Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 13:11   #2971
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Ola/ uber share to guindy instead of bike if you travel during regular hours is something worth considering
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 12:01   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Friends, I have to travel from Adyar to Guduvanchery for the next 3-4 months wrt work. I tried driving, it doesn't take much time, but takes a toll on the mind and body.
I'm thinking the best alternative would be to take a two wheeler to Guindy railway station and then take a train to Guduvanchery. And repeat the same on my way back.
Is there any other way which could be less taxing or time saving?
What you have mentioned above is the cheapest and very less taxing approach. I would suggest you to stick to this
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 12:20   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I have to travel from Adyar to Guduvanchery for the next 3-4 months wrt work. I tried driving, it doesn't take much time, but takes a toll on the mind and body.
I'm thinking the best alternative would be to take a two wheeler to Guindy railway station and then take a train to Guduvanchery. And repeat the same on my way back.
You might have to align yourself with the train timings for this.
While there are a lot of trains till tambaram, trains to chengalpet and tirumalpur(kancheepuram) are not that frequent.
You have back to back trains (within 5 mins) and after that its a wait for more than 15 mins. Download the Chennai Local trains app to get the timings of the train(its not realtime train monitoring though, but gives the timings, which is more or less accurate).
Anticipate your convenience of travelling through train during Chennai summer though

Or otherwise, as hserus suggested, take a company transport if they provide.
I used it for my office commute to Mahindra City and trust me it was very peaceful than using the train and own transport. Would take my car once or twice a week, when I know that I might have to stretch a bit a work.

Guduvanchery traffic during morning hours (07:30 till about 09:00) is crazy sometimes. Which part of Guduvanchery also depends, since you might have to factor the commute between Guduvanchery railway station to your place of work.

The real pain actually is the traffic between vandalur and Perungalathur on your return if you use your own transport.
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 12:31   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
After I drove from Rajakilpakkam (East Tambaram) to MCity for about 7 months daily, i am started using ola/uber and train now. I took the uber pass (which limits the charge to Rs.99/- per trip), but cab availability is not good at times. Especially after the bus strike, getting cab in the morning is very difficult so started using car (but the good thing is traffic is bit less in the road).
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 12:46   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you park your vehicle on the Race course side of the Guindy railway station since it is easier both when arriving and leaving.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 16:50   #2976
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Or see if your company has a staff bus on this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I used it for my office commute to Mahindra City and trust me it was very peaceful than using the train and own transport. Would take my car once or twice a week, when I know that I might have to stretch a bit a work.
Unfortunately no office transport at this stage. I've been driving and it is not fun on this route. I'm inclined towards own transport only from a comfort point of view. And my work demands no fixed work hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
While there are a lot of trains till tambaram, trains to chengalpet and tirumalpur(kancheepuram) are not that frequent.
You have back to back trains (within 5 mins) and after that its a wait for more than 15 mins. Download the Chennai Local trains app to get the timings of the train(its not realtime train monitoring though, but gives the timings, which is more or less accurate).

The real pain actually is the traffic between vandalur and Perungalathur on your return if you use your own transport.
Thanks hamster, checked the app - useful stuff! I think a week of run on the train route and it should give a fair picture.

In fact all the way up to the Tambaram by-pass on my way back is bumper to bumper traffic on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Ola/ uber share to guindy instead of bike if you travel during regular hours is something worth considering
This seems better to me. I hate to leave my two wheeler in a badly maintained railway parking. And with the crowd Guindy station sees everyday, I'm sure it is a chaos in there.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:25   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

The bus strike.

As I am a newspaper, not a TV, man I always have yesterday's news. Is it still on?

Whilst the lack of congestion caused by buses is pleasant, I am surprised that it is not more than made up for by an increase in private cars. But I don't really drive in office hours.

When I say "pleasant," yes, I mean for us drivers who would be in our cars anyway. I'm not so insensitive as to not recognise that it must be very, very unpleasant to those who rely on the buses every day!
Old 10th January 2018, 09:49   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The bus strike.

As I am a newspaper, not a TV, man I always have yesterday's news. Is it still on?
Yes It is still on. The trade union has hardened its position and so has the Government. Meanwhile the general population has to suffer the double whammy - buses are not running and the buses which run are driven by temporary drivers - auto drivers and lorry drivers with little experience. Be wary of buses now. Yesterday I had to desperately move to the left to avoid a marauding state run bus which was driven like a Juggernaut.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 12:20   #2979
BHPian

Yesterday, I made the mistake of leaving for work by 930AM instead of 8AM like I usually do. Horrendous traffic everywhere.

And then this cab guy side swiped me when I was waiting on the extreme right lane at the Teynampet signal, shouted at me and sped off (more like crawled off but I couldn't do even that). Thankfully, its only a minor brush and I was able to wipe off his paint from my wheel arch.

I did take a photo of the cab guy though.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_20180109_095831.jpg  

hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 09:12   #2980
Senior - BHPian

With the bus strike, its actually much worser than usual. The few buses that are running, are running beyond footboard Its pleasant to drive at 730am, but beyond that in the mornings and all evening I see a significant increase.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 10:17   #2981
BHPian

With the PTC buses being driven by temporary drivers and the daily reported accidental deaths - I think we should stay clear of these buses on the roads and be really careful and give them as much room as possible.
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 18:47   #2982
BHPian

Hows the traffic scene at OMR currently? I'm hearing from couple of my friends that there's some issue going on, so there's a huge traffic pile up.
Old 24th January 2018, 18:54   #2983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hows the traffic scene at OMR currently? I'm hearing from couple of my friends that there's some issue going on, so there's a huge traffic pile up.
The traffic cops near SRP tools apparently got into an argument with a young cabbie they stopped for not wearing a seat belt, and allegedly bashed him up. He got depressed, poured diesel and set himself on fire.

Now all the local cabbies there are protesting plus the usual crowd of voyeurs that gather around an accident or death site.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...eat-belt-75302
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 19:01   #2984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The traffic cops near SRP tools apparently got into an argument with a young cabbie they stopped for not wearing a seat belt, and allegedly bashed him up.
While unfortunate, the extortion from cops was reaching unbearable levels recently, and something like this was bound to happen. I hope this forces them to tone things down.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 12:31   #2985
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I would suggest that you park your vehicle on the Race course side of the Guindy railway station since it is easier both when arriving and leaving.
I tried this last week buddy. Distance wise it was super easy. But the parking area is very small and shabbily maintained. Every time the rider has to manually lift and move other vehicles to park / take out their vehicle. It was open to sun as well.

Found an alternative and a very good parking lot within the Guindy Metro Rail campus adjacent to the Guindy railway station. The parking costs the same but comes with a fully covered and tiled parking area with security and CCTV cameras. On my way back to Adyar, I have no choice but go to Kathipara to make a U turn. This 2 kms extra is well worth the safety of the vehicle all day.
tud is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks