Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 14:48   #2101
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Finally some good news. If we are not seeing enough freak accidents due to these, it is only because of the motorists being careful. It is very common to see the metal barricades lying on their side on the road, making it dangerous. And even otherwise, these go against the laid down rules of driving in many cases and thus causing accidents. Eg. they have these barricades placed at the junction in front of TopCity restaurant on OMR - one on the leftmost lane and one on the rightmost lane. Coming from Sholinganallur, I need to take a right-turn at this junction to go home. So as I approach the junction, I move over to the right lane. But once I am near the junction, I need to turn left to go around the barricade and then right to take the turn. And all this while you have buses/cars speeding down on you in the middle lane. How more dangerous can you make things ?
I've had mixed experiences with the barricades. While they are annoying sometimes, once you get used to them, they're quite fun. If you know where the next one is coming up, you can use that to annoy others who are trying to overtake you. I've lost track of how many times I've slowly shifted lanes anticipating a barrier, and have some idiot try to overtake me from the left/right and suddenly have to go back after seeing the barrier coming.

Plus when you need to take a turn or a U turn, having a barrier sweeps the right lane hoggers to the middle. Else switching to the right lane is a nightmare with everyone going down that lane at breakneck speed. Also, having the barrier on the other side gives you some breathing space to initate the turn (else people from the outer lane on the other side will keep cutting you off)

Dad said he saw a three car pileup A few days ago, after somebody braked to avoid a barrier after seeing it at the last minute - not sure what specifically happened - some bus swerved at the last minute.
He thought that was why they were being taken out.
Old 9th January 2014, 16:33   #2102
Distinguished - BHPian

I too think they were not all bad.

However, any sort of barrier, without warning, without lighting, and without any other sort of lane control, is a danger in itself.

Surely this must be the only place where putting an unlit barrier across a main road is considered a safety action?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 22:48   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Plus when you need to take a turn or a U turn, having a barrier sweeps the right lane hoggers to the middle.
But what is the whole point when you (who is to take the right/U turn) also has to move to the middle lane to negotiate your way around the barrier placed on right lane ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
However, any sort of barrier, without warning, without lighting, and without any other sort of lane control, is a danger in itself.
I am yet to see a single barrier in Chennai or Kerala that has advance warning or any kind of lighting. So, these are more hazards than anything else. The ~20 feet divider placed in the exact centre of the road just as you come down from the Kathipara grade-separator towards AshokNagar takes the cake. There you are coming down at high speed assisted by gravity and then the MTC bus in front of you (he knows the route well due to doing it many times a day and thus plays the game greenhorn mentioned) suddenly moves to the left. You assume it is because he is planning to stop, but a second later you see that there is this wide barricade bang in front of you and you then do multiple RVM glances etc before deciding whether to follow him or go around it from the right. Whoever thought of that barricade positioning ?

From the motorist's POV, these barricades were not only irritating, but a safety hazard. Still, if they atleast benefited the group for whom these were put in place ie. the pedestrians, we could move on. But the pedestrians still are dependent on the motorists slowing down for them, inspite of the barricades, because during non-peak hours the cars/bikes whizz by and during peak hours, the mad scramble does not help them make a judicious crossing.

I would rather they instead setup traffic lights at these locations - atleast we can see it from far away, instead of being surprised by one of these monsters suddenly appearing in front of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
Sun film drive in chennai is definitely moot. The heat here is totally crazy they should let the rear seat carry the sun film.
No denying that Chennai during summer can be terribly hot, but is the heat really such an issue in an a/c car ? Other than in our M800 (in which an a/c is more ornamental than functional), I never felt heat to be an issue in the other cars. Never felt the need for sun-film due to heat in any of our cars, other than for privacy - but that was when young.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:25   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what is the whole point when you (who is to take the right/U turn) also has to move to the middle lane to negotiate your way around the barrier placed on right lane ?
erm, I've never had that problem. Usually for a U turn, you put on your right indicator, switch to the outside lane, go up to the gap in median, and take your turn. Right? I just stay in the middle lane till the barrier comes in. Switch to the outer lane when you have passed the barrier , and you can do that leisurely, since there are no outer lane hoggers, and wait to take the U turn. It's even easier to cut onto the other side.

Just switch to the outer lane only after you've passed the barrier. It isn't that hard, really.

I have to make a U turn to reach my office, and it has been infinitely easier since they put up the dividers. Even the other turns (for example from towards infosys from the opposite side to take the back road) The pros outweigh the cons of the inconvenience while driving along the rest of the road. The only part where it creates problems is at Jain college, especially when the road gets flooded

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th January 2014 at 23:28.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:43   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
I've never had that problem. Usually for a U turn, you put on your right indicator, switch to the outside lane, go up to the gap in median, and take your turn. Right?
Yes, that is my understanding of how it should be done. Each of us could ofcourse improvise on that and come up with our own logic, but then that defeats the whole purpose of having a common laid-down law, which was my point. I dont see a point in having to move to the right-most lane to take a U/right turn and then having to come to the left to go around a divider and then again to the right. It puts me at risk of either being hit by the guys going straight or hitting someone.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:53   #2106
BHPian

After one month of heart in the mouth lowlife-dodging experiences, I finally get my 'crash' course on Chennai's traffic discipline. An imbecile in a splendor speeds down the wrong side of a divided road (100 feet bypass road, Velachery), crashing into my Alto's front bumper. The moron picks up the bike and leaves without a care in the world. Damages: a broken number plate, a badly bent bumper which most probably needs a replacement and a completely ruined day
Old 10th January 2014, 17:34   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
After one month of heart in the mouth lowlife-dodging experiences, I finally get my 'crash' course on Chennai's traffic discipline. An imbecile in a splendor speeds down the wrong side of a divided road (100 feet bypass road, Velachery), crashing into my Alto's front bumper. The moron picks up the bike and leaves without a care in the world. Damages: a broken number plate, a badly bent bumper which most probably needs a replacement and a completely ruined day
I understand the shock in such situations. However, we must be ready with our mobile camera's to click the Reg. no along with the photo of such guys.
It would really help in your insurance claim process atleast, if not while filing an FIR.

Hope you have a Zero dep, clause in your insurance. Else, bumper cost will be paid only 50% if required for a replacment.
Also, pls check for any coolant leaks before you dirve off to the MASS.

Don't worry and By the Way, Welcome to Chennai!.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 17:29   #2108
BHPian

Was stopped by a traffic inspector at the signal, opposite to cancer institute yesterday. I was wearing a helmet, moving per signals, within speed limits... I was riding a KA plate Suzuki Zeus. The guy asks for paper, I take my time to retrive it. He scans through it. He folds the paper and says politely I wanted to check if you had paid TN road tax. Thanks.

Traffic cop this polite. Some traffic cops are also humans, after all.

Last edited by ravradha : 10th February 2014 at 17:31. Reason: added details
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 17:40   #2109
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Had you paid TN tax ?
Old 10th February 2014, 18:34   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
....Some traffic cops are also humans, after all.
On a related note.... saw this on CCTP FB Page today!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1546353_834098269950041_1019020686_n.jpg
Warwithwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:15   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Had you paid TN tax ?
I had paid the TN tax. You can see my learnings here.

I shall be getting the TN registration number in a month or so.
ravradha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:33   #2112
BHPian

Mann! the traffic lights go from green to red directly with a hint of yellow :O was left in the middle of the road like an idiot!
Old 11th February 2014, 12:09   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
...Traffic cop this polite. Some traffic cops are also humans, after all.
I would tend to believe that most are, it is only the few bad apples that make the experience sour.

Thanks for sharing this experience, ravradha!
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 12:12   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades
Mann! the traffic lights go from green to red directly with a hint of yellow
Guess the "hint" for us is that year-end or monthly collections are not up to target.

Jokes apart, not having a clear yellow before moving from green to red could lead to accidents due to panicky motorists braking hard on seeing red and getting rear-ended.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th February 2014 at 12:13.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 12:38   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Jokes apart, not having a clear yellow before moving from green to red could lead to accidents due to panicky motorists braking hard on seeing red and getting rear-ended.
Seriously.. the guy before me almost fell after a skid since the traffic on the other side started coming! We need superhuman reflexes for these kind of traffic lights

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks