Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 19:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow man that was a close one glad to hear all is well.. I myself am a strong believer of the safety provided by the gear lock. Thats the only security device in my car.
Old 7th June 2009, 20:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I have spoken with the Service Advisor and Workshop manager. They offered to replace my lock set when I asked for it. But they fail to understand that having the same key for the ignition, door and fuel tank cover is a really dumb plan. I had to make them see how it would be a really stupid mistake to replace the lock set without separating the keys for the fuel tank cap and the ignition/door. Further, they told me a lock set will take 12 days to source, which is ridiculous. I contacted the sales head at the showroom and demanded he source it from either G3 motors in Nerul or Asset in Kurla immediately, along with the immobilizer kit. The Nippon guys will only confirm tomorrow when they can fit my bolero with the kit, so until then, I'm camping out in the car for tonight.
This is a very old way of stealing a car, I have known of new Maruti cars being stolen by these(pre inside remote fuel lid opener), only they would first steal the fuel lid and the car a day or two later, unsuspecting owners wouldnt think like the theives and will be left without their car.

Surprisingly they have done this in a single night i.e. one of them is a locksmith.

Apart from installing the extra security device, I would suggest that once you change to the new lock set, keep one of the existing(older) lock for the fuel lid, this way any further similar attempts would be futile.

Also look at MicroVBB as a security option.

Last edited by dadu : 7th June 2009 at 20:46.
Old 7th June 2009, 21:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Though the guard did his job in the end, don't you think he acted way too late? Instead of waiting for the Police patrol, he should have called the cops using a phone... or called you up on the intercom immediately. If you had not installed that lock, your vehicles could have been lost while the guard looked on! Would be good for you if you could emphasize what needs to be done IMMEDIATELY, to your guards.
Sirji, the guard in question was not my building security, but belonged to the shopping center security team. He went out of his way to do someone else's job for which I am eternally grateful. As regards incompetence of security guards, that is a completely separate issue, one which I am not going to dwell on. Someone said, those who rely on others for their protection will always be hurt first. Its my car, my responsibility, my negligence. I'm at fault here, and will not blame anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Surprisingly they have done this in a single night i.e. one of them is a locksmith.
Apart from installing the extra security device, I would suggest that once you change to the new lock set, keep one of the existing(older) lock for the fuel lid, this way any further similar attempts would be futile.
Also look at MicroVBB as a security option.
Dadu Sir, I guessed one of them was a locksmith myself, and told the cops too. I am going to employ a separate locking kit for the fuel, and remaining areas. Details are still being worked out in my head. Knowing how Software guys find complicated solutions to simple problems, I'm sure I'll do something drastic. Thanks for the MicroVBB link, I have contacted them and asked for a demo of their products as well as price quotes. I will now need to ensure the installation of aftermarket security device does not void my warranty. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Appreciate all the responses guys, makes me feel a lot better. Though I'll still be sleeping in the car tonight. Paranoia is unavoidable I guess. I'll have a cricket bat for company though. An insurance policy.

Thanks,
Sriku
Old 8th June 2009, 11:45   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You are lucky, plain lucky, that the thieves weren't successful in their attempt to drive off with your car. The Bolero is a favorite with thieves....best selling MUV in India and can easily be sold off in another state to a tour operator etc. I remember Khaadu's brand new Bolero getting flicked in '07.

The gear lock was, in all probability, your saviour. Henceforth, make it a point to park the car indoors.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:16   #20
BHPian

No more Mr.Nice Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The gear lock was, in all probability, your saviour. Henceforth, make it a point to park the car indoors.
Point noted and implemented GTO Sir. Moby has been parked inside the building compound since the event, and has claimed a parking spot for itself. Certain society members have made dissenting noises, but have not spoken directly to me. I'm sure they will see reason when I explain the circumstances. Either ways, its none of their business where I park so long as I do not inconvenience other vehicle ingress/egress from the building. In fact, HV Kumar Sir has been fighting an uphill battle to ensure all member cars who park outside be allotted space within the building compound, and we intend to get this implemented as early as possible. We are facing some resistance from certain committee members, but I'm sure we will work things out with them one way or another.

I have been speaking with the Mahindra workshop manager and sales rep about the security system. Apparently, I cannot get a system installed from anybody but the dealer/workshop, or my warranty will be void. The system that the dealer installs (via partnership with Nippon) is standard fitment in Xylo/Scorpio's. It includes audible alarms, impact sensors and immobilizer. Looks like the MicroVBB option is not possible and I'll have to settle for the Nippon system. If any TBHP member can reply with usage and effectiveness information of the Nippon system, I'll be grateful.

On the matter of replacing the lock set, neither the showroom accessory guys nor the workshop have it in stock, they actually asked me to go to Dalvi Motors in Hari Nivas, Thane to procure a set. I have no clue as to whether the set I get from this place will be original, or a knock-off. Am going to speak with some other Mahindra dealerships in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai to get this organised. Since it is the first few interactions with the workshop people, I'm being polite, well mannered and patient. I haven't yet used HV Kumar's influence there (he's a celebrity at the workshop, for obvious reasons!), but will consider it if I lose patience.

On another note, I've been blasted by my cousin for parking a new car outside, the only reason I parked out on the street was because I did not have an allotted parking space in the building, I could've simply parked in some other known enclosed areas to avoid all this, but did not want to ask favours/inconvenience others/break rules. This "nice-ness" almost cost me my car.

Cheers,
Sriku
Old 8th June 2009, 13:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sriku, Am glad Moby is safe and sound again. Me too stay in Sonchampa (In-laws)/Siddhachal, didn't know you stay there. Have met HVK frequently, also saw Moby and a Scorpio parked within the complex today morning and was wondering how the society allowed to park there. Good for you that you found a place to park within the compound. See you around!

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 8th June 2009 at 13:39.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quick Query

I thought Immobilisers worked through the ECU of an engine. As the DI Turbo or other old diesels don't have ECM how would immobilisers work in their case?
Old 8th June 2009, 14:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

May be I need to start sleeping in the car

Ani, IF i were u mate, I wouldn't let the missus read this......

Just kidding bro!
Old 8th June 2009, 15:02   #24
BHPian

Sriku, you are lucky to have Moby with you. The post scared me. I have a Dzire and I keep worried when I have to park it outside. I try and park it in places with secure (I believe they are secure) places like malls, or places of high visiblility. Thanksfully at home I don't have to worry as we live in a campus which is very safe. And as for office, I have a designated parking.

Coming to security of the car:

How safe and effective are the autocop / nippon etc? I have seen the tow-truck guys disable it in under 5 seconds. Not a sound. Does it really help or just a conveneince - remote locking and unlocking?

I have used a steering lock in my first car. Not sure if it helps. Can be cut in less than 30 seconds. It is a deterrant.

Gear lock - every car in Delhi has one. Or so I believe. Works well. Does it harm the underbody? Given the 4 month long monsoon and moisture in Mumbai? Comments welcome.

Seen those clamp lock put on wheels? The traffic cops put them on cars towed away. They lock the wheel. Look very sturdy. Don't think one can mess with them. Are they available in market? How much do they cost? Just by the looks, I think them to be the best security device.

I am planning to drive down to Delhi and spend a couple of nights there on my way to the Himalayas. Already having nightmares about how will I park my car securely. What all do I need to do to ensure the security of the car. Please help.

Sriku, I am sure, you would have adequately thanked the guard who saved your car. Just a thought, see if you can write a note of appreciation to his employers. A written note goes a long way.

Dzire comes with the Maruti iCats system. How effective is it? I read a post by GTO saying cars with iCATS - Maruti and Scorpio continue to be stolen. This is scary. I would like to know how do the theives crack the iCATS. Does anyone know?

Ciao,

Dushmish

Last edited by dushmish : 8th June 2009 at 15:12. Reason: Added the portion on iCATS
Old 8th June 2009, 15:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

thank to god that he did a favor to you this time. Gear lock is a sure shot resistance to thieves. In my SX4 I engage it even for small halts at market.

In case you have to park it outside, besides all the security tools, keep it covered as well. A covered car does not provide the view to plan a theft.

I need a good quality steering lock.
Old 8th June 2009, 16:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Another thing - instead of just team-bhp stickers, put stickers of your own that are distinct.

On xbhp, one prominent member's heavily modded p180 was flicked and tracked down in two days because another member saw the bike but the rider was not wearing the trademark (green?) helmet - he called him up and voila!

Trust me decals isnt a bad option if you don't have secure parking.

Given the growing popularity of TBHP - tbhp stickers won't remain exclusive for long
Old 8th June 2009, 16:26   #27
BHPian

Few security options.

I have come to realise that there is nothing substantial I can do to improve the security options for Moby. The MicroVBB kit installation will void warranty, but here are a few that I can get done from the workshop:
1. Install Nippon security alarm system
2. Change lock set (so hard to find a lock set!)

Self-driven measures:
1. Purchase steering clamp

Options that I need information on:
Whether I can mate the computer cut key and lock set, and remote release fuel cap cover from the Bolero VLX CRDe to my Bolero. This seems to be the best option, but am unsure the workshop guys will be able to help me technically. I will have to go there and drive this implementation myself. Any advice/tips from our resident Mahindra guru's will be most welcome.

I will now search these forums and try to locate information on Mahindra personnel/parts dealers in and around Mumbai who can be contacted for this. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll be very grateful.

PS: Thanks Rehaan for editing the original post. It was early in the day and I was fuming from the near theft, hence the arson-al rant. I've apologised for it in a subsequent thread as well, and re-affirm my regret at the choice of words now.

I realise now that I'm taking a lot from my association with Team-Bhp, and not really contributing much myself in terms of my input. I can only thank you guys for the solid support which is all one-way towards me.

Cheers,
Old 9th June 2009, 10:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

A few quick comments:

- As Sriku observed, do you think a computer-cut key will prevent any attempts to make a duplicate key in site like what these burglars did?

- Very clearly, the remote opener for the fuel lid will ensure that even if the thieves were to remove the lock in advance for profiling, they will not be able to cut a computer key (I believe you can now cut a key on machines available, I have seen one such guy in Churchgate area in Bombay)

- phamilyman's suggestion of a removable steering wheel is great - like what we do for our car stereos

- Does the ignition lock (in Autocop) continue to work when the wires are removed from the battery terminal? (which is what a thief would do to silence the Autocop)

- One other good idea would be to remove the master fuse - the car won't start! But the hitch to that is in the Bolero (and SCorpio), the master fuse is located in the engine bay and not under the dashboard, which makes it a messy job. Maybe you can route the wires inside.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A few quick comments:

- Does the ignition lock (in Autocop) continue to work when the wires are removed from the battery terminal? (which is what a thief would do to silence the Autocop)

- One other good idea would be to remove the master fuse - the car won't start! But the hitch to that is in the Bolero (and SCorpio), the master fuse is located in the engine bay and not under the dashboard, which makes it a messy job. Maybe you can route the wires inside.
Removing the master fuse resets the ECU to state 0 or neutral mode. We need to get it re set from workshop. I learned it hard way. Hidden switch also cuts off the supply from battery resulting in state 0 of ECU
Old 9th June 2009, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

My first post?

I am the cousin who verbally abused Sriku for parking outside the building. I am aware of several instances of car-theft in Thane specifically targeting Mahindra vehicles. I think better security is past-due for these vehicles and it is unbelievable that the manufacturer can ignore the statistics and focus on cosmetic upgrades.

Using a single key for the gas-flap, doors and ignition has "Stupid" written all over it.

Anyway - I can keep an eye on Moby from my apartment balcony so anyone harboring any plans of making a second attempt better wear a helmet and come because my entire tool-box is going to be raining down at them one wrench at a time!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks