Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 21:11   #2641
BANNED

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Every time I rant about the Chennai roads and traffic, someone butts in and claims that Bengaluru is real bad or that I should try Mumbai rush hour. I feel small that I have trashed a nice place...only till I encounter a Tata Ace careening towards me next morning; a few choice expletives later I arrive at work and let loose on the minions!
But then, it could be worse !
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 00:00   #2642
Distinguished - BHPian

An auto driver we know was standing talking to his mates at their stand. They saw a car coming towards them, and had the idea someone needed directions, so nobody moved. The car driver did not slow down or stop.

Our friend ended up on the bonnet of the car, where his face smashed the windscreen. His lower leg is broken in several places.

Yes, they did catch the driver and beat him (It's pretty dumb to run down an auto driver at his own stand!) and demand money. The car driver came up with all kinds of bovine-excrement excuses, and they only got 8,000 out of him, which is better than nothing, but right now our friend cannot walk, let alone drive.

Old 15th November 2015, 10:15   #2643
BHPian

Heavy rain here. OMR between tidel park and sholinganallur is under water at many places. Take care while driving
Old 15th November 2015, 15:47   #2644
BHPian

I had to come down to office today, and the water logging on various roads is really bad. Also the Alandur Subway, and the subway(forgot its name) on the inner ring road connecting the GST road to Velachery is also closed. So to reach OMR, I had to drive all the way to the chromepet flyover, chennai 1 and them turn right to omr. Not sure what would be the state while I leave in the evening!!
Old 15th November 2015, 16:16   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Has been raining heavily since noon in the Semmanchery area and I dread to think of taking the car out tomorrow to work. Will hitch a ride with a colleague in his "truck".
Old 15th November 2015, 16:21   #2646
BHPian

My office has sent out an email advising us to work from home.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 16:55   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
My office has sent out an email advising us to work from home.
The problem to opt for this is that the broadband cannot be relied on. A tree or pole falling can disrupt the connectivity for couple of days. For the first time, both BSNL and ACT got cut last week, and got re-connected back only last night. Also the power cuts cannot be predicted!!
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 16:58   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
The problem to opt for this is that the broadband cannot be relied on. A tree or pole falling can disrupt the connectivity for couple of days. For the first time, both BSNL and ACT got cut last week, and got re-connected back only last night. Also the power cuts cannot be predicted!!

True. My office tends to put our employee lives and comforts above all else though :-) . So if it means it will be a holiday, so be it.
hajaar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 18:30   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Wifi dongles are a good solution atleast to the broadband problem. I am using airtel 4g dongle and it worked flawlessly (even with heavy VPN usage peaking at 2Mbps most of the time). My bsnl dsl connection is still down and I think I know why- cable cuts everywhere in my locality
Old 15th November 2015, 18:40   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
True. My office tends to put our employee lives and comforts above all else though :-) . So if it means it will be a holiday, so be it.
I heard Airtel 4G/3G failing at some places in the City.

I wish all companies think about their employees like yours'.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 18:42   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Which company ? Please let us know :-).

Updated: My office has sent an email that general shift regular IT folks (not including Infrastructure and BPS ) office will be closed tomorrow 16th due to the rain. Please check your emails before leaving the house.

Last edited by sjcherian : 15th November 2015 at 19:10. Reason: Added text.
Old 15th November 2015, 19:48   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, love to hear that. Hope other companies at least puts an effort in this direction!!
Old 16th November 2015, 12:21   #2653
BHPian

Current condition of the roads in Chennai!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1447656509644.jpg
Thillai ganga nagar subway is huge! It's completely submerged now!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1447656523782.jpg
Velacherry again

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1447656542442.jpg
Nelson Manickam road(last night)

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1447656560263.jpg
My street, this morning! Had to wade water that was bumper high.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1447656583815.jpg
ECR
saadat1992 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 12:41   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Heavy rain here. OMR between tidel park and sholinganallur is under water at many places. Take care while driving
How is the condition of the road today, I have some visitors to Perungudi today and tomorrow? Thanks.
Old 16th November 2015, 13:18   #2655
BHPian

Im told the OMR is not bad, but caution is required. The office bus was able to reach. Navalur throught Tidel park, perungudi, sholinganallur. Not sure on what is store if it rains even more. Many lakes are reaching its limits!!

Pls. avoid the Vandalur - Kelambakkam road. There is massive water logging just after the IIITD turn, and could get worse. Also on the Maduravayal bye pass there are some massive craters at the end of the porur lake bridge, and also closer to the tambaram Exit

With water logging all round the city, which of the 3 transmissions takes a larger hit ie the manual, AMT or Auto transmission ? Also how do they ensure that the engine does not stall in Auto/AMT while going through a water logged road / subway?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th November 2015 at 14:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks