Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 06:49   #1
BHPian

Brand new Bolero: Almost stolen.

Hello fellow Bhp-ians,

An introduction:
I've been a regular stalker on the forum, and have posted few times as I am a relative newbie here. I have been listening more than talking myself. And it has saved my brand new car. All thanks to Team-Bhp, and in particular Mr. H.V.Kumar, our own road warrior. Please allow me to narrate an incident that has happened about three hours ago, the morning of Sunday, June 7.

The attempted theft:
I have recently taken delivery of a White Bolero SLX from Global Gallarie Thane. The vehicle pooja happened on the day of delivery, Friday. Since then, I have torn off the plastics, filled the gas tank and taken my parents to a multitude of temples in Thane and Mumbai. This morning, at around 3:30 AM, our building watchman calls up on the intercom line and wakes us up. He informs us that the beat patrol police want the owners of the bolero to come down and meet them. I should explain, that due to lack of parking space within the building, I have had to park outside the building, along the pavement near the gate. My dad wakes me up and we head down to see what may be the problem. I am bleary eyed and do not expect to see and hear what I did. As I meet the cops, I see another area security guard standing there. This gentleman mans the security box at the junction 50 feet away from our building. He tells me that he noticed 4 guys in a black Maruti 800 stop along my car, and fiddle with something for 20 mins. He did not have the courage to take them on alone, and kept an eye out for the half hourly beat patrol that guards our locality at night. As he spots the cops some distance away, he raises the alarm by blowing his whistle and runs towards the maruti with his lathi in tow. This prudent act on his part scared the thieves, (who I curse with the plagues of hell), and they bolted. The cops check the car and notice all the doors are open. They ask me why the doors are open, as if I left the car unlocked. By now, I am wide awake and my engineering logic gets active. I open the car door, and see the handbrake has been released. The vehicle is stationary on a downhill slope only because of the reverse gear engaged and locked by the GEAR LOCK that I had insisted be fitted before delivery. I remember HV Kumar Sir fitting one before his legendary sunrise to sunset trip, as he had to pass through Bihar. At that time I had decided that it was a worthy security device to have and made a mental note to get it fitted. Without the gear lock, the thieves would have easily taken off with my new Bolero. Then I notice the gas tank cover. The lock on this cover is missing. The lock is open able by the same key that starts the engine. Its clear how the thieves were able to open the car door.

Method of opening the car:
The Bolero SLX comes fitted with central locking and remote key. Unfortunately, there is just one key that starts the car, as well as unlocks the doors and also importantly unlocks the gas tank cover. This gas tank cover is a rectangular sheet of metal with hinge that can easily be pressed open. This is how the thieves tried to steal my car. They pressed open the gas tank cover, took the lock out of the cover, and somehow managed to create a duplicate key from this. Using this key, they managed to gain access to the driver side door, and the interior. At this point they have disengaged the hand brake, and made ready to start the car. Usually we engage neutral prior to starting, this is when they must have noticed the gear lock. And when the security raised the alarm. Its is now upto me, with the forums help, to secure my car.

Security:
1. Immobilizer. This is not factory fitted, but I will speak with the dealer and service manager to install it without voiding my warranty. If they still void my warranty, then I will raise hell.
2. Steering lock: Mainly for preventive purpose. I know the steering can be broken and this lock can be negated. But whatever gets me through the night.
3. Audible alarm: The Bolero remote locking does not use an audio notifier. Only the indicators blink to show the locking is successful. I will have to fit some audible system for both remote locking as well as theft alarm.
4. Am running out of ideas here, request fellow forum mates to suggest better security systems. Any inputs will be hugely appreciated.

Sriku

PS: Apologies for the indecently long post.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2009 at 15:32. Reason: Please do NOT post any threats (of arson or otherwise) on Team-BHP - regardless of actual intent. Thanks.
Old 7th June 2009, 08:11   #2
BHPian

OMG!!!!

That was indeed more intelligence than luck on your part.I guess I always underestimated the usage of gear locks.
Old 7th June 2009, 08:24   #3
BHPian

Did not the bolero have a security system like Autocop etc. Do get that installed also. Get the top variant where they have motion detectors, impact detectors etc. Knowledgeable thieves may be able to able to disengage that also, but it will act as a deterrent. Get it installed by a expert who is able to install it as tamper proof as possible.
Old 7th June 2009, 08:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

maybe the multitude of temples visited helped your car from being stolen!!
you are very lucky.The horror stories we all hear about how cars are being stolen nowadays.Most of them because they do not have adequate parking space.
Simple logic even a small gate is enough to discourage most burglars. when your car is outside it gives them plenty of time and confidence to tamper with your car.
I suggest you find a decent parking space during the night.
As for security you definitely need an immobilizer with audible alarm warning.And when you get one please do change the factory set engine code to your personal one.As burglars can get those details very easily.

Even small things like covering up your vehicle or getting tints can deter a thief by a small margin.

another very effective device ..well its not a device actually anyways.
get a secret button installed in your car which only you and the guy who obviously installed it knows about. when the switch is on the circuit is closed and the car can be started and when off the car wont start simple.Place it in a strategic place so that the thief wont find it easily.

if you don't have any alternative other than parking outside i suggest serious anti theft goods like steering locks etc,
you were lucky once, luck might not favor you again.

Last edited by vinaydas : 7th June 2009 at 08:33.
Old 7th June 2009, 08:27   #5
BHPian

You were lucky this time. Next time, you may not be so lucky. In my opinion, apart from securing your car, you should work out a way in which you can park it in a secured parking at night.
Old 7th June 2009, 10:23   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the advice and wishes.

All thanks to HV Kumar Sir, who also happens to be my building Managing Committee Head. We have earmarked certain spaces within the building for parking members vehicles that are currently out on the road. I have parked within the building with his support. Hopefully, I will get all the required security devices purchased and installed within the next 72 hrs. I'm on the way to the workshop to make sure they cooperate and my warranty remains valid. I am sure they will be supportive. If not, I will keep tact and diplomacy aside.

If anybody has a ballpark figure for the costs of well known security devices, I'm all ears. I'll update this thread with what measures I take.

Yes, God has given me a second chance. I intend to make the most of it. I'm also looking out for a black maruti 800 with stickers on the rear windshield. If you notice such a car in Thane-Vashi-Mumbai-Mira/Bhayander-Bhiwandi areas, please do note the registration number and PM me. I am speaking with the Police as well.

Thanks for the replies,
Sriku
Old 7th June 2009, 11:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sriku, definitely you are lucky on this one.

I also have bought a Bolero VLX which comes with the remote locking system, but in my case, petrol tank opens through a lever inside the car.

This report has definitely sent chills down my spine and am thinking of getting either the gear lock or immobiliser.

Please let me know how did the showroom guys fix the gear lock. A pic would be appreciated.

I'm now praying for your and my car's safety.

May be I need to start sleeping in the car
Old 7th June 2009, 12:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That is one shocker of an experience!

I hope your curse on them come true! (wicked!)

The gear lock - a must have is it!
Old 7th June 2009, 12:13   #9
BHPian

Oh ! No real Scary Incident. Thank God that your car is still with you Beware all Bolero owner.
I heard that by 2011/12 all the Car will come Electronics No plate and license. Any how I dont understand why Indian Car Company are not putting some Built in GPS component with the all new car. Its same for M&M also that their car is so easy to Steal.

Last edited by arin_12 : 7th June 2009 at 12:19.
Old 7th June 2009, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Good on ya mate. It would have been heart wrenching to have a brand new vehicle stolen. I knew gear locks were important , but this takes it to a whole new level.

Park the car inside the building for sure - thats the best preventive measure. Of course also get the other electronics fitted , but parking outside is an invitation.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Sriku, definitely you are lucky on this one.

I also have bought a Bolero VLX which comes with the remote locking system, but in my case, petrol tank opens through a lever inside the car.

This report has definitely sent chills down my spine and am thinking of getting either the gear lock or immobiliser.

Please let me know how did the showroom guys fix the gear lock. A pic would be appreciated.

I'm now praying for your and my car's safety.

May be I need to start sleeping in the car
MileCruncher, I hope you too think of getting an immobilizer fitted. Along with a gear lock. I will post a picture of the gear lock by tonight here. It is available on the xenos site as well (Xenos Technologies Ltd.). This is the U type shift lock which is bolted into the frame. The gear lock is a preventive measure, but it too can be broken with the right tools and enough time. This is why the immobilizer is mandatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Good on ya mate. It would have been heart wrenching to have a brand new vehicle stolen. I knew gear locks were important , but this takes it to a whole new level.

Park the car inside the building for sure - thats the best preventive measure. Of course also get the other electronics fitted , but parking outside is an invitation.
Takumi San, I have parked inside the building and will not leave the car out anywhere until it is loaded with all the security devices my money can buy.

I have spoken with the Service Advisor and Workshop manager. They offered to replace my lock set when I asked for it. But they fail to understand that having the same key for the ignition, door and fuel tank cover is a really dumb plan. I had to make them see how it would be a really stupid mistake to replace the lock set without separating the keys for the fuel tank cap and the ignition/door. Further, they told me a lock set will take 12 days to source, which is ridiculous. I contacted the sales head at the showroom and demanded he source it from either G3 motors in Nerul or Asset in Kurla immediately, along with the immobilizer kit. The Nippon guys will only confirm tomorrow when they can fit my bolero with the kit, so until then, I'm camping out in the car for tonight.

On another note, I've driven the car for about 350 kms in two and a half days, its a pleasure to drive in the city, but needs some planned non-AC downshifting to overtake on the highways. I've had to stay under 80 kmph for the running in, but get the feeling that given enough road, the bolero DI turbo can coast at a 110 kmph.

Many thanks for your replies, appreciate them.

Sriku
Old 7th June 2009, 16:13   #12
BHPian

It seems the burglers are intelligent professionals.
The attempt they made ,surprises us. How many ways are there to make the keys!

They did not cut the glass or broke it to open the doors because they might have thought that such a forced open might immobalize the engine or they were expecting such a system in your Bolero as already existing,though in reality it does not exist.

If they are small thieves they could have stolen only music/audio systems and gone.

In valet parkings at restaurants ,hotels,theaters there will be ample time to make duplicate keys. so one must avoid valet parkings at least while the car is brand new.

The best security is the parking itself. So try to find out a parking space inside, a secured gate even if it means some monthly rent payment arrangement.
That provides the best security than anything else.
Old 7th June 2009, 18:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dude/friend,

I am honestly impressed with you. You have a lovely security guard. Kindly give him a due inaam/jaadu ki jappi/whatever rocks his boat!! Do also ask him if he's open to working in Gurgaon? ;-)

Love your angry point 1

I am slowly beginning to realize the value of an aftermarket steering. You have got me thinking. Why not fit a removable aftermarket steering that can be unclipped and taken out every night? That should fox most thieves! I recall reading on tbhp - i have not seen one in real life so far

Steering lock is good. It is a visible deterrent - and makes them look at other "softer" targets.

Change the keys.

Can you make the fuel lock a remote release?

Park among other cars such that your beast is tough to maneuver out.

The thieves want to minimize the time taken in the overall operation. Any visible deterrents/inconveniences will make them choose another vehicle.

Also consider some jazzy mad decals. They love black pulsars because itsimpossible to find once stolen. Definitely not a pimped out bolero!
Old 7th June 2009, 19:40   #14
BHPian

Muchos Gracias Phamilyman, very intelligent tips.

Phamilyman, comments inline. Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Dude/friend,

I am honestly impressed with you. You have a lovely security guard. Kindly give him a due inaam/jaadu ki jappi/whatever rocks his boat!! Do also ask him if he's open to working in Gurgaon? ;-)

The security guard was an elder person, but still took on 4 guys with only a lathi. He has been rewarded for his efforts, with much gratitude. I have even spoken to his supervisor today to compliment his service. I never neglect my duty to wellwishers. I won't let him move to Gurgaon Sirji

Love your angry point 1

It was a little ranting and frustration, in hindsight, totally over the top.

I am slowly beginning to realize the value of an aftermarket steering. You have got me thinking. Why not fit a removable aftermarket steering that can be unclipped and taken out every night? That should fox most thieves! I recall reading on tbhp - i have not seen one in real life so far

You've got a good point there, let me see what can be done.

Steering lock is good. It is a visible deterrent - and makes them look at other "softer" targets.

Point Noted, I shall get one for sure.

Change the keys.

Can you make the fuel lock a remote release?
I will definitely ask the showroom/workshop people if this is possible. Fantastic suggestion. Muchos gracias.
Park among other cars such that your beast is tough to maneuver out.
This is already implemented. My car is back to back with a Scorpio, both vehicles have a reverse gear shift lock. This arrangement is within the building compound. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The thieves want to minimize the time taken in the overall operation. Any visible deterrents/inconveniences will make them choose another vehicle.

Also consider some jazzy mad decals. They love black pulsars because itsimpossible to find once stolen. Definitely not a pimped out bolero!
This is where I will have to part company. I cannot for the life of me stand any stickering on the car body. (except a team bhp sticker of course) The jazzy decals are for cars like the swift/fiesta etc. The bolero, who I have named Moby, is the great white beluga whale that Captain Ahab chased until his last breath. No prizes for guessing who plays Capt. Ahab in this version of the classic.
Old 7th June 2009, 19:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Though the guard did his job in the end, don't you think he acted way too late? Instead of waiting for the Police patrol, he should have called the cops using a phone... or called you up on the intercom immediately. If you had not installed that lock, your vehicles could have been lost while the guard looked on! Would be good for you if you could emphasize what needs to be done IMMEDIATELY, to your guards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks