Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 09:18   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Slight Floods in Bangalore this morning!

Bangalore has been battered with good rains these last couple of days - steady rain through the night.

I left home early to get to work early and avoid the morning traffic chaos.

Found that a large part of Koramangala especially the inner roads, are pretty flooded.

It was particularly good fun chugging through the flooded roads in my Scorpio where every single other car on the road simply chickened out and used alternative routes. Water was reasonably deep (for the city) - came up to the top of my Tyres, half way up the doors on the roads I drove this morning!

Any other rainy, flood-ish experiences are welcome - these last few days have been great in terms of rain replenishing our water starved tanks, catchments and lakes.

Every tree and plant looks lush and lovely, freshly washed and the lovely grey skies bring back memories of the way Bangalore was 10-15 years ago.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:36   #2
JVH
Senior - BHPian

It was indeed a rare sight. For as long as I remember, it always rained in the evenings in Bangalore.

In my area Sanjaynagar, driving wasn't much of a problem. But the outer ring road (Hebbal to Whitefield) was scary due to the battering rams (BMTC buses) and their insane speeds.

Rains in the morning I loved it.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did'nt have much problem in getting to office from my area - Rajajinagar to Kammannahalli, roads were not waterlogged at all on the route i.e Yesvantpur/IISc/Mekhri Circle/Hebbal/ORR to KR Puram
Old 17th August 2009, 09:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I left home early to get to work early and avoid the morning traffic chaos.

Found that a large part of Koramangala especially the inner roads, are pretty flooded..
Ditto - I decided to avoid the former lakebeds and came via airport road
Old 17th August 2009, 09:52   #5
BHPian

Bellary road at 8.30am today was flooded with traffic

Traffic at Kodigehalli junction signal light was extending upto Esteem Mall. As a result every one was trying to get on the service road leading to further chaos.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rains as we have had during weekend is what we want for Bangalore. Light to medium rains through the weekend. This will not cause any hindrance to traffic or flooding (In most areas. Some areas are so bad even a drizzle will cause a flood :-).) yet provide much needed water to Bangalore.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:37   #7
BANNED

steady rains and drizzle is what we need to replenish our water resources. this way it will seep deep into the ground and not result in disasters like big trees falling etc on account of topsoil being washed away.
we desperately need more rain and I pray it continues.

Also the rest of the drought ridden states really need rains - pray that it happens - it is very sad that more than 60% of our arable land is rain fed, rather than irrigated properly - even when we have advanced so much otherwise - and yet, we have the Mayawatis of the world going about building statues to herself and the Yediyurappas and Karunanidhis of the world busy erecting statues of great people in the hope of fostering peace and communal harmony - i wish they would spend the time and money on irrigating the land which feeds our people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Rains as we have had during weekend is what we want for Bangalore. Light to medium rains through the weekend. This will not cause any hindrance to traffic or flooding (In most areas. Some areas are so bad even a drizzle will cause a flood :-).) yet provide much needed water to Bangalore.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:57   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
In my area Sanjaynagar
Where do you live in Sanjaynagar? I am a frequent visitor to that side of town. We can meet up sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Traffic at Kodigehalli junction
Prabhu, I live at Amruthnagar, right opposite to the Kodigehalli gate. Send me your contact details, we can meet up over the weekend?
Old 17th August 2009, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Koramangala 80 feet road was flooded this morning . All cars taking a deviation and going through internal roads.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was there too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Found that a large part of Koramangala especially the inner roads, are pretty flooded.
I also saw the waterlogged roads in Koramangala on my way to Electronics City this morning.

The Koramangala 80 ft road from Maharaja Restaurant to Fabmall was totally flodded. Even the cabbies were having a tough time.

Thankfully, I was not driving my car. I was travelling in the office van, which waded through effortlessly.

I think the flooding was due to lack of proper drainage rather than the fury of the rain Gods.

Did anyone happen to take a snap ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 17th August 2009, 11:26   #11
BHPian

As usual I started from Mysore at 4:15 AM and it was raining heavily all the way from Mysore until i reached Bangalore due to which the traffic was very less and it was fun driving all the way.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:38   #12
BANNED

wouldnt have minded taking snaps - only, I was driving through those waterlogged roads at the time and it would have been a pain to snap pictures at the same time, not to mention, unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I also saw the waterlogged roads in Koramangala on my way to Electronics City this morning.

The Koramangala 80 ft road from Maharaja Restaurant to Fabmall was totally flodded. Even the cabbies were having a tough time.

Thankfully, I was not driving my car. I was travelling in the office van, which waded through effortlessly.

I think the flooding was due to lack of proper drainage rather than the fury of the rain Gods.

Did anyone happen to take a snap ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 17th August 2009, 11:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone has an update on current conditions at Sony word junction and inner ring road ?
Old 17th August 2009, 11:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Koramangala 80 feet road was flooded this morning . All cars taking a deviation and going through internal roads.
Reason enough to spend more than half an hour on Indiranagar 100 ft road.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:56   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

I live in a area that is pretty low lying. I have been afraid of the basement getting flooded incase of heavy rains. But (touchwoood, fingers crossed) nothing of that sort has happened in these last few years. I think this is because of the better equipped drainage system to handle the rains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks