Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 16:01   #31
BHPian

Wow,

Akshay, I want to relive! I want to see this!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You haven't lived till you're doing 12,000 rpm in an Esteem
Hi Vinay,

you just took the words out of my mouth! The place that you have mentioned is one of the best curves a biker can take within bangalore!

I for one visit that place atleast once in a week to scrape the footpegs of my bike.

There is also the curve that connects the IRR to the old airport road! that bend is also awesome.

Be it my bike or the vtec, these curves are awesome. But like you said, the first timer needs to be carefull, one mistake and you will smash into the divider!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
If someone wants to really try their luck and driving capability then try the flyover curve that connects from old airport road to the Ejipura signal, its fun driving there but if you are over speeding and if you do not time properly then you will smash your ride to the concrete wall.

I have seen bikers trying to slant there bike and take a turn on that curve and ended up in drifting there bike and hitting the wall.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th July 2008 at 01:18. Reason: Posts merged. Use MULTI-QUOTE.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:15   #32
BANNED

Hey i thought this was a public road to be used by folks like me who have a family, have a 9 to 6 job, who cannot afford to die trying 12k rpm on my car bought through EMI's paid by killing my other hobbies. I didnt know we had such great drivers who speak of 120 kmph on that stretch not worried about killing a small meek driver like me in his valuable car.

I thought the topic is not to do the above rather we are talking about the road being sort of a race track. What am i missing?

It is no longer a "Ring Road", it has become one of the most important roads in bangalore.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You haven't lived till you're doing 12,000 rpm in an Esteem, at 140 kmph
Wow, 12K on an Esteem!!! Insane....do post some vids ASAP. This is gonna be worth seeing!!!

Shan2nu
Old 17th July 2008, 16:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Over tha past 1.5 years that I have been using this road, I have seen that if you are in a tearing hurry - your best bet is not to honk or flash your lights - but to zig-zag between lanes.
You know what? If you are in a tearing hurry, zigzagging will save you not more than even a minute, over if you were in a single lane. Just think whether its worth the risk you are taking.

So many times i have seen people zigzagging like mad, while i go in the rightmost lane, only to see them not more than 3 cars ahead before the flyover. And if they are taking the u turn under the flyover, then i end up right behind them, even after driving in same lane most of the way.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:27   #35
BHPian

If you dont have fully independent rear suspension - dont drive fast on curves.

You ARE going to lose it.

End of story.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You know what? If you are in a tearing hurry, zigzagging will save you not more than even a minute, over if you were in a single lane. Just think whether its worth the risk you are taking.

So many times i have seen people zigzagging like mad, while i go in the rightmost lane, only to see them not more than 3 cars ahead before the flyover. And if they are taking the u turn under the flyover, then i end up right behind them, even after driving in same lane most of the way.

I myself sometmies in a hurry have ovrertaken people honked at them etc.etc then 100mtrs down found them next to me at the lights !

best to stick to lane driving, someone has to take the intitiative.
Old 17th July 2008, 21:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hey i thought this was a public road to be used by folks like me who have a family, have a 9 to 6 job, who cannot afford to die trying 12k rpm on my car bought through EMI's paid by killing my other hobbies. I didnt know we had such great drivers who speak of 120 kmph on that stretch not worried about killing a small meek driver like me in his valuable car.

I thought the topic is not to do the above rather we are talking about the road being sort of a race track. What am i missing?

It is no longer a "Ring Road", it has become one of the most important roads in bangalore.
(Sounding apologetic) that was 2003/2004 BC u know... when traffic in Bangalore was less and the IRR was a Ring road with very less traffic. Also due to the flyover construction at Domlur traffic was less. Ejipura junction didn't even have a signal !!

You couldn't do those speeds today unless its early morning or very late in the night. There are too many vehicles on that road and the U-turn would not allow such high speeds.

Whole point is.. don't try it NOW !!
Old 17th July 2008, 21:40   #38
Team-BHP Support

Soon after the IRR was completed before the flyover system came into being,

a certain inebriated young man on new years night, drove at high speed into the divider at the Domlur junction, engine dropped out, car went flying across the road.

The lad survived and walked off. Cops were rather puzzled as the engine was in the Domlur limits and the car was in the indiranagar limits, they ere too busy arguing while the lad sobered up and returned to the scene~
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2008, 21:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I agree with VJ MAVRICK, while taking those curves if you try to be very close then you will end up banging to concrete wall or you will even get on to next lane, best way to time curves would be, after you cross the U turn straight from Ejipura signal try to keep the vehicle in the middle of the road or toward left (not extreme, then you will land up in army fence).

If someone wants to really try their luck and driving capability then try the flyover curve that connects from old airport road to the Ejipura signal, its fun driving there but if you are over speeding and if you do not time properly then you will smash your ride to the concrete wall.

I have seen bikers trying to slant there bike and take a turn on that curve and ended up in drifting there bike and hitting the wall.
Yea Vinay! Thats a curve where bikers take the adrenalin pumped up all the way from Ejipura signal to this curve and kiss the concrete. With relatively bad driving skills and ok type handling of the bikes their endeavors in this regard are simply mindless
Old 17th July 2008, 22:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

I used to jog in the evening on the side of inner ring road five years back. Many people used to come for evening walk/jog. I think about the good old days when I get struck in the inner ring road.

I am careful when I reach the U turn in inner ring road.
Old 17th July 2008, 22:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Google Earth snaps of the curve/u-turn

Courtesy (rather outdated) Google Earth:

The infamous S-curve and the U-turn (at the bottom of the main picture and blown-up for better visibility).

Brodly speaking, the speeds are relatively high, camber/banking is dodgy for both turns (IIRC), road surface is too smooth (mastic asphalt? Maybe 'tile' them or roughen them like at most Mumbai's Western Express Highway junctions?), lane markings are insufficient, poor lane discipline and a deadly mix of frustated 2 /3 / 4 wheeler drivers! IMHO, even WITHOUT the U-turn the 'chicane' would be a death-trap!

The 2 (seemingly gentle) turns are very misleading with double apexes. You turn in and wait for the curve to right itself and it just goes on and on; the car begins to understeer and a thrilling drive/ride can turn into disaster in seconds. Add the U-turn and the hump/bridge on the road just before the U-turn (from the Ejipura side) and it is a recipe for disaster.

EGL and the other ITES organisations should consider partnering with the state government and build a 'magic box' underpass here.
Attached Thumbnails
Be very conscious while driving in Inner ring road (IRR)-infamous-scurve-irr.jpg  

Be very conscious while driving in Inner ring road (IRR)-closeup-u-turn-irr.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th July 2008 at 22:54. Reason: Typo
Old 18th July 2008, 00:45   #42
BHPian

I use the IRR everyday to go to work. Its a splendid road to drive when empty, but spoilt due to a number of reasons
1) moronic drivers not sticking to lanes while taking the curves or zig zagging on the straights
2) the dreaded u-turn and eager cabbies and bikers trying to creep in even with the cop standing there telling them to wait
3) 2-3 lanes of vehicles queuing up to take the u-turn blocking the whole road for people who don't want to u-turn. This was controlled by cops into a single lane of u-turners for 2-3 days, now back to same chaos.
4) stupid bikers trying to jump the median opposite dell in a silly attempt to save going all the way to the u-turn or under flyover The median is now damaged and the concrete tiles holding it are spilling onto the road

Infact a month back there was some NGO giving handouts at eejipura signal pleading to drive carefully and follow rules and that after few days fines will be imposed!! To impose fines for breaking rules, our cops to need to get NGOs to give handouts. I doubt if we will see any discipline or solutions anytime soon on IRR or anywhere in bangy. Bad roads and worse drivers is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by jassi : 18th July 2008 at 00:48.
Old 18th July 2008, 01:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Agreed - But there's something called state of mind - which get's the better of you on some day's. On most days i too stick to the rightmost lane and have experienced exactly what you have stated.
BTW 'zig-zag' gives the impression of an auto driver on steroids. Wrong choice of words by me in the earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If you dont have fully independent rear suspension - dont drive fast on curves.

You ARE going to lose it.

End of story.
Indicabs would hence rule the road!

Last edited by aah78 : 18th July 2008 at 01:19. Reason: Posts merged. Use MULTI-QUOTE.
Old 18th July 2008, 01:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

You missed the fact that this was at around 1 am in 2003, when the road was as devoid of traffic as Michael Jordan's head is of hair. And don't you worry, the driver of the car in question has a family, has a 9 to 6 (and often beyond) job, and is still alive and paying EMIs for various things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Wow,

Akshay, I want to relive! I want to see this!

Cheers
Shrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Wow, 12K on an Esteem!!! Insane....do post some vids ASAP. This is gonna be worth seeing!!!
I'm pretty sure you've seen it in the early days of TBHP. I remember seeing 12000 rpm because that's where the meter ended. The car was actually still accelerating, so I would guesstimate closer to 14000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Soon after the IRR was completed before the flyover system came into being,

a certain inebriated young man on new years night, drove at high speed into the divider at the Domlur junction, engine dropped out, car went flying across the road.

The lad survived and walked off. Cops were rather puzzled as the engine was in the Domlur limits and the car was in the indiranagar limits, they ere too busy arguing while the lad sobered up and returned to the scene~
How about that fellow in that Corsa that went straight on after the bridge, towards I'nagar. They climbed the divider, no mean feat in itself, mowed a pole down, took an auto out, and flew headlong into Army territory. The authorities had to scrape him out of the car with a spatula.
Old 18th July 2008, 02:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
How about that fellow in that Corsa that went straight on after the bridge, towards I'nagar. They climbed the divider, no mean feat in itself, mowed a pole down, took an auto out, and flew headlong into Army territory. The authorities had to scrape him out of the car with a spatula.
I remember the Corsa incident very well, he was a Joseph’s student, he was supposed to take up his 2nd UP exam, the sad part was the auto guy who was going in the other lane, when the auto guys body was take out the brain was out from neck. I think the fire department came and opened the smashed Corsa as the driver body was stuck inside. I was new to my company when this accident took place and I was in operations at that time, someone messaged me and a IT guy saying it was our company cab, but when we rushed it was Corsa, I was present on that post till they cleared the body, one of the guy who was sitting behind was taken to hospital no idea what happened. The guy who died was a NRI I believe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks