #58
BHPian

I've noticed this a lot on the Doddaballapur -> Dobbaspet stretch. Pieces of wood that act as sturdy holders to the upward pointing nail : strewn at various intervals. I've not seen a puncture shaap close by anywhere, but I've seen a lot of 2-wheelers/cabs with flats on the road.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:18   #59
BHPian

Last month to my trip to Pondicherry. One of my TUBELESS tyres suddenly got a puncture and got a deep cut by the reflectors places on the road acting as dividers.

I was shocked to see how could tubeless get flat after seconds of it being punctured. I couldn't find a nail or anything in the tyre. It just got a deep cut and can not be used any more. I was not surprised to see a puncture shop just beside the place I stopped.

Was it a plan of the Puncture guys? If yes, How did they do it?
Old 19th March 2015, 10:55   #60
BHPian

Nails intentionally put on roads in Bangalore

A network of puncture shops in the outer ring road, Bangalore is intentionally putting nails on the roads.

A facebook group has been created to create awareness about this issue:
https://www.facebook.com/MyRoadMyResponsibility

Some photos:
Tricks Puncture/Tyre shops play: "Beware of nails on roads" and other experiences-152707.jpg

Tricks Puncture/Tyre shops play: "Beware of nails on roads" and other experiences-152708.jpg
Mods, there were multiple threads related to nails on roads. Please merge wherever is appropriate.

Note from mod : Please do not link to externally hosted images, attach them to the post itself

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th March 2015 at 11:11.
psankar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed