Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 11:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

U turn is a series of right turns taken in rapid succession. So a right turn indicator will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Actually, I would like to ban U turns all together as they create traffic problems. I would rather prefer to drive few meters more rather than sit in a traffic snarl.
So, Would you like to ban right turns as well??
Old 16th October 2008, 12:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
...Frivolous stuff man - make the license issuing, a hardcore tool to weed out the trafic problems today...

We should first focus on getting the basics right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
...one headlight not working - jail term...
and if that one headlight happens to be the right-side one --> death by hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
A doubt - I come to a roundabout and since I have some free time and want to admire the statue there from all sides, I want to go round and round this roundabout - how do I indicate my intentions?
Please follow the steps given below in the exact same order :

1. Put on the right turn idicator.
2. Continue driving around the roundabout slowly (speed less than 10kmph), admiring the statue from all sides.
2. As you drive around the statue, you may find something in it which is very admirable : then, sound the horn three times and at the same time flash the hazard lights three times.
3. Continue going around the roundabout.
(please note that taking photos of statues in roundabouts from moving cars is strictly prohibited)
Old 16th October 2008, 12:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So, Would you like to ban right turns as well??
Frankly, I would not ban right turns, but shall cut them to bare minimum. For example, in Bangalore, Airport Road has become quite easy to drive through and same is the case with inner ring road.

I am sure that many people who drive on the BTM Layout road leading towards Silk Board can relate to what I am saying. To travel about 1.5 kms, you would spend anywhere between 30 - 40 mins. That's really painful and huge waste of expensive gas.
Old 16th October 2008, 12:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
More than U turn indicators, we need a overtake me/don't overtake me indicator.
i agree. this is helpful in case if we are behind heavy vehicles.
Old 16th October 2008, 14:13   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Please follow the steps given below in the exact same order :

1. Put on the right turn idicator.
2. Continue driving around the roundabout slowly (speed less than 10kmph), admiring the statue from all sides.
2. As you drive around the statue, you may find something in it which is very admirable : then, sound the horn three times and at the same time flash the hazard lights three times.
3. Continue going around the roundabout.
(please note that taking photos of statues in roundabouts from moving cars is strictly prohibited)
Superb - I expected nothing less.

However, one nagging doubt about the hazard lights:
If I switch the hazard lights on, they will flash at a predetermined rate. Are you saying I should wait for them to flash thrice and then switch them off and repeat the cycle twice? Or just switch it them off after they flash thrice on the first switch-on?

When the hazard lights are on, your point 1 is no longer true.

I have seen many statues with large lawns around them. Large lawns mean bajji stalls - where can I get an indicator that says "Stopped for Bajjis"?

By the way, I checked the 'Rules of the Road Regulations" on the Department of Road Transport & Highways (Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways, Government of India).

Rule 12: Taking a 'U' turn - No driver shall take a 'U' turn where 'U' turn is specifically prohibited. If a 'U' turn is allowed the driver shall show signal by hand as for a right turn, watch in the rear view mirror and turn when safe to do so.

Before esteemed members pounce on me (via posts), please remember that you can use your right indicator for a 'U' turn and / or show a hand signal.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Bajjis

Quote:
... Or just switch it them off after they flash thrice on the first switch-on?....
yes, exactly.

Quote:
... When the hazard lights are on, your point 1 is no longer true...
Agreed.

Quote:
...I have seen many statues with large lawns around them. Large lawns mean bajji stalls - where can I get an indicator that says "Stopped for Bajjis"? ...
You dont need an indicator for that. Just get one of those reversing horns : you remember the ones that used to announce "Attention please, this car is backing up", well, there are similar ones available which say very loudly "Attention please, Stopped for bajjis". You should install one of these, and park the car with the reverse gear engaged, when you stop for bajjis. This way, the voice announcement + the reverse lights will warn all other vehicles.

Old 16th October 2008, 17:16   #37
BHPian

Maybe a large LED scrolling panel incorporated into the back of the vehicle which has a scrolling marquee showing what you want to do e.g stopped for bajji's/ on a con call don't make noise! etc!!! Of course a full qwerty keybpoard to let your creativity run wild for the messages. :-)
Old 16th October 2008, 17:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Maybe a large LED scrolling panel incorporated into the back of the vehicle which has a scrolling marquee showing what you want to do e.g stopped for bajji's/ on a con call don't make noise! etc!!! Of course a full qwerty keybpoard to let your creativity run wild for the messages. :-)
Ah you stole my thoughts mate!.
It would be lovely to flash messages at the santros putting a disco lightesque display or sumo's honking as if he has to attend nature's call within next 10 seconds. .
Old 16th October 2008, 20:51   #39
BANNED

Assuming that amitpunjani has the answer to his original question, may I request the moderators to lock this thread before it denegerates into a bad joke?
Old 20th February 2018, 17:41   #40

Re: U Turn Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
U-turn is a right turn.

Case closed
Still think a U Turn indicator in addition to right or left turn indicator is necessity. I have seen many situations where vehicles have bumped into just because the guy taking u turn and the vehicle behind him both use the same indicator.

Some thing like this:

Last edited by SDP : 21st February 2018 at 08:09. Reason: Typo
wacky1279 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 10:49   #41
BHPian

Re: U-Turn Indicator

Hi

Came upon this thread and I feel the matter it addresses is pretty relevant even a decade after it was started.

I never, I repeat, never ride/drive on the wrong side of the road even if I have to take a u turn from a cut after a km. I would prefer to take that u turn at the expense of traffic and time consumed. Now in our country even if one expects this from a car driver, it is very rarely done by a bike rider. I follow this practice on both.

Near my home this is a daily occurrence for me. The lane I have to take is on the right side of the divider (entering a residential area) and there are 2 ways to do it. The wrong way which most people follow is go on the wrong side of the road, into oncoming traffic and flash their lights to enter the lane and warn people coming on the right side.

The correct way, which I follow is to take the u turn where the divider ends, 200 mts ahead. I have been rear ended, honked at and given angry stares from people coming from behind me because when I give the right indicator on my bike or car people assume it is for the right turn which comes a further 200 mts ahead and not for taking that u turn and so they take it for granted and keep following me. They assume I am "not" taking a u turn and will be taking that right turn after 200 mts. I have even waved my hand and slowed down along with the indicator but this does not make a big difference.

Last month I was rear ended by 2 RE Classics. Both were in mint condition and it seems the riders had just taken delivery from the showroom since there were no license plates. One of them just scraped my bike and the other plain skidded and rear ended me. Needless to say they were riding like bats out of hell and despite my LED indicators and hand waving when I started slowing down, they assumed I will take the right up ahead and not the u turn.

What was surprising was that after the mishap when I got off my bike to check on the fellow who skid and almost fell, they started up and ran off. There was a police check post ahead and I easily caught up to them and asked them if they were hurt. They had a guilty "you caught me" expression on their faces. I gave them a piece of my mind saying that they should have had the decency to at least verify if I was ok. Thankfully no damages to either party.

But this does resonate the fact that most people do get confused whether the vehicle ahead is taking a u turn or simply turning right. I feel there should be some way of indicating this.
Vikram8891 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 14:48   #42
BHPian

I find it difficult to do this while on my bike, but while driving my car, I move my right index finger clockwise - as if stirring a pot of milk

This I have experienced to be a good practice used by many, as the right indicator alone may not convey my intention to keep turning. Given our impatient motorists, good signalling could be the difference between a smoothly executed turn and some bumper kissing!
hothatchaway is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 16:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I find it difficult to do this while on my bike, but while driving my car, I move my right index finger clockwise - as if stirring a pot of milk !
That is the hand-sign for taking U turn.

However, indicator lights are most mis-used and rarely used lights at the same time. While many would not switch on their indicator before any move, there are an equal number of people who use it for all different scenarios.

So, getting another unique indicator for U turn is just adding to the mess.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 28th February 2018 at 16:53.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 16:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Isn't that the hand signal for turning left?

Most of the drivers/riders on road don't even bother to use the one indicator they have. Giving one more indicator is just not going to help.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 16:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: U Turn Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky1279 View Post
Still think a U Turn indicator in addition to right or left turn indicator is necessity. I have seen many situations where vehicles have bumped into just because the guy taking u turn and the vehicle behind him both use the same indicator.
A person rear ending you is always at fault unless you have merged infront of him. Even if you stomp on the brakes, the guy following you should maintain a sufficient distance so as to come to a complete stop before colliding with you. The problem here is not the U-turn, but rather people's impatience and bad driving skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
They assume I am "not" taking a u turn and will be taking that right turn after 200 mts. I have even waved my hand and slowed down along with the indicator but this does not make a big difference.
Bad driver. No amount of signals and waving of hands will be enough when you encounter such folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
So, getting another unique indicator for U turn is just adding to the mess.
+1. It will just add to the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I
Most of the drivers/riders on road don't even bother to use the one indicator they have. Giving one more indicator is just not going to help.
Yup, unless people actually learn to use signals properly, one more is just a gimmick nothing more.

Last edited by blackwasp : 28th February 2018 at 17:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks