Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 20:18   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
So far, I haven't been pulled over by cops here for not having this sticker.
Scratch that! Got pulled over by a cop at a junction in Ahmedabad and he charged us for the absence of the yellow sticker on the driver side headlamp. Asked us to surrender my license and remit Rs. 1200 at the Surat RTO so I could get the license back. We begged as much as we could and finally settled for Rs. 300, IYKWIM here.

We were here for barely 40 mins and was leaving back when this happened. Lesson learnt! Next time, while passing through Ahmedabad city, we will stick a temporary sticker. Stupid money making racket!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st April 2014 at 20:25.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:02   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We were here for barely 40 mins and was leaving back when this happened. Lesson learnt! Next time, while passing through Ahmedabad city, we will stick a temporary sticker. Stupid money making racket!
Both my cars have a yellow strip permanently stuck on the RHS headlamp.
Have never been stopped so far at most vulnerable spots but neither did I want to risk bribing for a stupid sticker.
Back here and many folks ask me if I have a broken headlight that I resorted to sticker job as workaround!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:17   #108
BHPian

re: The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015

I too travel to Surat just 3-4 times in a year, but still have the sticker permanently stuck to the light even while I am in Mumbai.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:56   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Both my cars have a yellow strip permanently stuck on the RHS headlamp.
Have never been stopped so far at most vulnerable spots but neither did I want to risk bribing for a stupid sticker.
Much better paragbhai! I will ask the dealership and get one stuck. Why take the chances as long as I am a resident here in Surat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I too travel to Surat just 3-4 times in a year, but still have the sticker permanently stuck to the light even while I am in Mumbai.
In Surat, the cops do not seem to be bothered with this sticker. They seem to be more concerned about the window tints over this! It is usually the dealer who sticks this yellow sticker here but my dealer did not do that nor was I too concerned until yesterday.
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:03   #110
BHPian

Don't go to the dealer, just get it done from a local painter who makes number plates. I got the yellow radium sticker for Rs. 15
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:41   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

^ I simply purchased a 1" wide Yellow reflective vinyl sticker from a sticker cutting fellow and pasted it on both cars.

Even better, visit one of the friendly Garages, they will give you one complimentary too which usually has name of their workshop printed on that sticker.
The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-cc-28.jpg

The Yellow Sticker Shakedown In Gujarat Update: Rule abolished from March 2, 2015-front.jpg

In fact, even a simple yellow Electrical insulation tape will do.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd April 2014 at 12:46.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:56   #112
Senior - BHPian

Since the rule is quite idiotic why is not being removed?
No one (from Guj public) asked any question in a forum / newspaper etc?

(and why YELLOW sticker? why not some other color?)

Last edited by alpha1 : 22nd April 2014 at 12:57.
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:59   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Since the rule is quite idiotic why is not being removed?
No one (from Guj public) asked any question in a forum / newspaper etc?

(and why YELLOW sticker? why not some other color?)
With older gen car's reflector design the sticker indeed made a difference. However, with modern day cars, it makes no sense. Its totally hopeless when cars have projectors.

Yellow color if I recall correctly is to help cops identify the sticker from a distance.
Old 6th October 2014, 20:29   #114

Hi guys,

Is this yellow sticker rule still being followed in Guj even after the new Modi sarkar at center and his pledge to do away with archaic and corruption inviting rules? It almost feels like a regressive rules by the Guj state govt when everywhrere its being projected as a pro-development and business-friendly state.

Well will be glad if anyone can update me on the practise followed by the traffic police in the past few months. I am travelling to Rajkot from Mumbai in a couple of days and will most likely bypass Ahmedabad through ring road.

Regards
Fastrack21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 23:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack21 View Post

Well will be glad if anyone can update me on the practise followed by the traffic police in the past few months. I am travelling to Rajkot from Mumbai in a couple of days and will most likely bypass Ahmedabad through ring road.

Regards
Returned back from Ahmedabad last week only and I feel very sorry to say that Gujarat Police(specifically Ahmedabad police) is making every possible effort to extract money from a person travelling in an out of state car.

Make sure you carry all the documents (originals) i.e. Driving licence, RC book, valid PUC, Insurance certificate. Also, make sure that you paste a yellow sticker on the right headlight, they hardly care about how and where it is placed, it should just be present

All the best for your journey
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 10:42   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

I was unaware of this sticker till recently on of my friends told me about this. After reading this thread, I still haven't found any reason for having those.

I had driven a KA registered Safari once each in the last two years.
Never was I stopped or harassed for not having them. not just on the highways, but we had driven inside many cities and yet, not once we were stopped.
In fact as soon as we entered Gujarat, crossing Rajasthan, The police stopped us and thoroughly checked the car and all our luggage if we had any alcohol. They took more than 15 minutes for all this and eventually let us go since we had nothing. When they were unlucky with that, it was an easy option for them to hold us for not having those stickers right? Which they didn't.

Were we plain lucky both the times or are they now relaxed with respect to this rule?
Old 12th November 2014, 11:12   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I was unaware of this sticker till recently on of my friends told me about this. After reading this thread, I still haven't found any reason for having those.

I had driven a KA registered Safari once each in the last two years.
Never was I stopped or harassed for not having them. not just on the highways, but we had driven inside many cities and yet, not once we were stopped.
In fact as soon as we entered Gujarat, crossing Rajasthan, The police stopped us and thoroughly checked the car and all our luggage if we had any alcohol. They took more than 15 minutes for all this and eventually let us go since we had nothing. When they were unlucky with that, it was an easy option for them to hold us for not having those stickers right? Which they didn't.

Were we plain lucky both the times or are they now relaxed with respect to this rule?
You were just plain lucky and that is all. Both my cars "sport" this yellow sticker permanently now though I have taken the Ertiga only once while the WagonR entered GJ more than thrice.

I was never stopped till date on any of our drives whether it was my car with the sticker or friend's car without one.

Its just like how we get PUC Certificate done in MH even though we have either got a valid Emission Test Certificate from KA or our car is less than a year old. But ,who wants to get noticed and argue with the cops.

The Yellow sticker did make sense in the era when we had simple headlight reflectors (and single carriageway roads) but now with aerodynamic designs,double barrel head lights, projectors 'et al, this rule makes no sense at all.

The Hot spot for the checking is mostly the exit from NE1.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th November 2014 at 11:17.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 13:33   #118
BHPian

Hi

The yellow sticker would continue as I believe as there is no change proposed on Gujarat State & Mumbai Motor Vehicle Act, which governs entire Gujarat.

Here are two option for visitors/passersby

1. Keep yellow color Electrical Insulation Tape- Rs 10 Only and can be cut by Hand. Paste it before entering Gujarat (For e.g. after Udaipur) But there is a problem, if you leave the tape for more than a day, it leaves the glue on the headlamp, cleaning painful but it goes away. This is also the case with yellow fluorescent tapes from Number Plate makers.

2. Use Cello tape & Yellow color Marble paper. Cut Marble paper of tape width and paste it under the tape & on the light using the extended length of tape. In this way only the glue on the extended tape area is in contact and cello tape glues are better.

Last edited by Wanderers : 19th November 2014 at 13:35.
Old 12th January 2015, 13:41   #119
Team-BHP Support

Just a friendly headsup for those intending to go through Ahmedabad touching the city innards specifically - cops are stationed all over the place. Not sure if this is because of the Vibrant Gujarat meet but we saw cops at every nook and cranny of the city and catching unwary cars lacking stickers. We saw at least half a dozen cars getting pulled over and those lacked the yellow stickers on the headlights confirmed by my wife. Please keep some yellow insulation tape handy - the sticky residue is easy to remove with some WD40.
Old 12th January 2015, 17:26   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please keep some yellow insulation tape handy - the sticky residue is easy to remove with some WD40.
Why would you want to remove anyways . Colin helps too. Warm water is another easy one.

Its after all a simple yellow sticker and will help you when you drive there again!

I met a friend who picked up the XUV 5oo from Himmatnagar and he had white reflective stickers on both the bumpers provided by the dealer himself. Something that most of the cabs have (perhaps mandatory) in Bangalore.

Not sure if this was just a gesture by the dealer or they are under pressure by GJ officials to provide with one.

Most of today's car come with reflective bumper inserts anyways that is very much visible under dark. May be this is because of those idiots who don't know when they should use their tail lamps under hazardous(stationary) situations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks