Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 12:30   #2881
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_arun View Post
The long awaited Porur bridge ...

Its a bumpy ride over the bridge!! Check out the white line for the road level.

Nothing gets BUMPIER than the mighty Velachery Flyover/ Overbridge for MRTS. Wish it gets black topping too, like this one sooner!
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 12:31   #2882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I choose madhya Kailash and I make sure I slip in through the center lane(no one ever maintains lane there, I just ensure im in the middle..
No offence mate but I happen to be one of the many who follows lane discipline particularly at that spot. Agreed that there are only two lanes clearly marked but how does that make it our right to start a third lane?

Its because of this very practice that folks who follow lane discipline at this spot (as is the case at other places) are delayed. I dont know if I will be shot down here for this post / opinion but in any case, I much rather have a peaceful drive back home.

Not to mention, am usually the person cursing the autos, cabbies, trucks and buses who do this but when I hear this here..

Come to think of it, folks who take a right turn towards Tidel Park here are the least bit worried about traffic going towards Adyar as that is the lane that is worst affected as a result of this. End of rant.
Old 27th June 2017, 12:45   #2883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope it reduces the traffic and the wait time in that junction.
Massively!

I travel from Iyyappanthangal to L&T for work and crossing this junction between 8:30-10 AM and 7-8:30 PM was a pain before. Not anymore. They have in fact blocked the Anjappar junction divider ahead of the flyover so the traffic movement is smoother. For folks who have to go to Arcot road from Anjappar must now take a U turn below the flyover.
Old 27th June 2017, 12:47   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence mate but I happen to be one of the many who follows lane discipline particularly at that spot. Agreed that there are only two lanes clearly marked but how does that make it our right to start a third lane?
I prefer filtering and getting forward than stuck behind. The survival of the bravest is the easiest way to ride in OMR post 5PM. Its a mad world out there. I dont even use this road with motorcycle. If i take car i ensure i load some movies to watch while waiting for the car to move every 30 minutes.

Tidel park should bear the flyover cost and get done with a flyover and SRP tools needs another flyover. Poor planning and execution the reason for this road becoming worse than Banglore.

OMR is the only place(SRP tools and Tidel) where i feel i am in Banglore. Bone chilling AC car, never moving traffic and idiots all around you trying to make even pedestrian wait for signal to turn green.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:41   #2885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The long awaited Porur bridge has been officially open to public last Sunday 25th after a small trial a week back by public themselves due to heavy traffic in rain. ... ... ...
I love that the public was not prepared to wait for celebrity politician before using the ready-to-use-road. But, it seems the officials closed it down and reinstated the barriers.

NB: I am not an anarchist
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:48   #2886
BHPian

This unscientific and ridiculous speed hump was constructed on my street and it was way too high and it wasn't even a smooth transition over it. Motorcycles and cars with reasonable ground clearance found it difficult to cross over it, so you can imagine the plight of my non-existent ground clearance car!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1498983038225.jpg

Dropped a complaint to the Chennai City Traffic Police Facebook page and they had it removed within 48 hours.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1498983114244.jpg

Two days ago they had this new and improved speed hump constructed. Kudos to the quick response of our traffic cops!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1498983133283.jpg
esoticoreventon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 15:38   #2887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Two days ago they had this new and improved speed hump constructed. Kud
That's amazing. Only problem is that the new one doesn't look, at least in the photo, like something that anyone would even slow down for!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 16:08   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's amazing. Only problem is that the new one doesn't look, at least in the photo, like something that anyone would even slow down for!
So far, atleast the sight of it is making everyone slow down. Maybe as the days go by people will realise they don't need to slow down that much for this speed breaker! I did read about our law, and the Indian road Congress says the speed breakers should be 0.1m high, 3.7 m wide and vehicles should be able to cross it at 25 kmph.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 23:14   #2889
BHPian

The Chennai Traffic police have proposed changes on the OMR in order to curb traffic snarls during peak hours. They are closing the turn on OMR towards Ascendas through the CSIR road. While this move will put an end to cabbies taking all three lanes to wait to turn right on that road, won't it cause huge lines at the SRP tools junction?

The service road outside Tidel park is being made one way is also going to cause vehicles to travel quite a lot far before taking a U-turn at Madhya Kailash.

Thoughts?

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1501090808904.jpg

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1501090823098.jpg

Source: CCTP Facebook page.

Last edited by esoticoreventon : 26th July 2017 at 23:17. Reason: Adding source.
esoticoreventon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 12:13   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Thoughts?
The proposed movement was how it was in 2010-12 before Ramanujam IT Park became operational, except for the right and left blocked at Ascendas.

The MGR Film City Road was a pain even back then, when I went August last year, the entire road was a bloody mess with food stalls allover the place

IMO allowing Ramanujam IT Park to be constructed at that place was a huge mistake. The Tidel signal already took anywhere between 3-5 minutes even before, now its a complete disaster.

Last edited by narayans80 : 27th July 2017 at 12:19.
Old 27th July 2017, 13:16   #2891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO allowing Ramanujam IT Park to be constructed at that place was a huge mistake. The Tidel signal already took anywhere between 3-5 minutes even before, now its a complete disaster.
IMO the mistake was not to have over bridges at MKailash, Tidel, SRP Tools and shollinganallur. That is the only solution that will work as we continue to reproduce and populate our cities
Old 27th July 2017, 17:48   #2892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The Tidel signal already took anywhere between 3-5 minutes even before, now its a complete disaster.
If nobody, but nobody was allowed to cross the red signal it would not be too bad. And by nobody I mean particularly buses.
Old 28th July 2017, 06:55   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The MGR Film City Road was a pain even back then, when I went August last year, the entire road was a bloody mess with food stalls allover the place
The food stalls have been moved further down the Road closer to IIT Research Park and the road is good to use now with dividers in place at least till Ramanujam IT park exit point.
Old 28th July 2017, 12:43   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If nobody, but nobody was allowed to cross the red signal it would not be too bad. And by nobody I mean particularly buses.
Partially agree. But the signal cycle at peak hours itself was 180 seconds (as of 2012). Anywhere later than 815am, you wait 2 cycles minimum, which is partially attributed by the signal jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
IMO the mistake was not to have over bridges at MKailash, Tidel, SRP Tools and shollinganallur.
My opinion on bridge in the city corporation limit is pretty low, courtesy of the unscientific bridges since the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
The food stalls have been moved further down the Road closer to IIT Research Park
Precisely my problem. I have to reach IITM Research Park and the Film City Road is useless for this reason. It was like threading a needle with a bike, let's not bother about anything bigger. The alternate now will be to take a U at SRP, left at CSIR Road, right at Pillayar Koil Street and enter through the back entrance. Or totally avoid OMR and come via Velachery.

Last edited by narayans80 : 28th July 2017 at 12:44.
Old 4th August 2017, 19:24   #2895
BHPian

The EVR Periyar Salai will be opened for two way traffic from Sunday. So no more fighting with MTC buses on the Spur tank road!

The Metro Rail work has been completed and there is no longer a need to keep the road as a one way road from the Ega theater to the Nehru park Metro Station.
esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks