Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 12:51   #16
BHPian

I normally try to stick to the right lane, and I end up honking violently to all those right lane slow drivers.(rarely though, unless I see that they are really slow on extreme right lane, and do not move on any request like flashing lights etc)
Added to that, at the specific curve mentioned, and the one before it, people do not bother about lanes. Middle lane people "automatically" go to right lane, and at the next curve, they automatically come back to middle lane.
People do not bother about lane here. They only drive "straight" even if the road is curved.
that makes things very complicated.

Some one suggested speed breaker !!!
IMHO that would be a very bad idea.

Last edited by sriturl : 16th July 2008 at 12:53.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sriturl : Some one suggested speed breaker !!!
That road is actually one of the exceptions in BLR, by not having a speed-breaker, and that too an un-scientifically shaped s/b. Why not regularize it like all other roads ?
Old 16th July 2008, 13:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

I used to live just near the Ejipura junction in 2003/04. That time there was so Ejipura signal and no EGL. The IRR used to be a speedster's paradise as there was very less traffic. Also because of the Sony World signal, traffic used to be in groups, so you could get relatively long time periods with almost nil traffic.

You hit like 120-130 kmph till you hit the bridge, brake till about 80 kmph as you take the left most side of the road to take the left curve (coz the banking for this curve is very poor), then move over to the right most lane as you take the right curve accelerating all the time. It was awesome. You would still be doing 110-120 as you near the flyover (which was being constructed at that time)
WARNING: You can't do that these days with all the traffic and the U-turn!!!

The other side from Indiranagar to Ejipura was just one big high speed track. Once you have good acceleration to the point where you have Dell now, you could easily sustain speeds of 130+ till just before the Ejipura junction !! The curves are not tricky at all and are banked properly.

As someone said, if you don't know that curve and are not in the right lane, you'll definitely skid, crash. Its better to brake before the curve and then accelerate into the curve...... rather than braking while taking the curve...
Old 16th July 2008, 14:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
It was awesome. You would still be doing 110-120 as you near the flyover (which was being constructed at that time)
WARNING: You can't do that these days with all the traffic and the U-turn!!!
Indeed, you can't. I no longer work out of EGL, but I still do hear some 'macho' guys boast about how they keep hitting 120 kmph on this road. The road may be very tempting, but the Bangalore police have the responsibility to create better awareness about the hazards.
Old 16th July 2008, 19:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

I travel on this road everyday, what i have noticed is that most people who try to speed on these curves are not able to maintain their line and tend to swerve towards the inside/outside lanes causing other cars to swerve to avoid them.
Old 16th July 2008, 21:43   #21
BHPian

Hi,

speed breaker!! Brother, why are we only thinking of 4wheelers? Are you aware how big a risk will a speed breaker be on a turning for 2 wheelers even with proper markings!

Vinay was just wanting us to aware ppl who are not used to that road because it is very true that the turns are kind of tricky! But when on an open forum like this we should be considering all kinds of motorists.

Putting proper road warning signs is one of the best way to tackle that!

Espcially in Bangalore I have seen speed breakers to be not just speed breakers but Chassis breakers. So a speed breaker is a no no!

On a lighter note, I for one love those turns, when on my bike cornering those turns at high speed is great fun and when on the vtec! aah! What can I say!

Cheers,
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
IRR's "U" turn after the Ejipura signal definitely needs a speed breaker with proper warning posts. Around a month back one of my friend had an accident as the indicab coming from the Domlur side took the U-turn only to ram into his 800. Luckily he got out with a broken thumb alone.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 16th July 2008 at 21:46.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
And also, when you are taking those turns you start in one lane and end up in the extreme opposite lane by the time you complete the turn - unless of course you know that you are 'driving' and not 'racing'
So true, it's really irritating to see guys jumping lanes at high speed at that stretch
Old 16th July 2008, 22:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ssjr0498:
Brother ! I suggested the speed breaker @ the U-Turn and not @ the road curving near the MNC's with proper signs and warnings so as to control the speeding morons who for that split second adrenalin tend to forget that there is a "U" turn and if you happen to ply on the ORR you might have seen those Speedbreakers (according to you the back breakers ) @ junctions and intersections, so why not on the IRR? If that is how the speed could be controlled then yeah it should be.

Regarding the curves, well being in the right most lane and tending to curve around is great fun too and even i enjoy it as well but you should see guys negotiating from the right most lane and driving straight instead of maintaining that curve and merging into middle lanes, so moronic to say the least.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 16th July 2008 at 22:52.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:54   #24
BHPian

I take this road everyday (once each way) and I can point out some reasons for accidents here. It's a good stretch of tarmac that invites even indicab and sumo drivers to audition for the Force India team. This though is not the problem. the problem is still the indisciplined state of affairs of our traffic. Let's face a fact - most of the time - some people will be in a tearing hurry, some in a hurry and some with no time issues. Thats the reason there are LANES. Over tha past 1.5 years that I have been using this road, I have seen that if you are in a tearing hurry - your best bet is not to honk or flash your lights - but to zig-zag between lanes. I see this happening everyday and admit to doing it atleast once a week.

This is the single most glaring lack of discipline on this road. For that matter not just this road - the ORR also always has goods carrier minivans and trucks in the right most lane - I believe they do this to get a good mileage. Same observation for the Bangalore Mysore highway. It's very rare that a vehicle moves to a slower lane if you honk or flash lights. The attitude is that if you want to go faster than me - find your way around.

Having said that, I think rumblers just before this curve would help - not badly designed bumps as is the habit of the nagarpalika! Properly demarcated lanes with Cat-eye reflectors especially on the curves would help - 2 good roads come to mind for this - Ahmedabad-Baroda Expressway and Mumbai-Pune expressway.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

A speed breaker in that stretch is more accidents waiting to happen !! If the army would be kind enough to allocate some land (they actually gave the land for the IRR) we could have an subway loop instead of the U-turn. That would be something. Not much of land would be need. Probably 100 metres on either side and a subway under the IRR. Hope someone takes this up with the Army !!
Old 17th July 2008, 00:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

They shouldnt have given that break in the divider just after the blind right-handed curve going towards Old Airport Road junction
Old 17th July 2008, 01:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Mag, where's the break in the divider after the curve? The break is just after the bridge and from Ejipura its a straight road till that bridge, then comes the divider. After that is the left turn and then the right curve. There are no more "official" breaks in the divider after that !!
Old 17th July 2008, 02:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
sanjay with you and mostly on those curves folks riding on the right most lane panic to maintain in being in the same lane and try to come onto the middle lane and many fail to negotiate this particular curve and hence the reason for such accidents @ that curve.
I agree with VJ MAVRICK, while taking those curves if you try to be very close then you will end up banging to concrete wall or you will even get on to next lane, best way to time curves would be, after you cross the U turn straight from Ejipura signal try to keep the vehicle in the middle of the road or toward left (not extreme, then you will land up in army fence).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I normally try to stick to the right lane, and I end up honking violently to all those right lane slow drivers.(rarely though, unless I see that they are really slow on extreme right lane, and do not move on any request like flashing lights etc)

Some one suggested speed breaker !!!
@ sriturl, Are you referring to the lane that connects from Indiranagar flyover to Ejipura signal?

If someone wants to really try their luck and driving capability then try the flyover curve that connects from old airport road to the Ejipura signal, its fun driving there but if you are over speeding and if you do not time properly then you will smash your ride to the concrete wall.

I have seen bikers trying to slant there bike and take a turn on that curve and ended up in drifting there bike and hitting the wall.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 17th July 2008 at 02:45.
Old 17th July 2008, 03:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
You hit like 120-130 kmph till you hit the bridge, brake till about 80 kmph as you take the left most side of the road to take the left curve (coz the banking for this curve is very poor)
You haven't lived till you're doing 12,000 rpm in an Esteem, at 140 kmph, and the goddamn psychotic driver has forgotten the bridge is actually raised a few inches off. Suddenly, you're airborne, and you can swear your entire life is flashing before your eyes. The left turn is taken facing the pavement, with the rear bumper almost scraping the divider. Switch back and try scraping the front, this time, on the median.

Don't sit with old people. They are injurious to your health.
Old 17th July 2008, 14:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Don't sit with old people. They are injurious to your health.
ROFL Akshay.

No harm in sitting with certain old people as long as they aren't in the drivers seat. But then, getting them to sit anywhere else other than the driver seat will take a zillion years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks