Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2018, 00:26   #3016
BHPian

Regret the back to back messages, just wanted to close the loop on this -

IRCTC just solved the problem for me by sending the message below -

T.NO:12028 SBC-MAS EXP SCH TO LEAVE SBC AT 06:00 HRS ON 06-05-18 IS RESCH TO LEAVE SBC AT 11:30 HRS ON 06.05.18. PLS CONTACT 139/ENQ FOR CORRECT TIMINGS.

Will complete this journey by car tomorrow.
Old 6th May 2018, 00:36   #3017
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

My wife was on the 5.30pm today (Saturday 5th May, posting just after midnight!). The train did not even reach Central Station until just before 10.00pm: departed 10.40.

Old 6th May 2018, 01:42   #3018
BHPian

My wife left yesterday morning on the Double decker at 7:30, reached in the night 7:30, after a detour to Tirutani.
Old 6th May 2018, 03:07   #3019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
after a detour
Detours? My wife could be anywhere right now, then! Hope she ends up in Bangalore within the next few hours...
Old 7th May 2018, 10:03   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
My wife left yesterday morning on the Double decker at 7:30, reached in the night 7:30, after a detour to Tirutani.
I was supposed to travel to Chennai on 5th May night by train no. 12692. I booked the ticket beforehand and got the message that the train will run via Jolarpet, Katpadi, Tiruvannamalai, Villupuram and then join the Chennai-Trichy main line before reaching Chennai Egmore.
Not sure the reason for this diversion. I had to cancel the ticket due to other reasons though.
Old 7th May 2018, 10:26   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Not sure the reason for this diversion.
The reason is posted in the previous page. It is due to some track maintenance near AJJ (Arakkonam).

There were also were multiple jams allover town when I was entering town on Saturday afternoon. Took me 2 hrs following unusual route home from Sriperumbudur.
Old 7th May 2018, 16:21   #3022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Detours? My wife could be anywhere right now, then! Hope she ends up in Bangalore within the next few hours...
No detour: the journey duration was normal. Just, it started five hours late.

Chaos. Debacle.
Old 10th May 2018, 13:21   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Traffic police to go cashless for fines.

MAY 10, 2018 01:14 IST

Quote:
The Chennai city traffic police will be going hi-tech in terms of traffic fine collection. They are going cashless to put an end to allegations of bribery and misbehaviour by traffic policemen. Soon, they will be focussing on contactless enforcement.

A motorist, if caught for a traffic violation, will be provided with a challan. He/she can pay the fine through card, online payment with SBI, Paytm, Chennai Corporation E-Seva centres, post offices or at the court,” said a senior police officer.

On an average, the police registers 8,000 cases per day and the fine per motorist ranges from ₹500 to ₹1,000. However, there have been allegations of traffic policemen taking bribes from motorists.

To put an end to this, Commissioner A.K. Viswanathan will be launching the ‘cashless enforcement’ on Thursday. “This is part of the government’s e-governance initiative,” said a police officer.

The officer said that after this, traffic police constables will not collect cash.

“Strict action would be taken against policemen who carry unaccounted cash. We already had 100 card-swiping machines. But they were not being utilised,” said a police officer.
News Source : http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le23829726.ece
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 17:53   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Resurfacing in progress on the Saidapet bound side of Mount Road at Nandanam signal, looks like the Metro work atleast on one side of the road is complete. I saw the station work was going on the other side as well when I walked to Lanson Toyota last month, but the barricades are still on on that side of the road.

This article says DMS-Airport will be open in a month, let us C++
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 22:55   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was an alternate route to by-pass the toll booths on OMR while driving in from Adyar. I need to travel to Thoraipakkam from Adyar everyday and would love to avoid these tolls if possible. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 15th May 2018, 23:34   #3026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There actually is a legend that Vishnu in his Varaha form married 360 daughters of a local Rishi, all of whom merged together into the goddess of this temple.
Thanks for this input, just happened to see it. Well, my sceptical take on this temple is because of the yarn that the garland-sellers weave; they cite the name 'nithya-kalyana' to justify this reputation of this temple....

Anyways, I think I spotted you earlier tonight near Pallavaram. Please confirm!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4400923
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 07:43   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was an alternate route to by-pass the toll booths on OMR while driving in from Adyar. I need to travel to Thoraipakkam from Adyar everyday and would love to avoid these tolls if possible. Your help is much appreciated.

Yes you can. Start in ecr and take a right at Neelankarai will lead you to Thoraipakkam. A little longer and heavy traffic compared to OMR. I don't think it is worth considering for daily drive. It's up to you.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 07:46   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Thanks for this input, just happened to see it. Well, my sceptical take on this temple is because of the yarn that the garland-sellers weave; they cite the name 'nithya-kalyana' to justify this reputation of this temple....

Anyways, I think I spotted you earlier tonight near Pallavaram. Please confirm!
No no, the legend is part of the temple’s sthala puranam (story behind its establishment / claimed history), the garland vendors are just cashing in on the existing reputation.

And yes that’s a legit spot of my Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Yes you can. Start in ecr and take a right at Neelankarai will lead you to Thoraipakkam. A little longer and heavy traffic compared to OMR. I don't think it is worth considering for daily drive. It's up to you.
The toll folks are glad to sell you an annual pass that works out rather cheaper. Ask at the office next to the toll gates.

Last edited by hserus : 16th May 2018 at 07:49.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 07:53   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The toll folks are glad to sell you an annual pass that works out rather cheaper. Ask at the office next to the toll gates.

You get an annual pass only for residents of OMR with a valid address proof. Not sure if you can get a subsidised pass if you work there but stay outside.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:45   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
You get an annual pass only for residents of OMR with a valid address proof. Not sure if you can get a subsidised pass if you work there but stay outside.
Local residents get it for free after producing address proof. Others can buy a smart card pass for 60 trips in 30 days, for example.

http://itel.tnrdc.com/toll-rates/

Ask your office you can probably get it reimbursed.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks