Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2018, 15:10   #3076
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

One side of the Kasturba Nagar main road (from Ambika Appalam Depot to the Pillaiyar temple / Hero showroom) is being dug up to install a pavement.
Old 18th July 2018, 15:27   #3077
BHPian

This Monday had to visit DB Jain college in Thoraipakkam and so to reach the college I paid INR 54 (including return) just to touchbase the OMR road while coming via 200 ft road from Kamatchi hospital side. It was the expensive 50 meters I drove in my life.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:58   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
This Monday had to visit DB Jain college in Thoraipakkam and so to reach the college I paid INR 54 (including return) just to touchbase the OMR road while coming via 200 ft road from Kamatchi hospital side. It was the expensive 50 meters I drove in my life.
CoolGuy, Next time take the right cut before toll and enter the MCN nagar and just follow a cabie. you will come out near sangeetha on OMR (diagonally opposite to DB Jain) and make a U turn at DB jain signal to enter the college
It works two ways.
54 INR saved.
Reisender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 17:30   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
CoolGuy, Next time take the right cut before toll and enter the MCN nagar and just follow a cabie. you will come out near sangeetha on OMR (diagonally opposite to DB Jain) and make a U turn at DB jain signal to enter the college
It works two ways.
54 INR saved.
Narrow road known to every single cabbie, share auto, office goer and staff bus. Good luck with getting stuck half an hour fighting jams on that road, which generally happens when some bike scrapes a passing car and both people get off and argue in the middle of the road.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 20:27   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Don't take this route if you're in a tall SUV. There is a metal restrictor bar, and a Scorpio for example can get stuck.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 18:57   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Narrow road known to every single cabbie, share auto, office goer and staff bus. Good luck with getting stuck half an hour fighting jams on that road, which generally happens when some bike scrapes a passing car and both people get off and argue in the middle of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Don't take this route if you're in a tall SUV. There is a metal restrictor bar, and a Scorpio for example can get stuck.
Storm water drainage work is going on in that road and it might take may be another 3 weeks before the work gets completed. I find this route to be much quicker than taking the toll and waiting at the 200 FT road - OMR road signal. I regularly take the bypass road and during peak hours the bypass road is quicker than your toll road but I wouldn't advise taking the bypass road at least for the next 3 weeks. Also as greenhorn says tall SUVs may struggle as there is a metal restrictor bar.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 16:27   #3082
BHPian

Expect major traffic problems today as the health of Tamil Nadu's former Chief Minister, M Karunanidhi, has deteriorated and the hospital has said his vital organs functions are failing. Schools have closed and all police personnel have been asked to report for duty.

If anyone is driving today try to start home early and reach safe. In case there is any announcement made, expect trouble. If you can, leave your car at work and go home by public transport. Keep your safety as the number 1 priority. Stay safe everyone.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:14   #3083
Distinguished - BHPian

It took me 120 minutes instead of the usual 40 minutes to get home from Thoraipakkam to Selaiyur. Started at 5 PM and saw a mass of humanity on the roads like I've not seen before in Chennai. Those relying on public transport were hard placed with the strike today, sadly. Phew!
Old 7th August 2018, 19:23   #3084
Team-BHP Support

Chennai TBHPians take care while commuting, passing away of Mr Karunanidhi was just announced on national news channels. May his soul rest in peace and hope people mourn in peace.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th August 2018 at 19:25.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:32   #3085
Senior - BHPian

There were intermittent traffic jams allover the city this afternoon. Quite a lot have left home early as a precaution. Took me 40 mins (opposed to usual 20) starting at 415pm. By 5, all except 2 in my office had started home.
Old 8th August 2018, 19:08   #3086
BHPian

I was driving on kodambakkam high Road yesterday evening and suddenly saw a huge crowd running towards the shops. I was a little taken aback. Then realised that they were all running towards the Tasmac shop there. Apparently there was an announcement that it will close shortly and hence the panic!

Tried to take a photo of the line there - sorry for the bad quality of the image. Took it while the car was moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1533735455753.jpg  

RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 15:19   #3087
Team-BHP Support

Henceforth, only Ola cabs from Chennai airport. Uber can drop the passengers at the airport however.

The Hindu

It's been ages since I've hailed an Ola cab!
Old 15th August 2018, 16:14   #3088
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm distressed that the Kottivakkam ECR Tasmac has re-opened. Yet again, safety, common sense (and law?) are disregarded.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 09:34   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Henceforth, only Ola cabs from Chennai airport. Uber can drop the passengers at the airport however.

The Hindu

It's been ages since I've hailed an Ola cab!
When you book an Ola ride from the domestic terminal, make sure you tell him to pick you up opposite to Sangeetha restaurant. Their GPS seems to have some flaw and may direct them to the International terminal. Last week I had to wait longer because of this confusion.
Old 16th August 2018, 15:34   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm distressed that the Kottivakkam ECR Tasmac has re-opened. Yet again, safety, common sense (and law?) are disregarded.

So true. When the Tasmac was not there, two cars could move side by side, even with the share autos and umpteen motorbikes squeezing in between. Now a days there is always a traffic jam over there in the evenings, and gets worse on the weekends.
And this has also affected the peace on our streets, which is behind the Tasmac. Now, every day evening we have a stream of people heading toward the ECR from the beach side, well dressed and talking decently, and at night this stream returns, flowing in the opposite direction, with their clothes all crumbled up and yelling at each other, and some even talking to the ghosts.
Last weekend we had one chap who felt he would have reached home, and lay down to sleep in front of our gate. After an hour or so, our watchman decided that the this guy had enough rest and poured a mug of water on his face. The guy woke up, gave some choicest abuses to our watchman and left the place.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks